SureFire M2 vs C2

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have a 6PL, but I'd like to get a hard anodized SureFire 2-cell P60 host. So in my debate between the M2 and the C2 (I'm leaning toward the M2), I have a few questions for you guys:

1. Is the size difference really noticeable between the M2 and C2? I'll probably carry it on occasion in either my coat pocket in the winter or cargo shorts in the summer.

2. Does anyone have any pictures of the two size-by-side they could post?

3. I like the idea of shock isolation in the M2 and double o-rings in the tailcap. How big of a pain is it to get different drop-ins to fit in the M2? I see that some require adapter rings. Most of the time I'll probably be using incans in it, but would like to use LED drop-ins on occasion depending on the situation.

4. Any other considerations I'm overlooking that could potentially persuade me to one or the other?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Robert

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M2's length, width and weight (= heft) are obviously greater than the C2.
I see the M2 has the incandescent flashlight you 'operationally' require - the one where carrying it overtly in a quick-draw holster, running the P61 High Output Lamp Assembly because you really need the high output.

The M2 isn't an occasional light - it's too beefy not to be used where it's likely to take a regular beating and be required to keep shining bright.

If you have any plan to use LED drop-ins in the M2 then you may as well forget about it and get a C2. The M2's shock isolation thermally isolates as well and LEDs need all the thermal relief they can get.

If you're running with P60-based WeaponLights (MP5 forends, shotgun forends, M4's with M95's etc) and find that LEDs just don't cut it in your typical operational context then the M2 is an ideal handheld CombatLight when the M3 is too big.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
1. Yes, the M2 head is quite a bit bulkier.

2. Sorry, not me, but someone will be along shortly I'm sure.

3. You can always put a second O ring on the C2 body - the groove is there for that. Some LEDs will work in the M2 head, some (like Malkoff) need an adapter ring. Really, there are just too many out there to give a definitive answer.

4. Yes... The shock isolated bezel has no real benefit for LEDs, it's designed to absorb recoil shock (and works in a fore and aft direction mostly, not side to side). LEDs benefit more from having no shock isolation as this generally ensures better metal to metal contact that will lead to better heat dissipation.

If you will not be using it with a firearm get the C2, and add the extra o ring to the tail if that's important to you. If you will mostly be using the LED, get the C2, as the shock isolated head is overkill, and will reduce the heatsinking effect somewhat.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
1. Is the size difference really noticeable between the M2 and C2? I'll probably carry it on occasion in either my coat pocket in the winter or cargo shorts in the summer.
Yes the size difference is noticeable, as is the weight difference. Fortunately the M2 has a very well made belt clip so I just clip it inside my cargo shorts pocket at work, so it stays up closer to my hip. The anti-roll bezel corners are pretty aggressive too.

2. Does anyone have any pictures of the two size-by-side they could post?

Sorry, I do not. The C2 bezel is just a TypeIII anodized 6P, FWIW...
dscn0573yl4.jpg

dscn0566vw8.jpg

In the first pic you can see the substantial wall thickness of the M2. That was my main reason for my choosing it over the C2. I dropped my 6P on hard tile floor from waist high and it dented the bezel and chipped the window. That second pic is kind of distorted, making the 6P bezel appear bigger than it is.

3. I like the idea of shock isolation in the M2 and double o-rings in the tailcap. How big of a pain is it to get different drop-ins to fit in the M2? I see that some require adapter rings. Most of the time I'll probably be using incans in it, but would like to use LED drop-ins on occasion depending on the situation.
I dont find it hard at all. I use the large spring on my DX modules and it works fine. I Al-foil wrap the module to create a TIGHT fit between the reflector and body. This helps keep the emitter/pill cool, but even then I am careful not to run them unattended. Yes it practically defeats the anti-shock features inside... but for LEDs who cares. I don't usually run my M2 with LEDs though, I prefer incans.

You can also use lower output LED modules with ease. Its the high current ones that you have to be careful with.

4. Any other considerations I'm overlooking that could potentially persuade me to one or the other?
You can always get a C2 bezel for $25 on the marketplace. Get the M2 and just swap back and forth depending on what light engine you are using, or as your preferences/tastes change... thats what I'm doing. Going the other way, upgrading a C2 to an M2 however is not so easy, as M2 bezels are generally harder to come by.

The M2 just looks better:duck:

Thanks in advance everyone!
:grin2:
Robert[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
You can always get a C2 bezel for $25 on the marketplace. Get the M2 and just swap back and forth depending on what light engine you are using, or as your preferences/tastes change... thats what I'm doing. Going the other way, upgrading a C2 to an M2 however is not so easy, as M2 bezels are generally harder to come by.

GENIUS....

Use the M2 bezel for incans and the C2 bezel for LED drop-ins :)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a closer comparison. It is still hard to gauge size and weight from pictures.

m2vsc2ae2.jpg

like in this picture
dsc0850qt1.jpg

they almost look the same size. but believe me and many others here, the M2 head is big and heavy. almost too heavy in some cases. being offset by a SW02 or SW01 is great. Going to Robert's comment on the pocket clip. ever since I got my Kroma, I no longer like the C2/M2 belt clip style. I despise bezel up carry in my pocket. Especially if I pocket a M2. The head is so ungainly when it pokes up and out of my pocket.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
C2 all the way.

Easier to deal with size/weight wise. I don't think I have ever needed the shock isolation in a 2 cell hand held light, ever.

Never had a P60 pop from being dropped in a 6p before, maybe I am just lucky.

Plus I almost always use LED in this "era of the Malkoff" that we live in so the more heat I can get to the outside of the light the better!

Last edited:

ugrey

Enlightened
I was a die hard incandescent guy. It took me a long time to buy my first SureFire LED. Their first LEDs were all wall and no throw. Their newer LEDs can throw now. So can the various aftermarket drop ins. That throw, combined with the longer operating times has put an end to 2 battery/6 volt incandesents for me. Almost all my 2 battery SureFires have been converted over to LED. LEDs do not need shock isolation. It is hard for me to understand why people still use 2 battery incandescents. I have even converted over my 3 battery SureFires. To answer your question, the M2 head is too big.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Whoa there the shock isolation is a wonderful feature and incan there is nothing wrong with sticking to incan.
If in the future you decide you want more light (you are a member of CPF, which means its not if its WHEN) then you can get a set of IMR 16340's and a P91 or LF IMR-9. around 500 Surefire lumens and rechargable! The shock isolation will come in handy with the more delicate and more powerful lamp assemblys

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa there the shock isolation is a wonderful feature and incan there is nothing wrong with sticking to incan.
If in the future you decide you want more light (you are a member of CPF, which means its not if its WHEN) then you can get a set of IMR 16340's and a P91 or LF IMR-9. around 500 Surefire lumens and rechargable! The shock isolation will come in handy with the more delicate and more powerful lamp assemblys
Actually, running a P91 on 2xIMR16340 would most likely overdrive the lamp severely. I do have my eye on that upcoming IMR-9 though :naughty: Its 500 bulb lumens should work out to about 250 SureFire lumens. It would be like having an MN20 in a little C2/M2 :eek: (minus the throwing ability of the MN20 of course).

Thanks for all the comments everyone. What a hard debate it is :laughing: I do plan to pretty much only use incans in the M2/C2. With that being said, I'm going to have to agree with some of you guys that probably the best would be to get an M2 and buy a C2 head on CPFMP for when I wish to run LED drop-ins. It would be the best of both worlds.

Hmmm....now to search for a good deal on a new M2...:grin2:

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic

500 bulb lumen, not surefire lumen.