KL1 on E2, 123's have different discharge rate?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
KL1 on E2, 123\'s have different discharge rate?

Can not figure it out. KL1 on E2 light was dim, so checked voltage of batteries. One was 2.18 volts, the other one was 2.65. Tried 2.19 in ARC LSH-P and it barely lit up, dim. 2.65 worked fine, bright. When I took batteries out of KL1 I did not notice position. Is battery closest to LED, and regulator draining faster? Or, visa versa? And why? Is this just a fluke? Have had KL1 head on E2 for awhile, but do not think 4+ hours.

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: KL1 on E2, 123\'s have different discharge rate?

I would guess it was just a bad cell. They should normally drain evenly.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

If one drains faster than the other, then you have reversed charge or there's something wrong with the one cell draining too quickly... In any case, probably not a good idea to keep on operating it with too variant of voltages on either battery...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I will switch out batteries for SF brand, and give it another whirl. Will Also pay attention to position of batteries when I check them ever so often. I like the KL1 head, and run time is supposed to be good.

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened

2 issues:

1. Heat - front cell gets hotter.

2. Transients - front cells may have to handle higher pulsed transients - as it is a switching regulator.

Rear cell may have transients smoothed out by the front cell - much like a capacitive ripple/smoothing effect.

Abe.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: KL1 on E2, 123\'s have different discharge rat

I reviewed privious thread on this phenomenom. It will be interesting to monitor the condition of my next set of 123's in the KL1. I will likewise monitor my maddmax with alkaline and rechargables, also my LSH-P with the 2AA battery holder. Sounds like fun.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1 on E2, 123\'s have different discharge rat

Been there - done that - have fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus