ChristmasPresent/GunOwnership/ConflictingEmotions

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this is a bit hard to explain, but...

My brother has been getting into guns lately, buying several and spending time on the range. He's gotten his concealed permit too. I've done some shooting with him and I've enjoyed it, but as for buying a gun for myself I really wasn't sure that gun ownership was right for me.

Well anyway, my dad just gave me his old Ruger .22 single six, which he has owned forever, long before I was born. So in addition to the other doubts, now I've been given what is practically an heirloom (I thought about declining to accept it, but I don't think that would have gone over well). I've already been obsessing over safety and security issues for storing it and everything (I'm in an apartment too, which means the neighbors would be really unhappy about any rounds launched through the walls -- for now I'm storing it unloaded).

I'm probably over thinking this, but it's been kind of weighing on my mind. I'll see about getting the registration done and all that stuff, and maybe apply for a CCW permit too just so I'm legal in those cases too.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Pic on the way.

jusval

Enlightened
My opinion is don't second guess yourself. If you have to really think about owning a gun, then it's probably not right for you. Nothing wrong in that any more than someone wanting to own one. Personal preference....

I used to own a lot of guns, now I don't have a one. Not good for self defense, for an untrained person and no need for it for any other reason any more.....

Just my thoughts........

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the cylinder out, put a padlock through the frame opening, hide it and the cylinder separately, and you'll have no problems.

You can still shoot it if you should want to in the future, in which case you should learn about basic safety (which ought to prevent holes in walls, etc.).

No need for a CCW unless you plan to actually carry it or some more appropriate weapon concealed, which should mean you are no longer conflicted on the subject.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
...snip...now I've been given what is practically an heirloom ...snip....

What do you mean 'practically' - it IS, or could be considered so - I inherrited Dad's rifles, and his hunting rifle, and his shotgun will be handed down to my children

Tradition

The shotgun is over 110 years old (very very early smokeless powder shotgun)

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I have found that most people are apprehensive about firearms primarily because they lack an understanding and familiarity. My wife had never shot before and was very wary about owning a firearm or firearms, until she actually went to the range to shoot and familiarize herself. Since that time she has obtained her own firearms and a CCW permit. I did not push her to any of this, but I did encourage her and offered any help when she asked along the way.

I always suggest taking a CCW course even if you don't actually get your license. The course (in Louisiana) teaches you basic firearms safety, legal obligations and ramifications, situational awareness, and, most importantly, conflict resolution (as well as other stuff)! Even if you're not going to carry, it is knowledge worth having.

As for storage safety, there are plenty of products on the market to satisfy whatever requirements you may have, or some that your state may have. I have a 10 year old boy in the house that as of yet has not expressed interest in firearms, but has been raised with a knowledge and respect for them. Just like other things that growing boys get curious about, some sort of discussion and familiarity can help keep them out of trouble.

When it comes to firearms, it's always safety first, safety second, and then safety third... saftey safety safety!!! So to your comment that you are probably over thinking this... I say as someone who carries daily there is no overthinking firearm safety! If you have any questions about anything, go to a local firearms shop and ask away. You will find that firearms people are alot like ham radio operators and flashaholics... they love to help and love to talk (probably too much)!

Good luck in whatever decision you make! :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way..... If your doubts about firearm ownership are that strong, your best bet is to gift it to your brother. He's likely to appreciate it more.

Perhaps your dad had a good reason for giving you his .22 instead of your brother. If re-gifting it will offend your dad, then just put it in a lock-box and keep it there.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way..... If your doubts about firearm ownership are that strong, your best bet is to gift it to your brother. He's likely to appreciate it more.

Perhaps your dad had a good reason for giving you his .22 instead of your brother. If re-gifting it will offend your dad, then just put it in a lock-box and keep it there.

I do wonder why he gave it to me instead of him, but it's probably because my brother already has a collection going. Maybe he's a bit jealous! But the real "fight" will be over who gets dad's old 'Vette! :laughing:

Anyway, it's not that I don't appreciate the gift, it's just that to me it's such a huge deal, since that gun has always been HIS gun. It just feels strange.

As far as handling and familiarity with it, I've actually used it quite a bit. My brother and I both shot it at various times when we were growing up. The last time I shot it was a couple of months ago, when I took it to the range with my brother and put about 50 rounds through it.

As far as storing it I don't have any other people living with me, so no worries there. I thought about getting a safe for it, but it would have to be a LARGE safe, otherwise a thief would just walk out with the whole safe and crack it at his leisure (and nothing says "steal me" like a safe and its contents). So for now it's hiding in a nondescript shoebox in a closet with other junk and a small tv and vcr, which should serve as "bait".

