etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Surefire 9P.

P90 incan bulb goes out...

SF_9P.jpg

M60 Light-Emitting-Diode goes in:

M60_module.jpg

M60_lense.jpg

Any Surefire lite is a great lite and doubly so with a LED mod such as Malkoff. The key problem with the Surefire is, they are expensive to feed. Recharg. 123 cells have a pretty low capacity, so you have to think about Li-Ion cells such as AW protected cells or Pila stuff. If you use the lite a lot and only have primary 123s, you will spend many times the cost of lite annually. Even the cheapest discount volume stuff is not all that cheap. For years, I wanted a Surefire but high cost of cells stopped me. Once I learned about Li-Ions, the decision was made.

After replacing the stock P90 module with Malkoff, I had some doubts if I should get a 2x18500 body or 2x18650 body. They both had their pros and cons. To complicate the situation, both FiveMega and Leef made these bodies. I read the FAQs, saw the specs, but still had doubts.

I resolved the matter by following the CPF creed:

Left to right:
Leef 2x18650, FiveMega 2x18650, Leef 2x18500, FiveMega 2x18500, stock Surefire 9P 3x123 body.

surefire_bodies.jpg

First, both FiveMega and Leef bodies are excellent quality stuff. The thread is good, knurling is pretty aggressive on both and considerably more so than stock Surefire 9P body, which is good. The finish is A1. FiveMega is slightly more shiny than Leef.

With the M60 installed, Leef had a slightly lesser bezel-to-body gap than FiveMega. I think it was roughly 1/2mm vs. 2mm. While this doesn't cause any performance issues, I filed the M60 module some more and now it's a perfect fit in 2x18500 Leef (and rattles in the original 9P body, but I don't plan to use it anyway, so no big deal).

It appears that between Malkoff being an excellent module but aftermarket non-OEM part anyway in combination with Leef/FiveMega you get this slight gap of a few MMs between bezel and body. Either FiveMega or Leef work with any OEM Surefire device, as promised, but keep in mind we are talking about two aftermarket parts and making them work together to perfect specs?

I think Malkoff, FiveMega and Leef should sit down at a conference call and resolve the issue making sure their parts play well with each other, not just with Surefire stuff - this would make their already outstanding products even better.Not "sure" the result would still remain a "SureFire" but an excellent product as always.

I will say that both FiveMega and Leef are a perfect fit with the OEM Surefire stuff as advertised. I only tried the P90 module and of course it fits well.
Anyway, my hat is off to these hard-working gentlemen for their fine products, I feel privileged to use them.

I continue to be amazed by guys that hack some aftermarket stuff in their garage, coming out with a better, more innovative product than multi-millon dollar corporations. (Must be the bureaucracy that consumes it all)

Now a few words about configuration, in my non-educated opinion. First, the 2x18500 body seems a lot more practical than anything. The size is identical to 9P. I didn't expect it to be so. The OAL, diameter and all. Unless you know what you are looking for, it's hard to tell them all apart. Surefire has the logo etched on the side of the body, neither FiveMega nor Leef do. Leef is completely round, FiveMega has Surefire-like flat sides but no logo on them.
I think I like Leef slightly better than the rest but it's a close call and only because I use M60.

The nicest one to hold is either one of the 2x18650 lites. With the aggressive knurling, it just bites into your hand, is pretty long, no way you can drop either one. The 2x18500 is not bad either. It's longer than 6P obviously but for me, just the right length, which is the reason why I didn't want a 6P. The cool thing about 2x18500 aside from compactness, is that you can take out Li-Ions and put in 3x123 cells. Just need to wrap them in something or they will rattle badly, they are rather loose in the 18mm body as was expected.

2x18500 is EDC material, but 2x18650 is not... unless we are talking about an external belt holster.

Note the supersized wonder known as the Z49 tailcap sitting on Leef 2x18650. that seemed a lot more logical than putting that tailcap-on-steroids on the 2x18500 body or stock 9P. It seems bigger than the 9P bezel itself. I think the engineering department needs to scrap it and design a new one (Otherwise aftermarket modders will keep eating their lunch, Duh). But to their credit, it does work and seems robust enough.

Now the decision process begins what modules to put in the rest of them, I definitely want something LED-wise...
Scanning the FAQ but nothing really stands out as superior to Malkoff, or at least more lumens.. Maybe Malkoff should come out with M60H, as in "High"?
(Joke)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173764

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Nice write up and pics. I ordered the fivemega 18500, and it arrived while I am out of town, so can not see this beauty until tomorrow. Question, you seem to have no problems with the electrical contact on your Leef and FM bodies using the M60. Is the inside of the barrel anodized where you fit the M60 and your elctrical contact is at the unanodized lip in the barrel? I say this because most, or all SF's. are not anodized inside the body tube, so contact of the M60 for negative can be any part of the barrel that makes contact with the M60 brass.. I am able to make contact on my TranquillityBase 18650 bodies with my M30 by adding a part of a spring to the unanodized lip inside the barrel, as my Malkoff does not drop far enough down to make contact. Possibly your filing down of your M60 allows that contact.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had any issues with the electrical contact with M60 in any body: Stock, FiveMega or Leef.

Here is the original Surefire 9P with M60 installed:
M60_gap_before.jpg

A gap of almost 1mm but no issues with electrical contacts. I filed the module and got a perfect fit.

