Nitecore: not impressed

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I puchased a D10 GD as a christmas present for a family member. It arrived today and my first impression was that it seemed well built. I looked around for a AA to drop in it but could only find one from the TV remote. I put the remote battery in the light and turned it on(battery was a standard alkaline), it was not very bright maybe 60 or 70 lumens. I figured that the battery was low on power and decided to put one of my energizer rechargable on the charger. When the battery was done charging I poped it in the light and didn't see any difference in brightness. It also has almost a pure flood beam, something I was not expecting. So far I am not happy with this light, the output is not even close to the claimed 130 lumens, the UI is not what I would call easy and the pocket clip was hard to install and came with the wrong size allen wrench.

With all the good talk about the nitecore lights I thought this was going to be a good puchase, but now I am not so sure.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't sound right. Mine still looks bright beside both my P2D and T25 - it definitely looks in the area of 130 lumens in relation to those.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I puchased a D10 GD as a christmas present for a family member. It arrived today and my first impression was that it seemed well built. I looked around for a AA to drop in it but could only find one from the TV remote. I put the remote battery in the light and turned it on(battery was a standard alkaline), it was not very bright maybe 60 or 70 lumens. I figured that the battery was low on power and decided to put one of my energizer rechargable on the charger. When the battery was done charging I poped it in the light and didn't see any difference in brightness. It also has almost a pure flood beam, something I was not expecting. So far I am not happy with this light, the output is not even close to the claimed 130 lumens, the UI is not what I would call easy and the pocket clip was hard to install and came with the wrong size allen wrench.

With all the good talk about the nitecore lights I thought this was going to be a good puchase, but now I am not so sure.

Do a wall test a 1 meter, does your light beam look similar to this? Remember, single AA lights generally are not throwers too, although the Q5 version of this light gets 2800 lux on a 14500. Mine is definately 130 lumens on max.
P1080153-1.jpg

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I compared it to some other lights, I think the flood beam is fooling me a bit. Its not bad but only as bright as my P1DQ5 in general mode maybe a little brighter. The GD led also has a very cool tint and most of my lights have warmer tints (besids the P1d) so this also may be effecting my judgement. If I knew it was going to have so much flood I think I would have went with the Q5 version though. I also think I am expecting too much from a AA light, all of my other lights are CR123 based and generally more powerful than AA based lights. I think I will give it a chance but might still exchange it for a Q5.

Besides the output issue I really like the light, the threads are nice and thick, the knurling is good, and the piston switch is cool. I also figured out the UI and its much easier to use than previously thought.

naked2

Enlightened
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Q5 version of this light is brighter with a tighter spot (my preference as well). Here is a review of the D10 GDP. It also has a graph comparing the GDP version to the Q5 version on both 14500s and Eneloops.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the GDP version to have the tighter spot - almost annoyingly throwy for my close-range use.

jbos, what method did you use to arrive at 60-70L? Also, maybe it's just me, but I found the UI to be easy as pie, especially compared to programmable lights like the LiteFlux series (and HDS/Novatac, but I've never personally tried those). Even my very non-flashaholic mom quickly guessed how to turn it on and off. The ramping and shortcuts are icing on the cake, and a couple of my friends figured those out immediately, without any instructions.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared it to some other lights, I think the flood beam is fooling me a bit. Its not bad but only as bright as my P1DQ5 in general mode maybe a little brighter. The GD led also has a very cool tint and most of my lights have warmer tints (besids the P1d) so this also may be effecting my judgement. If I knew it was going to have so much flood I think I would have went with the Q5 version though. I also think I am expecting too much from a AA light, all of my other lights are CR123 based and generally more powerful than AA based lights. I think I will give it a chance but might still exchange it for a Q5.

Besides the output issue I really like the light, the threads are nice and thick, the knurling is good, and the piston switch is cool. I also figured out the UI and its much easier to use than previously thought.

Yeah, the tint could be one issue making it appear dimmer and the fact that the other lights are using 3.7-4.2v and you are using AA batteries in this one (1.2-1.5v) then there is going to be a difference. Based on reviews, on a 14500, the Q5 has about 2800lux on a 14500 while the GDP has around 2000lux on a 14500, quite a difference. So, the Q5 does have a tighter spot.

Do you have any 14500 batteries? These will make a small difference in teh GDP but a much bigger difference in the Q5.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

jbosman1013,

You are right. According to as well others and my experience the Nitecore D10 isn't close to the stated 130 lumens. Anyway not compared to Fenix-lumens. With my lightmeter Link the max brightness is slightly above 100 lumens. Not bad at all however, and I am not dissatisfied with such a small light.

Regards, Patric

hivoltage

Enlightened
I bought a Nitecore Extreme and was not impressed with it either....I played with it for 10 minutes and put it up for sale. It wasn't nearly as nice or as bright as my Jetbeam Jet II Pro.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a NiMH my D10 makes about 100 to 110 lumens. Brightness isn't everything, though.

1dash1

Enlightened
Jbosman1013:

Perhaps the Q5 version would have been more to your liking - brighter and throwier than the GD+.

You mentioned that your GD+ has a "cooler tint"? :thinking:

My EX10 GD+ is far warmer and floodier than my D10 Q5. I find I like the D10 for daytime carry (where there's a lot of competing ambient lighting) and I prefer the EX10 at night (where the pleasing beam is more comforting).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1dash1,

I don't know about the Nitecore Q5. But my D10 GD has a much cooler tint than all my Fenix Q5 lights.

Regards, Patric

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Same here. :sigh: One of my My most disappointing LED flashlight I got is the Nitecore D10 GDP, emits weird buzzing sound on high mode and not even as bright as my other Cree flashlights. :eek:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
You mentioned that your GD+ has a "cooler tint"? :thinking:

Cooler= blue, like a fenix Q5 tint but more blue

I am still undecided about this light, Most of my lights are surefires so I guess you could say I am use to a very simple UI. It's bright enough for the person receiving this light but the flashaholic in me is not happy with the output and beam profile. It's just not a good first impression, If your going to call it a torch lumen than that's what it should be.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, all my Fenix Q5 lights have a warmer, like yellow, tint in comparison to my D10 GD.

Regards, Patric

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like my d10 gd a lot.

bright, uses cheap AA cells, infinitely variably output, and well built for $60.00.

whats not to like?

:poke:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waddup,

I mainly agree with you. Though I would like to have some fixed brightness levels too. I would like to know the brightness level I use, better than trying to estimate with the eyes. Or a function which remember a chosed setting even after the instant min or max level function has been used.

Regards, Patric

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waddup,

I mainly agree with you. Though I would like to have some fixed brightness levels too. I would like to know the brightness level I use, better than trying to estimate with the eyes. Or a function which remember a chosed setting even after the instant min or max level function has been used.

Regards, Patric

I just always start on minimum low and ramp up to the brightness I need on my D10. Rarely do I need the full power from it. Also, I would say mine is about 110 lumen on a AA battery, but I think on a 14500 it will probably be closer to 130 lumens as stated. Remember, it states 130 lumens MAX, so that doesn't mean it will be 130 lumens all the time, just on higher voltage batteries (like 14500).