How to modify this light?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I have this energizer light (uses 4 x AA batteries) which I would like to mod to using a LED light from DX. The light looks like this

product-6667525.jpg

and the bulb looks like this
05891.jpg

and i intend to use this cree XR-E Q5 on premium star. erm.. seriously i dont know which is a suitable one, all i wanted is to have enough brightness to blind a bear and long runtime from the 4 AA cells. maybe u experts here can recommend?

now, the problem is the holder of the krypton bulb is made of plastic and it doubles as a holder to hold the batts in place. i dont know if the heat from the cree star will melt or burnt the plastic holder. i intend to solder the board just on top of the plastic holder. i also intend to fill up the gap (as the cree star LED is much smaller than the krypton bulb) in the reflector with GID powder and epoxy mix. any advice? i will try to get a picture of the plastic holder and upload when i get home, if its needed.

Last edited:

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
I have the same light/lantern.

First off, heat transfer is non-existent in that housing! Unless you find some unique way of heatsinking the emitter, it'll :poof:in 25mins or less.

Secondly, that light is reverse polarity(i think thats the phrase), meaning that the negative contact goes to the bottom of the bulb. With incans, it's no problem cuz it works either way. BUT if you drop a regular LED drop-in like a Nite-Ize or Terralux, it will fry the LED. I modified the white plastic piece to be able to use the drop-in- but because of the lack of heatsinking, mine flickers after 15mins of constant On and i would have to let it cool down 5 mins before using again, NOT FUN.

Finally, taken into account what i said above, it's really pointless in modding it. Unless you're only using the light in short spurs or have some ingenius way of heatsinking the damn thing, you basically wasted your time and money.

Just my 2 cents...

ruriimasu

Enlightened
nismotor,
thanks for our input. i guess i should get a cheap thrower from DX instead :D
aww man.. i thought i could get by it with just a couple of dollars. :broke:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could throw a 4 Cell/3 Cell Magnum Star Xenon in there for improved output as well...I did this with my 4 AA Dorcy...now I got a cheap compact light that will still put out some decent light.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
If possible, put in 4 cell MagLED module.
If you can replace the luxeon led to seoul led of MagLED, it will 200% brighter than stock too.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
but will there be any heat problem with these bulbs as highlighted by nismotor?

hopkins

Enlightened
Sure there will be a heat problem! Yikes! Those modules suggested are fine but if
not heat sinked will die a young death.
My Cree headlamp needed this heat sink mod or would have died quick.
I had intended to do this mod when I bought it so as to get the expected
50,000 hour lifetime of the led.

I used an electric drill to make several small holes in the shape of the slot,
then cut out the extra plastic with a sharp knife for the aluminum strip.
Fairly easy. When screwing the front bezel window on, it holds everything
tightly together. Here's an inside view. ..lots of thermal paste:rolleyes:
2n7pg2e.jpg

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Did'nt know they had an active thermal safety. Good link; Thanks!
Here's an idea I may try. : How to heatsink a Mag LED when installed
in a plastic flashlight.
Several advantages as well as being simple. ie some focus control.
Although doing the final bend of the aluminum strip when its in the flashlight could require some strength.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wrizo5&s=4