Looking For Pocket LED

radar696

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for something small that isn't very costly. I'm thinking a light that uses 3 AAA batteries would be perfect.

I would like to be able to use it when I'm camping with my Boy Scout Troop.

I would love to be able to spend $100.00 or more on a Streamlight or something similar but I just can't.

So if you have some ideas for something reasonable I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Radar

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the Nitecore D10 for a little over 50 bucks. Single AA and a solidly built light. Plenty of info here in CPF if you do a search....

1996alnl

Enlightened
Or you can look at the Fenix LD10,about $55-60. Uses 1 AA battery and has 6 levels.Works very well with Sanyo eneloop.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
+1 for the Fenix LD10

The Lumapower Connexion is a little cheaper and features a pocket clip, holster, GITD switch cover and O-ring. 3 levels, no strobe or SOS, 1 AA.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would help a lot us here if you could be a bit more specific on your budget, i focused immediately on $100 and went down just a wee bit from there.

PM-ed you some budget recommendations. Do not wish to post links to products here.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Define what you want to spend, because "reasonable" for most people here can be anywhere from $5 to $100.

Also, please avoid 3xAAA hand held lights, as they are usually a waste of money for numerous reasons.

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys.

I guess maybe that was a little too vague.

I do need a new flashlight for camping. I have a good selection of Maglights but I'm looking for something that will fit into my coat pocket and throw a decent amount of light.

At the same time I am currently without a job so anything more than $30.00 is out.

Thanks for all of the feed back already. You guys were pretty fast.

I will say that I was reading about that new Ugly Husky light from Home Depot and then saw the thread about the Task Force light at Lowes and I may just try to pick up one of those.

Radar

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Hyperloop,

I went looking for a PM but it shows zero messages.

So are you sure you sent that message through?

Radar

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Coleman Max 115 lumens 3 AAA from WalMart is in your price range.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Sorry guys.

I guess maybe that was a little too vague.

I do need a new flashlight for camping. I have a good selection of Maglights but I'm looking for something that will fit into my coat pocket and throw a decent amount of light.

At the same time I am currently without a job so anything more than $30.00 is out.

Thanks for all of the feed back already. You guys were pretty fast.

I will say that I was reading about that new Ugly Husky light from Home Depot and then saw the thread about the Task Force light at Lowes and I may just try to pick up one of those.

Radar

When you say decent amount of light....it is also quite relative. You said you are using this flashlight for camping.....and even this can be quite hard to determine what you NEED.

I go camping a lot and when it is just completely dark at night....all you really need to walk around the campsite is a small Fenix E01 (about $15) or something similar. But if you're walking a considerable distance or even hiking on a trail at night, for $30 or less, I would say a Streamlight Microstream is a good choice. But even the Microstream doesn't put out that much when you need to see something in the distance. In that case, maybe a really used Fenix L1T or Olight T15 or something.

If you can push your budget to about $50, then the choices increase by a lot. I recently bought a new Leatherman S2 and i like it alot. It's 45 lumens on one AAA battery.

If it has to be $30 or below, another way you can do this is get TWO led flashlights from Dealextreme. Carry both when you go camping. Romisen RC-F4 is bright as hell but it runs off CR123As. Ultrafire C3 is another popular budget LED flashlight.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can check Dealextreme or Kaidomain for some lower price lights. If you want faster shipping and some of the above budget lights, check shiningbeam.

Could you be a bit more specific as to what you are looking for?
Preferred batteries?(avoid 3 AAA lights, direct drive and usually low quality)
How much throw?
How much runtime?
Size?
Multiple modes?

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Could you be a bit more specific as to what you are looking for?
Preferred batteries?(avoid 3 AAA lights, direct drive and usually low quality)
How much throw?
How much runtime?
Size?
Multiple modes?
Preferred batteries: Something that no matter where I'm at I can buy some off the rack. The lights that take the CR123's are real nice but those batteries are just too expensive.

As to throw: I'm just too new to this and I'm not sure how to answer that question. I can say that I like a light that has some distance to it. When you're out in the woods sometime you need to be able to see down the trail.

Runtime: Well for me sure that's important too. Really bright lights are fun for me like all of the rest of you but when you're out camping for the weekend sometimes you need your light for more than 2 or 3 hours. So a good runtime is important.

Plus with Boy Scouts you need something that can take a beating at times.

As to size: Well I would really like something that I can just put in my pocket, that's why I had mentioned the ones that hold 3 AAA's but if need be I'll go for a 2 cell that takes C or D cells if it gets me through the weekend without groping in the dark.

Modes: Well sure I'd like some of those too. Like focusing from widebeam to spot or or even high and low settings but I'm sure that in my budget range I won't see any of that. At least not this year. Maybe next as LED's continue to take over the market.

Radar:candle:

Konrad0

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for something small that isn't very costly. I'm thinking a light that uses 3 AAA batteries would be perfect.

I would like to be able to use it when I'm camping with my Boy Scout Troop.

I would love to be able to spend $100.00 or more on a Streamlight or something similar but I just can't.

So if you have some ideas for something reasonable I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Radar

hi , you still can get Streamlight with price up to $10
go to http://www.topflashlights.com/products/pocketseries
and use 10% off code chg810

Konrad

toolpig1

Enlightened
I'll agree with the comment to avoid any light that takes 3AAA. They run out of "steam" pretty fast and the battery carrier sucks. With the money situation, take a look at the Lowe's deal this Friday. Minimag-led, either 2AA or 3AA for $11 each. Also, Magled 2D and 3D for $15 each, but hardly lights that you can put in your pocket.

loanshark

Enlightened
The Coleman max 2xAA sounds like it would fit the bill. Decent run time, within your budget, bright, easily fits in a coat pocket, and it's available from your corner wally world...

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower LM31 is in ur budget
The Fenix E20 is just above by a few dollars, it coes 34 after the code I believe
Lastly, check out shiningbeam.com they have a lot of decent lights for under 30 bucks
Specifically, I would look at the Romisen Rc-G2 or the Romisen Rc-N3

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think you should also consider a Fenix L0D Q4 that can be had for about $40 (including CPF discount). Just a bit more than you said, but a worthy choice if you can swing it. Not a big thrower, but still surprising, and it will run all night on low. And having strobe and SOS would be fun to annoy people. :laughing:

Geoff

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD is a fantastic light, but for camping he may want something that can run a little brighter for longer and is thus not as compact.