Need a patrol torch - help?

superdon

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am just about to begin a career in the UK police force (fool some of you may say!). I need to get myself a decent flashlight to use out and about.

I am new to the flashlight world, so be nice :) But, I do like my gadgets, so dont want to just get "any old flashlight".

I have done quite a bit of reading, and think the Fenix TK11 might be a good option for me? Any recommendations?

I guess I need it to be cheap enough to run on an almost daily basis, be small-ish and easy to carry around - ideally with a pouch or something that I can attach to my belt.

I have looked around and think I might be able to get the TK11, with a couple of batteries and a charger for around about $150 - so I guess thats about my budget.

Any other lights I should consider?

Thanks for the help!

Mdinana

Enlightened
I don't have the TK-11, but it should be OK for your needs. Of course, most of the Surefire line would be too. Depending where you are in the UK, gloves at work may be a consideration, so you might want to think about options in turning on/off- ie size of tailcap, clickie/twistie, etc. Adding a Malkoff to a 6P or G2 might be an option (metal vs. synthetic, something to consider when wet and cold).

I guess, however, that you won't have to worry about holding the light in a Harries or FBI grip (that's a gun joke):laughing:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK11 is ideal for your needs. Surefire is over price. You can get rechargeable batteries for TK11.

dougie

Enlightened
There are many questions you can ask on CPF but which torch/flashlight is probably not the best one as now you'll be inundated with suggestions!....LOL!

Although not an LEO (I'm a UK paramedic) some of the concerns about firearms that our American cousins have to deal with are substantially different over here. Also it is very unlikely you'll have much to do with firearms in your first two years as a probationer. However, the need to have access to a light depends on what you are doing and for how long. For normal stop & search too powerful a light is neither necessary or desirable. For a prolonged search in a rural or semi-rural area many of the smaller LED lights cant compete with a powerful hand lamp. However, it is likely that your force 'may' provide hand lamps for that purpose anyway. IMHO a reasonably powerful LED light is ideal as it stretches out burn time on a set of primary or rechargeable cells. With the cost of lithium batteries this is not an issue to be taken too lightly. Some of the most important things to think about are reliability, carry ability, access and size. In addition to the above is does the light come with a warranty?

From a personal perspective I would never be without a primary light on my belt and a good but smaller backup for those moments when the light fails or batteries die. Trust me it happens! After years of trying different things I concluded that I needed something that would light up an address at the end of large UK garden or several car lengths away. Throw for my purposes is not as important as spill, unless you are going to be working in the boonies? Battery burn time and reliability mean more to me than anything else and reliability isn't easily come by. Lastly, accessibility and how you carry a light are equally as important issue to consider. If you can't access your light quickly when required you may as well not carry it. If it is not secure when carried it'll get dropped or lost.

My solution was to buy a Surefire G2z and equip it with a Malkoff M60L drop in carried in a Surefire V70 holster. For backup I've got a Surefire E1B Backup. I chose Surefire because they make some of the best and most reliable lights out there and their warranty is second to none. In addition the G2/G3 series of lights are reasonably cheap and pretty near indestructable. Being Nitrolon they don't show cosmetic damage easily once dropped and are comfy to hold in ungloved hands at any time of year. Nitrolon means that G2's/G2z's can be bought for £30-£40 pounds and in a pinch can be held between your teeth without problems. *Don't try that with a aluminum Surefire as the knurling with chip your teeth!*

The Malkoff dropin will provide at least 140 lumens which is ample to illuminate something at approximately 150ft away. In addition it will last for 4-4.5 hours on one set of primary cells or 1-1.5 hours on rechargeables. The V70 holster is without one of the best ways I've ever carried a torch/flashlight. It allows easy and instant access and no fumbling to reholster. It is also in the case of the G2z very, very, secure. In fact I've never had to worry about loosing my light during any activities I've done over the past few years and that includes running,climbing and being perched in some very unusual postions!!:D

The choice of backup was made because the E1b provides nearly as good a light as the G2z/Malkoff combo except it is a lot smaller and only uses one cell. Whilst this light isn't to be thought of as a primary light you will be able to keep it on your person on or off duty for those times when you really need a light with nearly all the attributes of your main carry.

Of course others will tell you different things and you will have to make your own mind up. Surefire is my personal favourite but there are loads of other brands which have equally as good a reputation if perhaps not so easily found in the UK.

Anyway let us know what you go with and good luck with your new career!

Doug

h2oflyer

Enlightened
TK10 -- Use it on low(60lumen) -- Tighten head for 180 lumen
Buy your 123 primary in bulk 20/30 at a time. Comes with decent
belt holster. I've dropped mine onto concrete half a dozen times
with no damage(highest fall was 10-12 ft). Has a lockout tailcap.

