Fun Stuff You Can Do With Your Flashlight

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Here's a few things you can do for fun:

1. I acquired a Polarion PH50 on Halloween, and it just happened to be raining that night. I went outside to test it for the first time, and pointed it in the sky to see the beam profile. I was able to see actual raindrops falling from the sky! It almost looked like I was traveling through space and the stars were passing by me, like Star Wars or something. Very cool!:twothumbs Pictures don't do it justice, it's something you have to do yourself.

If you have a high powered HID try it sometime!:drool:

2. If you have an LED flashlight, try sprinkling some water on the bezel. Shine it at a white wall, and you can see tiny images of the LED chip! Sometimes you have to rotate the light a bit to get it just right.

I love doing this with my Cree lights!:grin2:

3. Incans... set things on fire? I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING!:caution:

If anyone has more ideas feel free to add them. Have fun guys.:party:

Dudemar

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Something cool I discovered with my PH50

I will try that with my vector twin HID, should be fun. :thumbsup:

BTW: nice on getting a PH50. I could imagine it would be very difficult on getting a photo of the rain drops.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Should have a Sam's Club POB HID coming in next week. Can't wait to see the falling dew. :)

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will try that with my vector twin HID, should be fun. :thumbsup:

BTW: nice on getting a PH50. I could imagine it would be very difficult on getting a photo of the rain drops.

He he thanks, it most certainly is a beast.:D Short runtime, but who's complaining?:laughing: I LOVE IT!!!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I have shined my Power On Board HID up into the sky during rain and it does create an amazing effect! The flood of rain appears visible hundreds of feet up coming at high speed. I could see the drops long before they hit the ground. I can't wait to do this with my N30!

I light up low lying clouds all the time with my POB HID, and I recommend everyone else with a spotlights do this. I also like viewing the beams of my lights from a distance. I like comparing the beams of my lights in the night sky and seeing which one is the most visible from far away.

I just wet the bezel of my 4 mode Brinkmann 2D 3 watt CREE, and like you said there were little images of the emitter (a square with a little ridge). What a cool effect!

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe I might cook some eggs on a frying pan with my Borealis Mag. :D That thing gets hot with radiant heat.:naughty:

We should be getting rain soon, So I will try out the rain drops.

One thing I love doing is when we have low thick fog, I shine my Ti-mega around & its beam looks so wicked.

I love cloud bouncing as BlueBeam mentioned too.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
One thing I love doing is when we have low thick fog, I shine my Ti_mega around & its beam looks so wicked.

Agreed.:thumbsup: Even a weak flashlight's beam is very visible in the fog. The POB makes an amazing beam visible from an extreme distance in the fog, and close up it almost looks solid. Your awesome TI MEGA must look like a LASER. I can't wait to get mine.

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
me too.

But Id say it would take ages to heat up, The Torch 100w overdriven I think can. That dishes out lotsa heat. I LOL'd when I saw the video of cooking eggs on wicked laser's Torch site.:crackup:

EDIT::::
BlueBeam I look forward to your reaction with the Ti-Mega, since you have such an appreciation for all your lights.

I wish I took photos of the lights I had in Fog, they were amazing. Have to wait next year for winter.:mecry:

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
me too.

But Id say it would take ages to heat up, The Torch 100w overdriven I think can. That dishes out lotsa heat. I LOL'd when I saw the video of cooking eggs on wicked laser's Torch site.:crackup:

EDIT::::
BlueBeam I look forward to your reaction with the Ti-Mega, since you have such an appreciation for all your lights.

I wish I took photos of the lights I had in Fog, they were amazing. Have to wait next year for winter.:mecry:

I do look forward to getting it! I imagine it will be my best cloud bounce light yet with its laser like hotspot and pencil thin beam. I love throwers and have a feeling it will be my favorite light!

Another thing I like to do with my high power throwers is position them shining at an object, lighting up a cloud, or lighting up a field, and walk away to observe them. You don't see how truly powerful a light is until you see it from a distance (IMO of course).:thumbsup:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree....

I quite often go out on a crystal clear night & view my spotlights beam from a distance. Its so fun... I'm like checking the beam from all angles & taking photos while Non flashaholics look @ me & scratch their heads.:D

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Agree....

I quite often go out on a crystal clear night & view my spotlights beam from a distance. Its so fun... I'm like checking the beam from all angles & taking photos while Non flashaholics look @ me & scratch their heads.:D

LOL! I have gotten looks too when I am shining my POB around in a public place. Even a small flashlight can appear bright like a spotlight from a distance. It is quite a neat effect.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have shined my Power On Board HID up into the sky during rain and it does create an amazing effect! The flood of rain appears visible hundreds of feet up coming at high speed. I could see the drops long before they hit the ground. I can't wait to do this with my N30!

I light up low lying clouds all the time with my POB HID, and I recommend everyone else with a spotlights do this. I also like viewing the beams of my lights from a distance. I like comparing the beams of my lights in the night sky and seeing which one is the most visible from far away.

Yes very cool! I "cloud bounced" with my Xenide on July 4th, that was when I discovered that was possible! I was going to post pics of it here in the Cafe, but I got too busy with school. C'est la vie.

I just wet the bezel of my 4 mode Brinkmann 2D 3 watt CREE, and like you said there were little images of the emitter (a square with a little ridge). What a cool effect!

Hehe pretty cool huh? I discovered it on accident when I left my Pila GL3 next to the sink.:grin2:

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Yes very cool! I "cloud bounced" with my Xenide on July 4th, that was when I discovered that was possible! I was going to post pics of it here in the Cafe, but I got too busy with school. C'est la vie.

Hehe pretty cool huh? I discovered it on accident when I left my Pila GL3 next to the sink.:grin2:

It really is a cool effect seeing the shape of the LED emitter projected in the beam!

I beamed my Power On Board HID into the sky on July 4th as the beam is visible from long distances. That must have been fun seeing your Xenide HID light up the clouds.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Discovered another one... this one has to do with the Polarion PH50.

Right after you turn it off, grab a low powered LED light and point towards the bezel of the PH50. 60 lumens will do, nothing too bright. Be careful not to blind yourself.:p If you can see brown dots of liquid, that's the molten salt. In a few seconds they will solidify and turn into a powdery yellow. Wait about 20-30 seconds, and those same dots will turn brown again.

Pretty cool huh? I think it looks pretty when all the salt droplets start to solidify.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the mirror, sweep the bezel of an intense light upwards and downwards behind slightly spaced fingers to create one heck of a sparkle effect.