Nitecore d10 using duracell CRV3 3 volt primaries

clipboard

Newly Enlightened
If you were to use a 3 volt aa lithium battery would it not be as bright as the EX10 using a cr123 as well as the runtimes being similar????? Clipboard.

Bradlee

Enlightened
I can't answer your question, I'm just curious what your motivation is for using 3V primaries? That sounds like a really expensive way to go when you could use 3.7V secondaries to bump up the output...

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides being expensive, it's my understanding that 3v AA lithium batteries (half of a CRV3) do not have much capacity and/or worse yet, are not designed for high current draw. I don't think they're a good idea here. If this is incorrect, will someone please correct me.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides being expensive, it's my understanding that 3v AA lithium batteries (half of a CRV3) do not have much capacity and/or worse yet, are not designed for high current draw. I don't think they're a good idea here. If this is incorrect, will someone please correct me.

They perform like the 1.7V Lithium cells by Energizer. However they have more power. Capacity isn't everything, when you're comparing different voltage cells you have to take total power.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
They perform like the 1.7V Lithium cells by Energizer. However they have more power. Capacity isn't everything, when you're comparing different voltage cells you have to take total power.
There is more than 1 type of 3v AA Litium battery though. Should you unknowingly get a hold of these, Lithium Manganese Dioxide chemistry AA's made for Memory Back-up (MBU), who knows how this battery might react under high current draw. These, are designed for low current draw only. I'm not sure what chemistry is in all the CRV3s. :shrug:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have tried taht with a Rexlight. My main purpose was to get the etra umph! of the 14500 without going rechargable.

BUT results were not as expected. Rexlight driver and many other too do not perform lineary. They loose the oomph below the Li-Ion standard voltage. You can imagine them as a kind either or driver.

Also I believe you have know that soem CRV3 batts have 2 AA cells in line, instead of two 3V in parallel

Hope it turns Ok for you, Kostas

clipboard

Newly Enlightened
if I were to use the 14500's.What would be the best specific one to buy plus the best charger to use as welll....thanks Clipboard

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
if I were to use the 14500's.What would be the best specific one to buy plus the best charger to use as welll....thanks Clipboard

AW's 14500:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=206
or
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=184670

and

Pila IBC™ 4-stage Charger
http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php?p=pila_bc01-ac01&product=171829

or as a less expensive way to go:

Ultrafire WF-139 Charger
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=207

Last edited:

clipboard

Newly Enlightened
Also I thought about buying Ultrafire 14500 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery - 3.6 volt 900 mah and a wf-139 charger would these suffice? Clipboard

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I specified is the best battery and charger for the job according to the experts here.

UF batteries have been tested here along side AW batteries, and the graphs show they are inferior... along with reports of delievered dead batteries (mostly protected) or ones that won't fit the light (too short if unprotected, or too long if protected).

They might suffice, but I wouldn't recommend them based on what I know.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I have been using the 3v primaries in my D10 since I got it with no problems. Great output and good run times.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
get the ultrafire 138 that is the one for 14500s the 139 is designed for 18650s and may diminish the cells functional life

go with AW cells, thats what I use in my D10 and they function flawlessly

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I thought about buying Ultrafire 14500 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery - 3.6 volt 900 mah and a wf-139 charger would these suffice? Clipboard

Many here will also recommend AW batteries because we feel there is less of a chance of them going :poof:.

Lithium ion batteries are not toys and can turn your flashlight into a pipe bomb. Be sure to read up on proper lithium battery handling safety. I believe AW links to an article about battery safety and anyone getting into lithium ion cells should read it.

clipboard

Newly Enlightened
I cancelled my order for the ultrafire 14500's and replaced the with the AW's.
I also ordered a WF-139 charger.Do you think they will be brighter than my
2650 mah Duracells? thanks Clipboard.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
WF-139

wf139.jpg

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
WF-138

images-1.jpg

As you can see the 138 was specifically designed for AA(14500) and AAA(10440) rechargeable Lithium cells. The 139 on the other hand was designed for 18650s, 17650s, 18500s, 17500s, ect. the two horizontal charging bays dont even work (rcr123 sized). The only way to make 14500s fit and charge in the 139 is to use magnets or other improvised methods of making the terminals touch......at least thats been MY experiacne with them I may be though

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what those side terminals of the wf-139 do. I tested them for voltage, they appear to be NC.

FYI, I bought two AW 14500 cells a couple weeks ago. One will not hold a charge, drops to 0V overnight, in the light or on the shelf. I guess there is no guarantee no matter what you buy! :shrug:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I don't know what those side terminals of the wf-139 do. I tested them for voltage, they appear to be NC.

I believe they were designed for charging rcr123s but they arent connected form the factory, some people have opened the charger up and hooked them up but I wouldnt do it.......there has to be some reason that they werent connected and I would rather not find out what they are...