Dereelight CL1H & Zebra light in the bush.

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks,
Just got back from my annual 2 to 3 weeks in the bush of Northern BC and this year I had a CL1H and a Zebra Light 50 to take with me.

The CL1H is a thing of beauty in country were you worry about something eating your dogs, keep a rifle loaded and handy around camp and don't forget it's DARK at night in the North Country at this time of year for about 12 to 14 hrs, depending on atmospheric conditions.

I brought along two spare 18650's and never needed to change out batteries but I have to admit, the light was a bit off on the last day and probably should have changed. I showed it to another hunting party and it was like gears were skipping when he saw the flat out power of the CL1H. 5 1/2" of flashlight that lit up the other side of the little lake we were camped on (OP reflector too). I'm sending him the purchase info.

The Zebra Light was a God send. Low and mid worked just fine for casual moving around the camp and doing chores, reading used mid and high, depending on the book. To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth was fine on mid, 1421 needed high for parts and for all the pictures (Neat books)

To make a long and really pleasant story shorter, you can wash dishes, cook a meal or dress a moose with the Zebralight and CL1H is an absolute joy to use on low and mid for minor tasks and moving around, with full power able to blast the darkness into bright light at will.

I followed the recommendations of folks on CPF and to say that I'm glad I did is an understatement. My hunting partner was using a rubber coated Streamlight (5" model) with single on/off function and there was no comparison for versatility or power.

Thanks guys,
Pat

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a big fan of the Zebralights and the CL1H I'm glad they worked out well for you on your trip. I know they will be with me on any trips I take. :)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just encouraged me a little bit more to buy a Zebralight :grin2:.

rayman

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
From those I've seen on here that have purchased a Zebralight they have had nothing but good things to say about it. I have a H50, and two H30's. I don't normally buy two of the same light, but I love my H30 so much I bought a spare because you just never know how long these companies will be around. Take Regalight's WT1, awesome light, but you can't get it anymore. Glad I got one when I did.

The Zebralight is just something I think anyone can appreciate. I got one for my father, a H30, and he is big time into HAM radio. Each year he works a contest called field day where they set up in a field with low power radios, put up an antenna in the field, etc, to practice for a disaster where they may have to set up an emergancy station. He used the H30 on low all through the darkness of night to light his equipment. It made me happy that it worked out well for him, had plenty of battery life on low (3.5 days I think) to get him through the night, and amazingly it was comfortable for him to wear for all those hours. :) Once your eyes are adapted to the dark the Zebralight's low looks pretty bright.

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
Right you are Wade; they'll both be with me on any trip, anywhere. Having the Zebralight on is not a hardship as the elastic of the head-band does not have to be tight at all. It seems to want to stay exactly where it is. I was a bit worried about using it in the rain but found that putting a ball cap on with the brim up a bit, protected the light and seemed to work just fine.

In answer to the Great Moose Hunt question, in a word, no. First time in 17 years that we didn't take one or two moose. Oh well, sooner or later we figured that we'd get skunked and this was the year. I've still got lots of moose in the freezer, plus salmon, honey-garlic sausage made from moose and elk, pepperoni from the same meat and part of a young bull cow that grew up mostly in the wilds of the BC coast and is some of the most tasty beef I've eaten in years.

I had wondered whether the H50 Zebralight would put out enough light and there's no question that it does. If I was working alone on an animal, without other light, I think medium would work well for most chores and high, when needed. A great piece of equipment in anyone's kit bag and I can't stress enough the feeling of security that having the CL1H gave.

Where I was is NOT A PARK and the animals there are just animals that may or may not want to take what you have, including pets and groceries.

Being able to light up the bush for a distance was great feeling, that plus the new Brockmans Tritium sights that I installed on the 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun which was stoked with 450 gr. hard cast bullets. Dandy little close range and defensive piece and the sights really are instantly visible in the dark. Neat enough that I left my 1897 Winchester 12 ga. at home this year. (Maybe that's why no moose, broke the spell. lol)

Almost forgot the little Fenix EO1 that did it's usual splendid job. Neat little watch pocket unit that just does what it's supposed to with no fuss or bother.

Regards to all,
Pat

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story. Always interesting to hear peoples experiences in the woods.

could the CL1H have been so bright that it drove the moose away?

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
No bayonet lugs or hand guard on my '97. Cut the barrel down to 19" (Legal) stripped the remaining blueing off and Browned all the metal. Very nice looking piece, striking in fact with all the metal browned insted of blued. Figure to put it in one of those old fire axe oak wall mounts with the frosted glass and the brass hammer. Y'know, the ones that say "In Case of Emergency Break Glass ". lol

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea on the case.

