Duty Lights

secureone

Newly Enlightened
ok instead of going through a very expensive trial and error process ill just ask you guys. What is the best duty light.

Solis107

Newly Enlightened
pelican 7060 hands down. *coughs* i dooooo have one up for auction on ebay. Its perfect size and right amount of light for clearing yards and vehicle searches.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start here.

I've heard good things about the Peak First Responder. I have nothing but praise for a SF P/C/Z body with a Malkoff M60 dropin. Wolf Eyes has some good offerings too though I'd recommend against a multimode WE pill for LEO use.

signal 13

Enlightened
I use a Surefire M3 as my main duty light. It has been my experience that incandescents cut through the dark (especially at distance) and tinted glass much better. And the M3 has plenty of throw/spill to get the job done right! And don't forget that it just looks awesome!

I use a Surefire 6P with an LED for a backup light (soon to be replaced by a 1x18650 Leef Body w/ Malkoff M30).

I use both lights in SF speed holsters on my duty belt.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many good lights for duty. Look at your options and choose. This forum will give you some good advice. I would recommend at least two lights. One small that stays on your Sam Browne belt and a main larger light. You will most likely gravitate to a rechargeable light as your main light especially if you work nights.

Rechargeable Streamlights and the MagCharger seem to be the most popular LEO main rechargeable duty lights. There are others such as Tigerlight, Surefire and Pelican.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a difference between duty and tactical lights. Surefire and all the other small high power lights are not duty lights.

-dan

894tom

Newly Enlightened
Of course I would prefer an HID...but I'm a cop not a millionare....that being said.....so as far as good site distance (throw) at night, durability, replacement parts, ability to track blood drops(LED suck at this function)....I can't seem to put my StingerHP down. 10 years and still going strong...knock on wood. I melted one lens, killed two batteries, and wore off one rubber switch cover since I got her. I really wonder if some of these fly by night high power flashlight companies are gonna be around in 10 years to give me a new o-ring or replace my switch for free. Food for thought. I have a NiteCore D10 that will be its little brother on duty from here on out as my backup light. The LED light is much better for clearing rooms and small out buildings IMHO because if is smooth spill light with no artifacts. Plop it my my pocket and forget about it EDC light.
Good luck with your search.

flip

Enlightened
Dano, would you mind helping me and perhaps others out with definitions of a "duty light" and a "tactical light" and how the 2 differ?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Duty light is usually large and cumbersome, rechargable, and can be used as an impact weapon

Tactical lights are usually small, lightweight with a momentary or similer tailcap, these are used in combination with a weapon

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I know i have plenty of tactcal lights im looking for a full size duty light.
Do you mean one that can double as an improvised defensive impact weapon / pain-compliance applicator? How about a MagCharger with TLE-300MR?

Or, do you mean a long-bodied light that can be tucked under an arm but not metal? There is the Pelican 8060.

Do you use lanyards for your tactical lights? That way, you would have light, but can easily free your hand for your defensive impact weapon or cuffs.

Are your tactical lights rated for less than 100 lumens? Maybe you should up-grade the bulb / lamp assembly with a bright one, or get a bright LED module.