I do plan to take it to the range and shoot it on occasion, which I enjoy. I don't think I'd feel comfortable having it loaded at any other time though, even though a single action revolver is a pretty safe gun even when loaded, especially if carried on an empty chamber (like it should be) to prevent discharge if dropped or struck. (maybe calling a gun "safe" or "unsafe" isn't an appropriate term, but by that I mean the gun is more user friendly for a novice user as opposed to a glock or something, which that Football guy shot himself with in that nightclub! :shakehead )

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I still recall a youtube vid in which an LEO shot himself with his .40 caliber Glock.... while lecturing children about gun safety in a school classroom. Took out his gun to show it to the kids, reholstered it with his finger inside the trigger guard, and shot himself in the hip. To his credit, he still remained standing, and asked if all the kids were okay.

As for the lock-box, it was more along the lines if anyone breaks into your apartment. But a safe might indeed be better. There are small gun safes that can be bolted down to the floor, and can only be opened with the right finger-combination. A bit pricey. But an excellent way to secure a firearm from theft.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the gift. Bluecrow is right, and I also suggest taking a firearms class. It'll boost your confidence with a firearm by leaps and bounds. Even if you don't carry, a firearms safety class really is a good idea if you go shooting more than once. Here in Oregon it's just a hop and a skip past taking the class to get your concealed handgun license.

I carry everywhere the law allows, and generally choose not to go where firearms are prohibited. However, there are still places I HAVE to go that do not allow firearms, and I have one of these safes bolted into all of my vehicles for such times. I have no idea what it would cost to have one installed but mine were no trouble at all to install myself. One of these could be bolted to a bed frame or a heavy book case or other unwieldy object, and would be good for storing other valuables too. Just make sure the bolts are round-headed or you grind the wrench flats off, and the nuts are INSIDE the safe.

:buddies:

donn_

Flashaholic
Congrats on the Single Six. IMO, it's one of the best handguns ever made. I had one for years, and left it with my son in Ohio when I moved to NYC.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you can let your brother hang on to it? He can safely store it for you, and he'll let you see/use it whenever you like.:whistle:

I carry everywhere the law allows, and generally choose not to go where firearms are prohibited. However, there are still places I HAVE to go that do not allow firearms, and I have one of these safes bolted into all of my vehicles for such times. I have no idea what it would cost to have one installed but mine were no trouble at all to install myself. One of these could be bolted to a bed frame or a heavy book case or other unwieldy object, and would be good for storing other valuables too. Just make sure the bolts are round-headed or you grind the wrench flats off, and the nuts are INSIDE the safe.

I seriously looked into one of those, but at the time I had spent too much money on guns and ammo so I couldn't afford it.:oops: Mounting it in a car is a great idea, but how would you go about doing that without damaging it?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still recall a youtube vid in which an LEO shot himself with his .40 caliber Glock.... while lecturing children about gun safety in a school classroom. Took out his gun to show it to the kids, reholstered it with his finger inside the trigger guard, and shot himself in the hip. To his credit, he still remained standing, and asked if all the kids were okay.

that would be.. this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eyJM-go7Bk

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damaging the safe or the car? You have to drill holes in both. You can pull up the foam inside the safe, bolt the safe in place, then replace the foam to cover the nuts inside. I have the safe bolted into the trunk in my STi, the front firewall behind the passenger seat in my Mr2's(mid engine car, you're sitting right in front of the engine), and underneath the rear seats in my trucks. Keep the safe out of sight if someone were to look inside your car through the windows.

I don't know about other states, but in Oregon it is illegal for a non-CHL holder to carry a firearm concealed in a vehicle unless it is both unloaded and not easily accessible. Locked in one of these safes in the cab would be both concealed and quickly accessible. This is unlikely to be a problem if you loan your vehicle to someone as you'd make sure your gun isn't in the safe, but if your wife or one of your friends wait outside while you run into the courthouse to pay that speeding ticket and you've left your gun in the safe in your car, they could be charged with posession of a concealed weapon.

I'm neither lawyer nor LEO, nor do I play one on the internet. Please check the laws in your local area.

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
Wow. . Let's be reasonable here. Congratulations on the Ruger Single Six. It is a fine gun. Regarding ownership, relax. It is what all real Americans do. Registering the gun? Not sure where you are located, but fundamentally this is not required. States which require registration are in violation of the 2nd amendment, but do you want to be that test case in this political wind? Probably not. I'll leave the legal decisions up to you and your legal council.

Safety. . .Who do you live with and what kind of people are wandering about in your house. If you have children a level of security like locked in a case would be fine. Since it is a heirloom, as you put it, I would put it in a silicon sock with desiccant in the case. Keep the gun well oiled with a CLP like Break Free. This should keep it plenty protected from passer's by.

Now, if you fear theives passing by, I would find a way to either bolt down a good case or consider other options. I think some bank safety deposit boxes will allow you to descretely store guns there.

