PT Apex old versus new

cuester

Newly Enlightened
Hello , I'm looking at purchasing the pt apec ( 4xAA config) soon and was looking at pruchasing it through mountain equipment canada as I am in Canada. On the website they list it as a 60 lumen output. Is the difference between the 60lumen and 80 output signigifcant eneugh to warrant waiting or buying from a different supplier?

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
I faced the same dilemma and decided to buy the 60 and do the LED swap out detailed here

The headlight and replacement led/ tube of goo (from photonfanatic) are on there way to me now

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'd say go ahead and buy it, their website may not be up to date with small changes in the product like that.

And you'll end up upgrading it with a Seoul P4 LED anyways (resistance is futile! :) )

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the 60lm version available at a significant discount.

If they used a more modern emitter like the SSC P4 you could get almost 120 lumens OTF.

I would either buy a discounted 60lm model and mod it myself or wait till they upgraded it to twice the brightness. They have upgraded many of their other lights to double the brightness recently.

cuester

Newly Enlightened
I am the proud new owner of a pt apex 60 lm. Just waiting now for it to arrive :popcorn:

Sarratt

Enlightened
I am the proud new owner of a pt apex 60 lm. Just waiting now for it to arrive :popcorn:

I think you will be very happy with the Apex.:thumbsup:

One word of caution though. Be careful if/and/or/when you tighten up the hinge ,,, don't over tighten. The plastic is somewhat brittle. That goes for the screws that hold the head together as well.
Eneloops work wonderfully in the Apex as well.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new version advertised as 80 lumens is supposed to be a Seoul emitter in.

I will order some and let you guys know.
Either Princeton Tec has started to rate theire lights at a more accurate reading or they have increased the Runtime.

Im hoping for the more accurate reading :D

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
130lm model Apex is now in production. You will probably have to buy brick and mortar to make sure you get it though.

major

Newly Enlightened
anyone know were i can get the 130 lumen model and also shipped to uk

nemulhuman

Newly Enlightened
I posted this earlier on another thread but it seems more relevant here so I'm re-posting my experience here too, hope some of you have better luck.

Yea, seems like no-one and no-ones brother wants to cop to having the elusive 'APEXR' as it was differentiated to me by a PT sales rep. My guess is they don't want to be caught holding on to the 60/80s and whatever.. pfffft!
I contacted @ 8 or so of the 'big' sellers, none said they had it in stock. I gave up. Noticed the 'buy it now' shopatron option on PT's updated new and improved 130 lumen Tec APEX product page. Took me straight to my cart, thought the 84.00 price tag a tad much but thought :thumbsup:! and bought 3, then went to check out and saw that I was about to buy 3- 80 lumen models... :toilet: . apparently not even PT wants to come off the mountain of free-range headlamps they've stockpiled.? I gotta be missing something.?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone know were i can get the 130 lumen model and also shipped to uk
No one has seen one in the flesh yet. You will probably have to wait a month or two.

I would simply not trust any mail order company (except Brightguy) to send the right model. I don't think PT even changes the stock number on the barcode.

Last edited: