Superthrower on NiMH??

KowShak

Enlightened
If you're after a light that throws a long way there are obvious choices for example the RaidFire Spear, Dereelight DBS and numerous clones but none of these will use commonly available AA batteries (or even C or D cells for that matter) that you can buy just about everywhere.

Is there a light that is in the same sort of ball park for throw as the DBS and runs on AA batteries? Does anybody make a bright 2xAA light with reflector of similar size to the DBS?

I don't want to get into the argument over which battery type is better, I think that one has been done a time or two!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEFT. Deep extended field thrower by saabluster, more details here. Runs on 3xAA's, highest throw of any production LED light (by a significant margin)

You do pay out the nose for it, though ;)

Alternatively there's the fenix TK20.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should definitely try the Fenix TK20. On one night walk outdoors, I found it throws (on NiMH) as well as a 225 lumen R18650 light that I have, which is also tuned for throw.

KowShak

Enlightened
How well does a Fenix TK20 compare with the DBS? I hear the LED Lenser P14 throws well too, but again I haven't seen it compared with the DBS or its ilk.

How about the sort of budget lights that are cheap enough to be bought to be modded?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fenix tK20 does not come close to the DBS even with a OP reflector installed in the DBS :naughty:

That said if you are after a AA thrower put the TK20 on your list.:twothumbs

[edit] You just cant compare these smaller lights to the DBS which puts 1.2 amps to the led and has a much larger reflector ;)

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
DEFT. Deep extended field thrower by saabluster, more details here. Runs on 3xAA's, highest throw of any production LED light (by a significant margin)

You do pay out the nose for it, though ;)

Alternatively there's the fenix TK20.

The DEFT is running with 4 x AAA, not 3 x AAA, and the best in the world in throw so far.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just for " nostalgia " . . . . :)

Took my Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon

outside last night.

Still quite a fine performer, considering its humble emitter.

Sometimes, i simply like to re-visit the " Good Ol' Days ".

:cool:
_

Illum

Flashaholic
gotta love that old light...mines still running eneloops to this day:D

its one light I won't think twice about going diving with, whether its the lake, the pool, or just the bathtub:crackup:

rhino465

Newly Enlightened
You should definitely try the Fenix TK20. On one night walk outdoors, I found it throws (on NiMH) as well as a 225 lumen R18650 light that I have, which is also tuned for throw.

I'm still on my first set of Energizer AA Lithium batteries in my new TK20, but I intend to go with AA NiMH rechargeables next since it's going to be my "utility" light.

Do you see any difference in the amount of light produced with the NiMH vs. the lithium?

KowShak

Enlightened
CR123A are about 33-35mm long. AAs are around 50mm long. So 3xCR123A are about the same length as 2xAA. CR123As are about 17mm diameter, AAs only 13mm.

That means a mod can be done to a 3xCR123A light to turn it into a 2xAA light. Two things need to be dealt with, one is that the voltages are different, so the regulator board will have to be replaced. Second, a 2mm sleeve would have to be inserted into the light.

Now, all I need to do is find a DBS rival that takes 3xCR123A!