30 watt Cardboard hotwire hexagon

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continued from https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210763so as not to hijack it:shakehead.

I built this light like the all the other ones with a simple profound purpose, "I wonder if this will work?:naughty::D" basically what you see here is a 30 watt 6.4 volt par46 bulb matted to a 8.4 volt, 1.5 ah NiMH sub C airsoft battery pack, though a 120 volt electrical toggle switch and a bit of poor solid copper wiring. The whole conglomerate is hold together buy a very well cut out, ok not well, but time consuming double layer shipping box, popsicle sticks "so the bulb won't just slip out the front", glue in the seams "for more integrity" and a big spring with zip ties to pull the massive bulb to the front of the assembly. The back is a thin piece of white cardboard simply tapped on to the body acting as a "tail cap". Overall the build was more time consuming then the mega cardboard 11.4 volt EDC light https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/203236, though that light is a lot more robust because of it's size. Though don't get me wrong, with all of the reinforcements in this light it's got much less flex then a typical Wal-Mart cheapo plastic D cell light:thumbsup:.

Here is a quick picture of my 30 W.H.H.B. , my Taskforce to it's left, and my
M.C.K.-ECD for a size comparison.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Nice mod! Well, more like a build then a mod.

It's always cool to see "normal" material used to make something so interesting.

So.........
Beamshot?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod! Well, more like a build then a mod.

It's always cool to see "normal" material used to make something so interesting.

So.........
Beamshot?

Curse the same reason I had the chance to make this light and the same one that keeps me from making beam shots. Money:broke:! If there is a few lights I wish I could take beam shots with, then this is one of them "It's beam is nothing short of a laser, simply breathtaking:faint:" but all I have is a freebee Sony Cyber-shot 3.2 MP camera. If someone out there knows how to adjust the shutter speed on this thing than I would flood CPF with beam shots like I flood it with every other picture I can take:devil:!

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing that light might have some issues getting a UL label :D

That's actually pretty cool....use what you have laying around to make something.

Reminds me that I need to get my butt in gear and make that light bar for our shed.

shomie911

Enlightened
Curse the same reason I had the chance to make this light and the same one that keeps me from making beam shots. Money:broke:! If there is a few lights I wish I could take beam shots with, then this is one of them "It's beam is nothing short of a laser, simply breathtaking:faint:" but all I have is a freebee Sony Cyber-shot 3.2 MP camera. If someone out there knows how to adjust the shutter speed on this thing than I would flood CPF with beam shots like I flood it with every other picture I can take:devil:!

Just do the best you can. Try to get it as close to what you're eye sees as possible.

We don't care if it looks professional, just like we don't care if your light looks professional. :laughing:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing that light might have some issues getting a UL label :D

That's actually pretty cool....use what you have laying around to make something.

Reminds me that I need to get my butt in gear and make that light bar for our shed.

Thanks for the compliment. I have hundreds of ideas for lights but I neither have the money or equipment to make them, I do have time on my hands at least so I do the best to test my imagination with the things I do have. The rear times I acutely buy something are exiting because then I can really see what I'm capable of. I just won a Bigbeam 1000 or something "seller had no model number" light from Ebay for $18, I have little idea as to what to expect when I get it but hopefully it will make a good base for a future build:twothumbs.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high tactile feedback of the "quick find" User Interface is a valuable pro for this custom build.

The anti-roll housing is inspired.

Designed around a pre-focused incandescent par lamp results in a hand held light source that is more powerful than the majority of lights discussed on this board.

The internal chassis design is an engineering element that could serve well if utilized in factory manufactured lights.

The multi-textured urban camo finish would appear to be highly effective. Considering that the majority of the populace resides in urban/suburban environments I would think it would be a wise move for flashlight developers to take a que from this design.

Bravo, Juggernaut. I like it. I like it a lot.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Juggernaut I really like your Cardboard Hexagon! It like the looks of it an It must really THROW with that large reflector.

Nice job on this light.:thumbsup:

litetube

Enlightened
Gentlemen, you are looking at the first tentative steps of a future custom Flashlight builder here on CPF. Not many have witnessed this growth from such an early stage. I foresee this light garnering a very large sum of money on C/B/S/T in the years to come .
Maybe we should all start a fund here and collect enough $ for a plane ticket for this young man to go visit and learn first hand from one of the Masters McGizmo,Endeavour or the likes?

Wil this take rechargebales and is there a future upgrade to LED on this model?
I think most would prefer a pocket clip to the holster also.

jeffosborne

Enlightened
What an interesting build! Good work! I would normally say the concept is thinking 'outside the box', but... I have not done any incan building, and did not know what the specs are for the 30 watt 6.4 volt par46 bulb. A quick Google and I find that it costs $16.99 from bulbs.com, 100 hours rated life, and the output is rated at 95,000 candle power. How many lumens is that, he wondered aloud?Thanks for sharing this build! Jeff O.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gentlemen, you are looking at the first tentative steps of a future custom Flashlight builder here on CPF. Not many have witnessed this growth from such an early stage. I foresee this light garnering a very large sum of money on C/B/S/T in the years to come .
Maybe we should all start a fund here and collect enough $ for a plane ticket for this young man to go visit and learn first hand from one of the Masters McGizmo,Endeavour or the likes?

Wil this take rechargebales and is there a future upgrade to LED on this model?
I think most would prefer a pocket clip to the holster also.

It does run on a rechargeable NiMH 15ah sub-c pack, I really wish some day I will have the necessary tools and materials to build "true" flashlights from the ground up. As for now I'll have to keep to the basics. I did build a 1000 watt GE landing light out of 8in. Stove pipe so I'll get creative if I neeed to:naughty:.

How many lumens is that, he wondered aloud?Thanks for sharing this build! Jeff O.

It's about 450 lumens ran at normal voltage. But being overdriven I'd say around 500-600 roughly. As for as 95,000 candle power that is being completely conservative, this light can out throw just about anything with it's shielded filament. It is easily in the territory of my under driven 1000 watt landing light.
Again thanks for the interest:wave::D.

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is funny...:laughing:

I like it.

hmmm hope you get you cam sorted out soon.. need some beamshots.:cool:

Can you get into the cams manual settings?

Id always use 100ISO, no flash,a tripod or something to keep camera stable & if possible on timer mode (avoid camera shake)

Id start with f/3.2 & 5sec shutter speed for.
Just play with those 2 factors & see what you like.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is funny...:laughing:

I like it.

hmmm hope you get you cam sorted out soon.. need some beamshots.:cool:

Can you get into the cams manual settings?

Id always use 100ISO, no flash,a tripod or something to keep camera stable & if possible on timer mode (avoid camera shake)

Id start with f/3.2 & 5sec shutter speed for.
Just play with those 2 factors & see what you like.

I can't adjust my shutter speed:mecry:.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, thats odd...

think it's time to hit that camera on its head with a hammer.:D

I wish I could but it's the only one I have at the moment….. You know what? I'm going to see if my sister's new camera can do this. I don't know if she will let me, I sort of dropped and broke her old one during indoor beam shots:ohgeez::whistle:.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't you up the f /aperture? say to 3.0 or 2.8? (lower number=more light allowed in camera)

I prefer short exposures, don't need to rely on tripods as much.