A true battle class light. :thumbsup:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I would think that two good flashlights would serve better than one flashlight trying to fill two roles (plus you would always have a good backup). Going further with that reasoning, perhaps you might want one type of battery for both. I think I'd choose long runtimes on lithium primary cells - they will have a graceful decline rather than rechargeable Lithiums which might leave you in the dark suddenly when their low-voltage protection circuits kick in.

Larger/brighter unit: Surefire 6P/G2/C2 w/Malkoff M60L or LL. This just can't be beat. The modularity of this flashlight design gives you a lot of future options.

Smaller unit: Perhaps a Surefire E1B, E1L, or L1. Reasonably long runtimes on low. They appear similar in the catalog but their user interfaces (i.e. operation) distinguish them from one another.

Anyway, I'm not in law enforcement, but most folks will say that SureFires will not let you down.

Starting on a tight budget:
SureFire 6PL (full-sized), $80? You could always get a wonderful Malkoff drop-in later.
A smaller Surefire for backup, ~$100-$110?
My 1.5 cents.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Pelican 7060? Specifically designed for LEO carry, rechargeable, easy to carry, lots of needed throw while giving ample spill, and Pelican's rock solid lifetime warranty.

"Everything else is just a light." :grin2:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a TK11, and I think it'd be a good choice for anyone who needs a decent light that won't let you down. The switch is one of the best switches I've used and dead easy to activate even with gloves on. It has very good throw, and low mode isn't too bright. It fits my hand very well with and without gloves.

My only complaints are that it has a bit of a donut in the beam at close range (1 or 2 feet) so not so good for paperwork in that regard (though this doesn't affect my usage patterns), and the regulation is poor.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, I'm pretty comfortable recommending the TK10-TK11 based on my experience with the E01, published specs, and user reviews.

Still, some kind of backup is wise, but I can easily see the TK series filling the role of blaster and workhorse.

Lookin4U

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw in my $.02. Fifteen years of U.S. LEO with a very large metro department, Uniform Patrol, SRT, Narcotics, full-time Bicycle Patrol, and currently full-time CSI and auxiliary Bicycle Patrol. I have several lights, but my current primary and favorite in an EagleTac T10C2 (uses 123 primaries, which the Department provides). Has the best combination of throw and flood I've ever seen. The T10L is the 18650 version of the same light. Love my Surefires, Olights, Fenixes, NiteCores, Inovas, etc., but the EagleTac is my favorite.

faucon

Enlightened
I'll throw in my $.02. Fifteen years of U.S. LEO with a very large metro department, Uniform Patrol, SRT, Narcotics, full-time Bicycle Patrol, and currently full-time CSI and auxiliary Bicycle Patrol. I have several lights, but my current primary and favorite in an EagleTac T10C2 (uses 123 primaries, which the Department provides). Has the best combination of throw and flood I've ever seen. The T10L is the 18650 version of the same light. Love my Surefires, Olights, Fenixes, NiteCores, Inovas, etc., but the EagleTac is my favorite.
I'm glad that the EagleTac T10C2 has the endorsement of an experienced LEO (which I'm not). My T10C2 is rapidly becoming my favorite light, despite many other fine ones I own (Surefires, JetBeam, Pelican, Fenix, etc.). The T10C2 is light, small (not terribly larger than a Surefire L4), and can run on RCR123s. Its run time is very good, it has two levels, it's extremely bright, and I find that its beam pattern is almost flawless. I agree with Lookin4U that the T10C2 has a fantastic all-round beam. My requirements aren't the same as an LEOs (nighttime field biology) but I do need a light that both allows me to see at a distance, and can also light up a broad area nearby. The T10C2 does both extremely well. For me the T10C2 is perfect, and I can imagine that it could be very useful in law enforcement due to its versatility.

superdon

Newly Enlightened
After reading a bit more I am thinking the TK-11 might be a good start for me.

So, wheres the best place to get them from, with me being in the UK?

I also could do with knowing the best batteries and charger to go with it. Preferably, I would buy the light, battery and charger from one place.

superdon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Doug.

I guess you would recommend going with a UK supplier rather than getting one from the US (or anywhere else for that matter)?

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
The Pelican 7060 is used by the New York police department, and it is rechargeable, which can save you a lot of money. Of course, I don't own a Fenix TK11 yet, so I can't compare the two, but the 7060 Pelican light is going to be more reliable than the fenix, especially with regular use.

mrm65

Newly Enlightened

dougie

Enlightened
Interestingly both the two shops quoted above are registered to the same address. I'd take a guess the owner is one and the same for both sites? As I've not used either of them (yet) I can't say good or bad about them. However, Photon does have a good reputation. As to buying from the US? Well there are some fantastic companies run by some great people over there who will send stuff to the UK and anything made over there is going to be well built. However, the recent problems with the exchange rate mean that it is getting more expensive to import things at the moment. In addition the postage and potential for Customs to add extra charges doesn't mean I'd recommend it any more. :mecry:

Doug