What is the warmest possible led for an EX-10

tempman

Newly Enlightened
I know the GDP version is supposed to be a bit warmer colored than the Cree q5 version, but I think that is still to cool for me to read a book by. Even though I don't neccisarily have to use my EX10 to read by, It is more enjoyable to me for some reason. I suppose it is like a modern day "read by candlelight" for me. It would be even more pleasant for me if my ex10 had a very warm colored led that even rivals an incandescant. Ive read about a few like the rebel, or the K2 that are supposed to be warm, but What would be the best thing for me to drop in the ex10? I am extremely skilled in soldering by the way.

I don't mind losing a little bit of maximum output either.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Very warm would be a Cree P3 8A flux. The ex10 is an extremely easy emitter swap.

One source of the emitters would be at Cutter.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very warm would be a Cree P3 8A flux. The ex10 is an extremely easy emitter swap.

One source of the emitters would be at Cutter.
Clarification:

The 8A will be "stock maglite on way-too-old batteries" warm. Cree LEDs are available as low as 2650k, which is warmer than household incans.

IMO the nicest tint is actually 5A, which is not classified as warm but neutral -- or roughly in between most LEDs you've probably seen to date, and incandescent. My next choice would be the 6C, or about 3600k -- or comparable color temp to an overdriven "hotwire" incan (just short of melting point).

The 5A is available in flux as high as Q3. The loss in lumens is marginal and MORE than made up for by the improved color quality.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
IMO the nicest tint is actually 5A, which is not classified as warm but neutral -- or roughly in between most LEDs you've probably seen to date, and incandescent. My next choice would be the 6C, or about 3600k -- or comparable color temp to an overdriven "hotwire" incan (just short of melting point).

The 5A is available in flux as high as Q3. The loss in lumens is marginal and MORE than made up for by the improved color quality.

+1 :thumbsup:

I got my JetBeam Element E3P Q3-5A yesterday and I fell in love with the beam tint as soon as I saw it. :grin2:

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
While you guys are talking about it...does anybody know what the approximate color temp is on a Malkoff M60's Cree XRE 7990?

alphazeta

Enlightened
Clarification:

The 8A will be "stock maglite on way-too-old batteries" warm. Cree LEDs are available as low as 2650k, which is warmer than household incans.

I was just directly addressing OP's question as stated in the title "warmest possible led"

"Clarification" noted, but the answer to OP's question required a fact & not an opinion :poke:

On the other hand, I do agree with you & personally use 5A in my main cree XRE & MCE lights. I have a sample of 8A for just testing & not in any torch.

FsTop

Enlightened
If you really want to read a book with it, your best bet is to make a water-bottle-cap diffuser for a D10 - I don't know if any bottle caps fit the EX10 very well.