Surefire P-series drop in led

Lux et veritas

Newly Enlightened
I would like an opioion please, can someone tell me the differences between Lighthouse Solarforce LC-5 Drop-In with Cree R2 LED - Five Modes with Memory and the Malakoff m60 aside from the fact that the other has different modes? Is one brighter then other and/or more efficient? It is to be used in Surefire 6p or 9p?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Suregire P-series drop in led

The M60 is regarded by most as one of the best drop-ins you can get. The mode thing might be hard to use. The Solarforce might throw a bit more then the M60 but from what I've seen it should at most match the M60.

What's the voltage range for the drop-ins? 9v max means 3 CR123s max, 12v or more should mean it can take 3 Li-ions.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: Suregire P-series drop in led

The MalkOff has been designed with maximum heat dissipation and maximum transmission efficiency and maximum build quality and reliability possible. People who buy the MalkOff are looking for a product that matches or exceeds the reliability of the SureFire host it is often being dropped into.

Multi-Mode modules are great for many applications. The ability to stretch out that runtime for an all-nighter without power is a good thing. But in critical applications where you just need light NOW, there is no room for fumbling through modes. These situations are better suited for a single mode module with high reliability.

This is not to say that there aren't great alternaitves to the MalkOff, you just have to decide what you think is going to be best for your needs.

My personal feeling is that the "next best" thing to a MalkOff, is a DereeLight module, they have a ton of great options for modes, LED tint, and voltage ranges. They seem to have decent build quality as well.

There are a number of bargain modules all over the net. Some single mode, some multi-mode, some advertised as continuously variable output, etc etc. Some are Q2s, some Q5s, some R2s, some are claiming huge numbers while others are not.... The most important thing to keep in mind is that many of the resellers of these products around the net do not have the time nore expertise to test the product to see if it really is what it is claimed to be. Some of them are more exaggerated than others, some have a Q2 and are advertised as having an R2, some are more reliable than others, some only fit in certain lights, many do not have "mode switching" behavior as described by the description.

At the end of the day, it can be a nightmare to figure it all out. The best thing would be to try to read some reviews or comments around here of a known popular bargain module.

The problem is, there's a new module popping up every few days with a bigger number or fancier sounding buz words. There isn't any one place that you can go to gather good information about all the modules out there.

I have one of the "290 lumen 1 mode 3.8-18V" models in a 6P, and it seems to be just fine. It's bright, it has survived some drops, can't complain.

Eric