Power Outage (with bemashots!!!)

Burgess

Flashaholic
During a sudden Power Failure (at night) . . . .

Even though it was nearly 40 years ago,

i still remember this incident, word for word:

(Me, at my buddy's house)

Me: " Don't you have a Flashlight ? ? ? "

My Buddy: " Yeah, but it doesn't Work ! ! !

:hairpull:

Edited to add:

Due to the Date/Time snafu, this post of mine
is actually appearing before the Original Poster's message.

Sorry for any confusion.

I'm not tryin' to hijack yer' thread. Honest !

(smile)

(End_Edit)
_

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well we had a power outage not more than an hour ago....it lasted about 2 hours and here is what things went for me.

I used mainly a Magled for the candle mode feature. Light is good enough. I had retired this light to my camera bag and only today I noticed that there is a step inside the tube that hinders insertion of thicker battaries (due to bad machining that is).

It was good as long as it lasted cos I was running partially depleted cells and at a point the light cut-off.

Next to it was my Rexlight EDC. It was always with me and at a some point I installed an Ultrafire diffuser.:thumbsup:

My routine went as always. I took a bath, put batteries in the radio, I even removed some oil stains from a pair of pants. At some point routine was so good that I exited the room without any flashlight only to realize there was a power outage after all!:huh:

In the bath I tried the MagLED on the stand infront of the miror and a Glo-Toob inside the shower hanging from a shower curtain ring. But that was not good enough. I felt uncomfortable exposing the open MagLED to steam and humidity.

So I got a 3 cell Surefire (with an Ultrafire C-1 tailcap) and run a 3V custom module with 2 old AAs. It worked as a charm and I even showered the light on purpose.

Resolutions.

During the outage I was thinking of a buddy;s mom that lives alone. She has an Ultrafire 606B hanging in the kitchen. From now on any light gifted will have a GITD paracord lanyard.

All mu lights will have a small clip or carabiner on the lanyard from now own. Ceiling bounce is good but hanging the light from the room lamp/chandelier is better!

And now comes the fun part. With no TV I made my own neighborhood show. Taking advantage of the light unpolluted cityscape I took beamshots of various "strong" flashlights:poke:

(sorry for the crappy pics but they were taken holding the camera with one hand) Nut settings were chosen to portray the appearance to the eye.

Palmbalze

palmblazeki7.jpg

Dereelight 3SM-2 module

3sm2pm0.jpg

LF HO-9 bulb (3xCr123)

lfho9nu6.jpg

Mag 5761 (SMO reflector, 6xAA) :wave:

mag5761bu8.jpg

Mag85 (MOP reflector, 9xAA) (beam is off-center):faint:

mag85rx4.jpg

The fan part. :popcorn:

The neigboorhood was shocked.You should see the woman on a lighted balcony opposite mine. Some people were running candles.

Pedestrian comments were:

- Hey how come this man has power?
- He has a propane lamp :whistle:

- Hey put that spotlight off:eek:

- hey man, would you light our way to the 7-11 store?:clap:

The sad part

On the other side of our apartment there is a small square. I refrained from taking my beamshots there. At the side there is the police station. At the time there were some cops hanging out and NONE had a flashlight with him.:thumbsdow

So I did not risk having my dangerous implement lights being confiscated….:devil:

Enjoy all, Kostas

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeh if they are hotwires....

Sorry man but the HO-9 and the 3SM-2 have about the same lumen output....I feel the LED in the same paltform wins hands down...

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Good thing you have flashlights and were prepared! Many others I know are not, and even though they do have flashlights, they don't work!

Secur1

Enlightened
So i am scrolling down this thread, trying to find the OP :p next thing i know i come across the pics and go Hey.... this looks familiriar..... I scroll back up and sure enough there is another Greek CPFer :p

Geia sou Kwsta :)