The same M60 module in 2x18500 FiveMega, a gap of several MMs. Still no issues with electrical contact or anything else.

fivemega_gap.jpg

M60 in Leef 2x18500, after filing the M60 module some more. No gap.

surefire_EDC.jpg

To reiterate, they all work, Leef or FM, gap or not. I don't believe water-proofness is being affected either.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had contact issues with the tail threads on the three different 2 X 18500 Leef bodies I tried with Surefire twisties (Z41's, ect) and Leef clickies. I never had a problem when I used a Z48 though.

I received both of my Fivemega bodies today. I like the knurling very much. I just put my C3 head with P90 and twisty tailcap on one of the bodies and the electrical contact issues that were present with the Leef bodies are no longer there with these bodies. They work perfectly.

The tail threads on these bodies appear to be the same length (though not as many winds) as my SF C3 body. I think that was the hole issue to begin with. The Leef body thread end was not as long on the original bodies. I don't know if this is still the case.

As of right now I'm very happy with these bodies!

Now if we can get AW to release those IMR cells in 18500! :D

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received both of my Leef bodies today. I like the knurling very much. I just put my C3 head with P90 and twisty tailcap on one of the bodies and the electrical contact issues that were present with the Leef bodies are no longer there with these bodies. They work perfectly.

Explain, this is not making sense.

Why exactly did you have issues with contact? Because of the tail thread? I don't understand. I don't have fresh cells to test with, but the mostly depleted 123s that I put in Leef 2x18500 do in fact light up to about 1-2 lumens with Z41... just like with the original 9P body.

Last edited:

cl0123

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I just treated myself to a couple of the 18650 battery tubes too. For what is worth, mine are not as snug as the Surefire originals, especially on the C-head mating threads. When I unscrew the Z44 bezel from the C2 or the 6P, there usually is a vacuum that I have to pull slightly to overcome it. The C-head Leef tubes are probably just a hair loose. Other than that, I do take pleasure in knowing my lights can now take full advantage of the 18650's extra capacity.

With Aloha,

Clarence

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
solar2008102608.jpg

Clarence,

Thanks for the pic. Awesome device for sure.

I have the same thing about the vacuum, the original Surefire body seems tighter somehow but if you screw Leef/FiveMega bodies tight enough, they are just fine. Great stuff. The knurling is just right, not overly aggressive but more so than the stock body.

The threads seem to be fine. Only difference I see is that original thread is bare metal (It seems) while Leef/FM has a black finish on it, HA-III I presume.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Explain, this is not making sense.

Why exactly did you have issues with contact? Because of the tail thread? I don't understand. I don't have fresh cells to test with, but the mostly depleted 123s that I put in Leef 2x18500 do in fact light up to about 1-2 lumens with Z41... just like with the original 9P body.

Sorry, that would be confusing wouldn't it! I edited it, was too late at night I guess, sometimes my posts do not make much sense when I am overly tired.

What I meant to say was that I just received my Fivemega bodies and that they have no electrical contact issues like the three Leef bodies I had before did. With the Z41 twisty on the Leef bodies I could not get it to light up by twisting it on, only would work if I pushed the button. Leef clicky did not work at all. Z48 had no problems.

Do you have one of the new run of Leef bodies? I'm hoping he corrected the issue with the new ones. Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate what I'm referring to as far as the tail threads. You can see from the pictures that the Leef is too short, while the Fivemega is flush with the Surefire. I think this is what caused the contact issues.

First picture is 2 X 18500 Leef body from the first run about a year ago next to a C3. Second picture is one of the 2 X 18500 Fivemega bodies I just received next to the same C3:

Leef 2 X 18500 body and C3
C32.jpg

Fivemega 2 X 18500 body and C3
fivemegaandc3.jpg

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to hear that, that's all I needed to know before ordering. I really liked the quality of the Leef bodies, aside from that pesky issue.

Thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got a Leef 2x18650 C-M body in Black HAIII back in May, from Lighthound.

No contact issues at all. I love mine! (Used it to make a Leef-bodied M4).

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the pics. That does explain everything.

No contact issues with Z41 on 2x18500 Leef or 2x18650... all works fine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks to this thread and another one, I placed an order for a Leef 2x18500 C-C body.

A few months down the road when Leef bodies are scarce again, I'll be happy I spent the money. :grin2:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to this thread and another one, I placed an order for a Leef 2x18500 C-C body.

A few months down the road when Leef bodies are scarce again, I'll be happy I spent the money. :grin2:

Mine arrived yesterday:D

I think you will be a very happy camper:twothumbs

Works great with the HO bulbs from LumensFactory in a M2 head:grin2:

Sverre

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will wait for a brighter or newer drop-in module to mod 2x18650 bodies. I haven't really considered incan because I like good runtime of LEDs.

Perhaps I should go for runtime over pure lumens...

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to note with Fivemega's bodies is that the Surefire body doesn't have the threads anodized, so if you have a tailcap that gets its contact through the threads.. It won't work unless you remove the anodizing.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the note Re: tailcap anodizing.

I noticed it but didn't realize the significance.

It looks like neither Z41 nor Z49 are affected, but perhaps some aftermarket tailcaps are?

That's where the complexity comes in - both Leef/FiveMega works well with OEM Surefire stuff but they are aftermarket units, which means if you get more aftermarket Surefire stuff, they may not work well together.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some Solarforce parts to put mine together, and the clickie tailcaps work on surefire bodies, but not the Fivemega bodies.

One of these days I'll get around to cleaning off the anodizing. :candle:

Or I'll just get Surefire tailcaps. I was leary about that cause I didn't want to buy a $30 tailcap only to find it has the same problem.