What are best under $30 backpacking flashlights?

777qqq

Newly Enlightened
I've spent a fair amount of time on the Net researching different flashlights for backpacking. I've made little progress in narrowing down the choices because there are so many good, compact flashlights out there now. I want something that uses AA or AAA batteries and has a maximum price around $30. Could you include approximate run times and brightness in your responses? Thanks for any replies.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
backpacking.... you want throw or flood, do you backpack at night only or camp at night mostly. you worried about waterproofness. runtime expected and brightness wanted.
I don't backpack so I can only guess as to the trails you would frequent.. rough mountain, soggy marsh.. etc. wild animals and obscure trails?

drmaxx

Enlightened
As Lynx_Arc mentioned, the key question is: what do you intend to do with it?

I for my part would recommend a headlamp. If you do not intend to some serious nighthikes then Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp is a good choice. With some luck you should get this one close to $30. Strong enough to help you to get home on a iffy trail if things go different as planned. A good camp light and really nice and small so that you can take it along on any hike as an emergency light.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
For camping, I want something pretty light, lots of run time, uses AA only, has a nice wide beam for setting up camp, but has a bright enough hot spot to see a little ahead of you for walking. Most important, it must be completely waterpoof and reliable.

I would go with any of the AA headlamps that has at least a 1Watt with adjustable brightness for emergencies. You could get one for $30 on sale.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following are great lights for backpacking, they offer solid runtimes, waterproof performance and a floody beam that is great for general purpose camp or hiking duties:
The following offer more output and a longer throwing beam:
If you can raise the spending limit a little, I think that you would be very, very happy... happier than with any of my earlier recommendations, with the Fenix LD01

Bring both an E01 and an LD01 with you, fed by Energizer lithium batteries and you will get around 13 hours of regulated runtime and floody, general purpose light from the E01 and you will get excellent runtimes with a longer reaching beam from your LD01. Both together weigh very little are durable and water resistant.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've spent a fair amount of time on the Net researching different flashlights for backpacking. I've made little progress in narrowing down the choices because there are so many good, compact flashlights out there now. I want something that uses AA or AAA batteries and has a maximum price around $30. Could you include approximate run times and brightness in your responses? Thanks for any replies.

You could get a much better flashlight if you were willing to spend just a little more.
The Fenix LD20 is one of the best all around camping/backpacking lights of all time! Very lightweight if you use Energizer Lithium cells, and it has one of the most efficient circuits of any flashlight on the market.
Here is a review of the L2DQ5, which is the predecessor of the LD20.

http://light-reviews.com/fenix_l2d_ce_q5/

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

For backpacking with the least weight as possible, try a Photon Microlight and some spare coin cells.

For lots of flood try a Zerbalight model such as the H50 (1-AA version) that is primarily a headlamp but can double as an approximately 160 degree lantern. You can also clip this light to your shoulder strap for hands free hiking.

If you don't mind holding your light there are countless options out for less than $30. IMO equally as important is a pouch to keep your flashlight in.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several $100+ lights but by far the light I use the most for camping and trail hiking is the Princeton Tec EOS.

Make sure you get the 2009 model with 50 lumens. The previous models only have 25 lumens.

It might be a bit over $30 but worth it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The best $30 flashlight for camping/backpacking is not a flashlight, it's a headlamp. See cave dave's suggestion.

I'm partial to the Argo HP, but that's because I own one. uses CR123s though.... sorry :)

DaveG

Enlightened
How about a light made by a backpacker,the Pak-lite not super bright and 9-volt but runs a long time takes up no space at all.Great back up light.

carrot

Flashaholic
I had a longer post but CPF lost it-

I suggest either a Fenix E01 (~7 lumens, 11 hours)
or a Petzl E+Lite. The E+Lite is very small and lightweight, uses common coin cell batteries, and has four modes (high and low in red or white).

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I have several $100+ lights but by far the light I use the most for camping and trail hiking is the Princeton Tec EOS.

Make sure you get the 2009 model with 50 lumens. The previous models only have 25 lumens.

It might be a bit over $30 but worth it.

Also, the EOS is regulated :) People generally assume that all 3xAAA lights are direct drive, but I guess Princeton Tec just wanted a flat profile on the back, or something.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following are great lights for backpacking, they offer solid runtimes, waterproof performance and a floody beam that is great for general purpose camp or hiking duties:

These are great lights if you like to hike ultralight. The ARC AAA is the only light I bring and takes care of all my lighting needs

concept0

Enlightened
Oh, and I'd also recommend the Photon ReX. I love mine, and it sort of meets your qualifications because, although it has an internal Li-ion battery, it can recharge from standard 1.5v and 3.0v cells.

Also very easy to access settings from low to high (very bright for tiny light) and it has SOS/beacon/morse code settings as well. For some reason, they haven't made the accessories yet. But they were supposed to be releasing a solar charger and hopefully a light clip.

Costs $20-$25