Now, regarding all this talk about disassembly or hiding, don't waste your time. Criminals are pigs. If you are hiding gun pieces, they will destroy everything you own to find the other piece, but a case mounted to a stud with lag bolts and well lock will most likely prove too much of a challenge!

Regarding your unloaded comment. . .A Ruger Single Six is the kind of gun which you nevert keep loaded in the house. It has no self defense value. Get a real gun and training, if you go that route. In addition, an NRA basic pistol coursse might be a good use of time for any and all gun owners.

Do you have any reason to believe there would be rounds "launched through the walls" from said gun. That only happens when the booger hook gets on the trigger. It is that simple. Even the story about the LEO who f'd up in front of the kids. . .booger hook on the trigger.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with all your post except this part:

It has no self defense value.

A .22 isn't much, but it's far better than nothing. If all I've got is a .22 when a bad guy breaks in, then guess what? The bad guy is getting shot with a .22. More than likely the bad guy will run like hell the instant he realizes he's going to get shot, regardless of the size of hole it's going to make. He knows better than you do that your tv is not worth his life.

All that said, I carry a .45 most of the time. :buddies:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with all your post except this part:

A .22 isn't much, but it's far better than nothing. If all I've got is a .22 when a bad guy breaks in, then guess what? The bad guy is getting shot with a .22. More than likely the bad guy will run like hell the instant he realizes he's going to get shot, regardless of the size of hole it's going to make. He knows better than you do that your tv is not worth his life.

All that said, I carry a .45 most of the time. :buddies:

Heh, I thought about this and I pretty much decided it's damn near suicidal to try using a single action .22 revolver for home defense, as opposed to diving out the back window when the guy kicks in the door.

To try it, I figure you'd have to:

1) be crazy
2) have nerves of steel
3) have the ability to put the first shot right into the other guy's forehead

Other than that I wouldn't try it! :laughing:

Oh, and the only time I'd worry about launching accidental rounds is after loading, when you have to cycle the hammer fully back and then forward to index the cylinder correctly. If your thumb happens to slip off the hammer the gun could fire. At a range it's not really a concern because it's pointed downrange when I do this process. Like I said before, I don't think I'll keep it loaded at the apartment, so it's not a concern.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damaging the safe or the car? You have to drill holes in both. You can pull up the foam inside the safe, bolt the safe in place, then replace the foam to cover the nuts inside. I have the safe bolted into the trunk in my STi, the front firewall behind the passenger seat in my Mr2's(mid engine car, you're sitting right in front of the engine), and underneath the rear seats in my trucks. Keep the safe out of sight if someone were to look inside your car through the windows.

I don't know about other states, but in Oregon it is illegal for a non-CHL holder to carry a firearm concealed in a vehicle unless it is both unloaded and not easily accessible. Locked in one of these safes in the cab would be both concealed and quickly accessible. This is unlikely to be a problem if you loan your vehicle to someone as you'd make sure your gun isn't in the safe, but if your wife or one of your friends wait outside while you run into the courthouse to pay that speeding ticket and you've left your gun in the safe in your car, they could be charged with posession of a concealed weapon.

I'm neither lawyer nor LEO, nor do I play one on the internet. Please check the laws in your local area.

Thanks for answering my question!

I live in the Democratic People's Republic of California, so you know how that goes...

I'm pretty sure the only legal way to transport a weapon (without a CCW) in CA is to lock it in the trunk, with ammo and unloaded firearm in separate containers. In my particular county, it's extremely difficult to obtain a CCW permit. Some say it's impossible, while others say it's just extremely difficult. I'd like to try out for it sometime.

That or I should just move up to Oregon. How hard is it to obtain a CHL in Oregon?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stress Test-

I don't understand your point of view. If I was breaking into a house to steal things, I would really really really rather not get shot by even a rubber band, much less a .22, even just once. It may not be a .45 or 10mm but it is most definitely a real gun and most definitely capable of doing damage, no matter where you get hit with it. Put another way, if I had to get into a fight to the death with a person and I could choose whether or not they'd been shot with a .22(even if it's "just" a flesh wound) before I fought them, I know what I'd choose.

If you hit a bad guy's head then you missed. You should be aiming at his torso/center mass. Much larger target.

Should you decide to load your weapon at your house, a 5 gallon bucket full of sand will stop .22 rounds out of a rifle and .45 rounds out of a pistol, and can be used as a safe aiming point in case of accidental discharge.

Edit: Oregon CHL info for Dudemar.

There's some county specific information in the link above, you would of course apply with the county you live in, but the CHL will allow you to carry in all of Oregon. I think the 6 month residency requirement is bogus, but again, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. The website says that applications will not be mailed, but when a friend called to set up an appointment they offered to email him the application so he could print it and fill it out.

Last edited: