Taking apart a L1

Gerhard

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've taken apart and cleaned my L1 lamp today. I wiped the dirt out of the grooves, lubed the o-rings, cleaned the treads and cleaned the front window. It looks just as it did when i got it now :D.

Now that I took off the light head from the battery tube, I got curious: is it possible to take apart the section of the light circled in red here:

2lwr5hw.jpg

Has anybody done this before? I tried twisting it off with my hands, but it wouldn't come loose. I didn't want to break anything, so I stopped there and put the light back together. I am wondering, however, what's there to see behind it, how easy is it to take it apart / put it back together after opening that section?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Moka

Enlightened
IIRC I've seen a few threads in which people mention using heat and a strap wrench to break the loctite seal... Bear in mind before you do it you will void your warranty...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
That's where the LED and the back of the optic come together.

If you open that part you can focus the light! That is much easier said than done however. You will need to apply heat with a heat gun or something similar then try to twist it apart with 2 pairs of leather padded vice grips. It may take a few tries.

Oh there are other methods but this is the one I know of.

GOOD LUCK!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend once told me some of them is reverse threaded. I am not sure if this is true, I have never seen them before.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new E2L came apart there when I was intending to unscrew the whole head from the body. There was evidence of a treadlock compound, but obviously it didn't work very well on this particular light. Threads were threaded in the standard direction, btw.