Own NiteCore D10GDP: will the Clicky or NovaTac 120P be redundant?

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Hi All:

As a newbie, I have started with the following:

NiteCore D10GDP
Zebralight H50Q5
Wolf Eyes 6A P7
Photon Freedom Micro Covert Version
Fenix E01

As such, I'm wondering, from those who are far more experienced than I am, whether the NovaTac 120P or the upcoming RA Clicky would be redundant since I already have the NiteCore D10GDP?

It would seem like my current D10GDP essentially has most of all the practical features of either the NovaTac 120P and/or the RA Clicky.

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Redundant?! :eek:
Blasphemah!

Are you sure you're in the right forum? :grin2:

+1 :devil:

I used to carry a Fenix P3D-RB100 (on belt) and a Lumapower M1-T (in Carpenter pants leg pocket). I bought a Novatac 120P (currently carried in pocket using clip) and a Nitecore D10 (on belt) a few weeks ago, and have been carrying them both on me to use and get used to.

I bought the Nitecore D10 for the following reasons:

• the constant brightness adjustment
  • ability to jump straight to min or max
  • runtime: ability to run on an alkaline AA for 100 hours on low (2 lumens)
  • ability to run on alkaline, NiMH, lithium and lithium ion (and still access all modes)
  • like the UI, don't like the memory function though
I bought the Novatac 120P for the following reasons:

• the 22 light levels, plus strobes and SOS only if I want to use them
  • ability to get to levels quickly
  • runtime: no one has proved it that I can find, but manuf. says 240 hours on low (0.3 lumens) on a CR123
  • ability to run on CR123, RCR123, 17670 and even 18650 cells
  • love the flexibility of the UI!!!
So between those two lights I have great runtime, any EDC light level I need on any of eight different types of batteries! Bigger lights are in bags not far away.

Then there is the indisputable CPF logic of one is none and two is one, which is why I bought a second NT 120P! :D

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Thx all for your prompt replies and advice.

That said, what about the pros and cons of the Novatac 120P versus the RA Clicky?

One possible advantage is that the 120P has been sold for a longer time, has more of a "track record", and the company, hopefully, knows more about its quirks. As a result, it is more of a certainty as to what we expect to receive, i.e. service record, mostly good units, some bad units? etc. More of a "known quantity".

On the other hand, one can argue, at least those who are more experienced than I am (newbie here), can say that there may be certain improvements and better part swaps with the RA Clicky. Is that true at all?

Lastly, one can also think about whether the specific parts changes of the Clicky (specifically), make any or much difference at all in use. Sometimes, changes for the sake of changes might not result in any noticeable differences in actual use (i.e. the difference between, say for example, a 120 lumens light vs a 130 lumens light). With that in mind, it can be argued that parts "upgrades" or "changes" sometimes can result in greater uncertainty, and not necessarily be an advantage. i.e. newer parts may not necessarily be "better" just because they are "newer parts" and "newer models of certain specific parts".

What do y'all think, may i ask?

thx in advance!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx all for your prompt replies and advice.

That said, what about the pros and cons of the Novatac 120P versus the RA Clicky?

They are designed by the same guy, so if anything the ra is the improved version. Then again I don't have ra so I can't really compare.

Zenster

Enlightened
They are designed by the same guy, so if anything the ra is the improved version. Then again I don't have ra so I can't really compare.

Nobody has an RA Clicky. :poke:

As far as the 120P and D10 comparison, they are definitely not redundant.
I've got them both, and I find that I use them for different occasions.

I also have an RA Clicky 140-CGT on order, but that's just 'cuz I wanted one. ;)
It is likely, however, that the RA Clicky and the 120P are going to be "similar" in more ways than not.

However, the Novatac is a proven design, and if you're on a budget, you might consider the 120P over the RA just because you can probably find one for almost half of what the Clicky is going to cost.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I've got the D10 (cree) and 120p and actually find the 120P to be with me far more often than the D10 because of its better battery life at low-medium settings and because the UI is just easier to get along with.

IMO the D10 is a great light but the UI is more ingenious than practical, at least for me. It's sort of slipped into bedroom/closet duty but is just too good looking in a cool-minimalist way to sell!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Hi All:

As a newbie, I have started with the following:

NiteCore D10GDP
Zebralight H50Q5
Wolf Eyes 6A P7
Photon Freedom Micro Covert Version
Fenix E01

As such, I'm wondering, from those who are far more experienced than I am, whether the NovaTac 120P or the upcoming RA Clicky would be redundant since I already have the NiteCore D10GDP?

It would seem like my current D10GDP essentially has most of all the practical features of either the NovaTac 120P and/or the RA Clicky.

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

i own everything you own except the wolf eyes, and to me the 120p isnt redundant i alternate between that and the ex10 for edc but they are different lights with their own cool aspects

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is no doubt that the 120P is a great light so is the RA twisty.
But they are different animals.
Get the RA light if you feel like you need a light that you could take to hell and make it back. the Ra will do that.
The Novatac is a very robust light with a great many more features.

Owning both is a good idea. I own both and many others and I end up EDGing a Lunasol 20. NO it isn't brighter but it has a unique beam and ultra reliable function.

Between The nitecore D10, the lunasol, the nitecore, the Liteflux, and so many others they all have a space in the toolbox. If they are considered tools.
If they are toys. well anything goes and all lights have a place.

Like I said I own all of the lights mentioned above but For my personal needs the Lunasol 20 is the light which works best for me.
Follow your gut.

Remember all flashlights have a certain value which can be extracted if a light doesn't meet your needs, A trip to the marketplace will yield some great deals. IF you just have to have a new light then BUY in and buy new. Otherwise Look for some USED deals on the lights you think you like.
I love buying a used light and realizing that I waited too long because it should have been part of my set of lights much sooner.

MOst important thing is HAVE FUN!!
Yaesumofo

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said I own all of the lights mentioned above but For my personal needs the Lunasol 20 is the light which works best for me.
Follow your gut.

...and that's why I just bought a LS20...I've noticed you have lots of positive things to say about this light.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread...)

All of the other lights are supposed to be good as well. Just find out which light (or lights) work for you.