Batteries for a PT apex

Bdr1783

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a new apex just wondering what's the best batteries to run in this headlamp for caving?

Mark620

Enlightened
That depends on the version of the light - Apex, APEX Pro, APEX Extreme

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If I am able to freshly charge batteries the night before, I'll use my standard NiMH 2700 mAh Powerex or 2650 mAh Duracell AA's.

Otherwise, I use Eneloop or "Duraloop" batteries in my Apex.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have the older 60 lumen Apex. I use 2450 mAh Energizer NiMH batteries. They are made in Japan and seem to work well. I think Duracell makes some good 2600+ NiMH batteries but don't own any. Also used both Lithiums and Duraloops aka LSD 2000 NiMH cells. All work well. But I am no expert on batteries.

Edit.

Also have used standard batteries. Mostly Duracell and they worked well too.

Last edited:

Sarratt

Enlightened
It seems to be that Low Self Discharge (LSD) batteries like Eneloops work best.
Even though you think you would be better using a higher mAH then 2000, in practice the higher (above 2500) loose their advantage very very quickly.

Check out the battery section for a lot more information.

:welcome:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest Eneloops or lithiums. Alkalines and regular rechargeables aren't as reliable in cold weather. In a cave, I would assume that it would be cool or cold.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I am able to freshly charge batteries the night before, I'll use my standard NiMH 2700 mAh Powerex or 2650 mAh Duracell AA's.

Otherwise, I use Eneloop or "Duraloop" batteries in my Apex.

+1 on this if it is either a 4AA Apex or an Extreme 8AAs.

I don't have eneloops, but use similar cells from GP or Varta.

The higher capacity 2500+ mAh cells self discharge faster so don't store well compared to Eneloop type cells.

If you are planning on only using one type of cells I'd get Eneloop or similar low self discharge cells.

Sverre

Bdr1783

Newly Enlightened
well I stand corrected my light is the 80 lumen apex 4aa thanks for the help I just wanted to maybe lighten up my helmet every gram helps. I guess i never knew that batteries were so diverse.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Eneloop NiMh. I know well in advance when I'm going caving so I could get away with a higher capacity cell and charge a couple days before, but the Eneloop simplifies my life because I know they will be charged when I need them. One less thing to worry about.

There are a couple hundred threads on AA batteries in the battery section.

Here is one that is applicable.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2640156#post2640156

Since I know the question is coming, this isn't the place to ask where to get them.
There is always a Eneloop thread or two (or 10) in the "good deals" section of CPFMP.