Still have mine, my Dad's and my Father-in-Laws. Can't bear to part with any of them.

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
As near as I can tell, it's the cool white that it came with. I know the light is a beautiful white light and helps me see things that have always been difficult to see before I got this light.

What is the advantage for the Q2 5A?

jenskh

Enlightened
The Q2 5A gives a warmer light that many, and including me, finds even more pleasing than the WC light. It gives a more natural color on the surroundings (especially green colors) when used outdoors. The disadvantage is that it gives out considerably less light. I am really looking forward to higher binned leds with the 5A tint.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q2 5A gives a warmer light that many, and including me, finds even more pleasing than the WC light. It gives a more natural color on the surroundings (especially green colors) when used outdoors. The disadvantage is that it gives out considerably less light. I am really looking forward to higher binned leds with the 5A tint.

Dereelight has Q3 5A's now. There shouldn't be that much difference between a Q2, Q3 and Q5 as far as output. I wouldn't say they give out considerably less light, I'd say they give out a little bit less light.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
......I brought along two spare 18650's and never needed to change out batteries but I have to admit, the light was a bit off on the last day and probably should have changed. I showed it to another hunting party and it was like gears were skipping when he saw the flat out power of the CL1H. 5 1/2" of flashlight that lit up the other side of the little lake we were camped on (OP reflector too). I'm sending him the purchase info.....

+

I can't think of a better place than a Northern BC camp to test lights.

Its always nice to know you never needed the other 18650,
but had it just in case...:devil:

Cool story!!

Fird

Enlightened
For what it's worth I did a similar experiment with the new 5A pill

Took my CL1HV3 with its brand new Q3 5A pill on a walk last night, as well as the C2H (but I'll save that for the C2H forum). I can say that after using a Q4 WC tint for a long time, which I thought was just fine, I really do like the 5A warmer tint. Subjectively the two pills are very close in total output.

In the woods, note it's fall season here so the primary colors are red, orange, brown, and the bark on the trees. I also found a few green leaves: the 5A had a very clear edge in rendering things at a distance. I can't say it looked 'brighter' to my eyes, but things definitely 'popped' out more.

jenskh

Enlightened
Dereelight has Q3 5A's now. There shouldn't be that much difference between a Q2, Q3 and Q5 as far as output. I wouldn't say they give out considerably less light, I'd say they give out a little bit less light.
Well, my old 3SD Q5, CL1H pill with SMO reflector used to give more than 230 lumens according to my measurements. Now after quite some hours of use, it seems to give about 210 lumens. I received a new 3SD Q5 pill with my DBS. It has a more bluish and not pleasant tint. Used with SMO reflector in my CL1H, it gives about 218 lumens.
My new 3SD A5 Q2 pill gives about 162 lumens in the same reflector. :candle:There is also a considerable difference in the perceived light output both indoors and outdoors. I still use the Q2 pill, because I love the tint, but for me the difference is considerable.:thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new 3SD A5 Q2 pill gives about 162 lumens in the same reflector. :candle:There is also a considerable difference in the perceived light output both indoors and outdoors. I still use the Q2 pill, because I love the tint, but for me the difference is considerable.:thinking:

Is your 3SD Q2 5A the 1.2A version? I THINK the early ones were 1A , maybe someone can confirm this? I think the one I got is only at 1A, but now they are 1.2A. If you have a 1A version there would be more of a difference between a Q5 1.2A and Q2 1A obviously.

jenskh

Enlightened
Alan had just confirmed that the Q2 pills gave 1,2 A to the led, and Dereelight had also just updated their website accordingly when I ordered the pill. But my measurements shows that it uses 0,2 A less from the battery than the Q5 pills. I guess this means I have been given a 1 A pill in spite of the description.:sigh:
I also described my observation around this in Dereelights sales thread (both the low light output and current usage), but I got no reaction to that.:sigh:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan had just confirmed that the Q2 pills gave 1,2 A to the led, and Dereelight had also just updated their website accordingly when I ordered the pill. But my measurements shows that it uses 0,2 A less from the battery than the Q5 pills. I guess this means I have been given a 1 A pill in spite of the description.:sigh:
I also described my observation around this in Dereelights sales thread (both the low light output and current usage), but I got no reaction to that.:sigh:

It's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you may have a 1A version. If the Q5 has a higher Vf it may draw more current than the Q2 with a lower Vf, but I don't know if it will be a whole 0.2A difference?

Maybe you can send it back to Alan for adjustment, or upgrade to a Q3 5A?

I'm pretty sure I have a Q2 5A 1A. I'm tempted to order a Q3 5A 1.2A.