Duracell "Hybrid" "1000 lumen" LED flashlight

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have experience with Duracell "Hybrid" "1000 lumen" LED flashlights? They are sold in Canada by Costco in 3-packs. I have not set hands on one, someone in the family got a set. Cost works out to less than $14 each which is OK.

First, I don't believe the 1000 lumens, based partly on running on 4xAAA NiMH or alkaline. However, USB rechargeable pack apparently uses Li-ion 18650; capacity unknown but could be estimated from run-time. 3xAAA lights somewhat similar i.e. low-cost zoomies are typically around 350 lumens, and consume 4-5W.

Just curious.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, nobody has one, or no opinion on these? I may be able to borrow one to check out, don't want to buy a 3-pack.

Dave

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you can borrow one, do it. Let us know how it performs.
Truth is, battery companies always contract out the work when they want to produce flashlights with their company name on them. Some do better than others. Energizer in general have decent flashlight models. Ray-o-vac is known for their cheap plastic-bodied flashlights. Duracell is known for lights that just don't hold up well. Once in awhile, they'll release a new model. It'll be on store shelves for a few months, maybe a year or so. Then vanished! Never to be seen again. That's their reputation. So, CPFers who have had Duracell flashlights in the past, tend to ignore them when new models get released.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can borrow one, do it. Let us know how it performs.
Truth is, battery companies always contract out the work when they want to produce flashlights with their company name on them. Some do better than others. Energizer in general have decent flashlight models. Ray-o-vac is known for their cheap plastic-bodied flashlights. Duracell is known for lights that just don't hold up well. Once in awhile, they'll release a new model. It'll be on store shelves for a few months, maybe a year or so. Then vanished! Never to be seen again. That's their reputation. So, CPFers who have had Duracell flashlights in the past, tend to ignore them when new models get released.
Yeah that sounds about right.

I got to play with one for a short time. Not too bad but not overly impressed by the look and feel. Probably worth $12 each with Li-ion pack (capacity not specified) but don't really want to buy a 3-pack to find out. Costco is good at overselling products like this.

The end cap has a spring/strip to connect ends of the AAA cells when used with that holder. The Li-ion pack has contacts only at the front end. It is sealed. Guess would be 1800-2200mAh which is sweet spot for low cost USB packs.

The beam is unremarkable, some yellow at the edges. Based on 2-hr. Li-ion runtime, I am ballparking roughly 2-3W getting to the LED. Not sure how they come up with 1000 lumens.

That's about all I can say with any (un)certainty at the moment.

Dave

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their 3C cells variant would be in the ball park (P7 emitters could be driven well over 900Lm on 3 NiMH back in 2010), if they are using XML T6's they are capable of 1000Lm but as you say NOT on 3 or 4 AAA cells.