The world's largest, wearable LED display

GeorgeMaggos

Newly Enlightened
Check it out, I was talked into being a chaperone for my son's Sunday school class field trip & we were going to drive into Chicago to the Museum of Science & Industry to go see the Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light exhibit the place is packed & after we see all the 50+ Christmas trees decorated from all around the world we start exploring the rest of the Museum & other stuff.

The have airplanes, submarines & trains they have omnimax & all kinds of cool stuff.

We come to the Fast Forward exhibt area & it has all the future technolgy stuff & there is this dress, well actually a gown :eek: with like 24,000 paper thin LED's in it. It had a lot of LED's ~ I mean a lot :thinking:

It was designed by Ryan Genz and Francesca Rosella, founders of CuteCircuit. The inventors are currently working on clothing that responds to the environment. On display was what is called their "Galaxy Dress," the world's largest, wearable LED display, which uses a camera to capture the image in front of it and illuminates that image across the gown's flowing skirt.

Now remember the museum is packed :sigh: but I had my digital camera with me so I tried to take some shots of this LED Galaxy Dress without people in the way I got some they are not the best but here they are.

It was very bright & I imagine very heavy to wear so there it is :thinking:

100_9204.jpg

100_9205.jpg

100_9206.jpg

100_9207.jpg

100_9208.jpg

~George​

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having to wear this thing must be uncomfortable, but the real problem is the battery pack :p

Assuming a load of 20mA per LED, the whole thing draws a monster 480 amps :faint:

I'm guessing you'd have to carry around a cart with two or three truck batteries on it :p you certainly wouldn't feel cold with the byproduct heat of 480 amps of LED lighting on your body, though...

Last edited:

gillestugan

Enlightened
And the heat! Even if they are driven at 5mA it would still consume about 300W.
Maybe good for slow walks in the winter?