5D chinese flashlight, can it be modified?

exodus125

Enlightened
Here are some pictures of a flashlight my dad bought me from a trip to China. It has no brand name and looks to be a copy of a maglight. the bulb in it is pretty mediocre, but the casing is very similar to a mag and the grip on it is a little better I think. I was just wondering if there are any ideas on how this housing could be modified. The thread on the head and cap are the same as a magD, although I tried to fit the reflector from my mag in it and it was too big. The reflector is prety mediocre as well. Here are some pictures.

The housing I think has some potential for a possible experimental mod. I think my dad said he paid something like 3 or 4 USD for it.

Last edited:

exodus125

Enlightened
one more thing, one thing I noticed is that the head is somewhat adjustable, but not as much as a Maglite since the head end is not angled, so im thinking some kind of LED Mod would be best for it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KowShak

Enlightened
I have a very similar 4D chinese light and I put an LED reflector from a WF-500 into it, with a Cree R2 pill screwed into the back. The head had to be bored out a bit to take the reflector, I probably could have turned down the reflector but I ground the head out using a small grindstone on the end of a drill.

The grinding process was slow because the aluminium kept clogging the grindstones, completely coating them, so I had to keep grinding a piece of scrap steel to remove the aluminium. The next light that I bored out I did on the lathe, much faster!

The next job was to sort out contacts for the springs on the back of the LED module, again on the lathe I made up an aluminium part to screw in for the negative contact and the springs in the centre touch for the positive terminal.

Definately worth doing, the light was producing about 40 lumens in original form and with an R2 (according to the manufacturer) produces over 200!

Last edited:

KowShak

Enlightened
The WF-500 reflector and R2 pill came from DealExtreme.

I had to make my own aluminium part to make the negative contact, it was made from aluminium round bar on a lathe.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "20W monster" LED can be fitted to a brass heatsink (made from a plumber's brass pipe endcap), and powered by 15 NiCad AA cells in 5 cheap 3AA battery carriers. Current is only 1A, so the stock switch and battery carriers will be fine.

The result is more-or-less a match for the P7.

Illum

Flashaholic
looks crappy, but does have some potential....

is that gray pedstal that holds the lamp plastic or metal?
internal/external dimensions?

oh, and in proper accordance with forum Rules #3, all images should have a maximum dimension of 800x800. If you don't know how to resize them, send me the pictures and I'll rehost them with the appropriate dimension for you :thumbsup:

KowShak

Enlightened
There are LED bulbs that will replace a standard PR base bulb in any generic torch.

The best of these are 1 watt and produce about 40 lumens which isn't a massive amount of light but compares well with the standard incandescent bulbs that cheap torches come with. I briefly tried a Terralux TLE-1F before I put the R2 into the light I modified.

The PR base type LED bulbs will go in any torch pretty much without any mods. There are also some bulbs that will only fit a Maglite, these tend to be better than the PR base bulbs but wouldn't fit your light.

Check out this thread for a list of them...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595