LF3XT Belt Clip

Budman231

Enlightened
While I am not the original "inventor" of this crude but effective solution, I thought I would share... I took this clip off my old Gerber Infinity (cut off top arms of the clip). I fits most if not all AA and 123 lights that are similar in size to the LxD, EX10 form factor. It works great until a more elegant solution is available.

LF3XT with clip

LF3XT next to P2D-R100 with same clip

And finally how I stretched it on there without damaging the light

A set of craftsman ring pliers. They open "out" and allow you to open the clip enough to slide it on.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947386000P

Works great for now...

Bud

madi05

Enlightened
great idea but sry i cant see the pics good enough , they dont show the clip good , a bit dark i guess

thanks
madi05

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good show, Bud. That looks like a nicer clip than the old CMG Infinity. Now I have a reason to get the new Gerber version.

Geoff

Budman231

Enlightened
Google gerber infinity ultra. I had this light so I removed the clip and cutoff the metal arms next to the clip itself.

REI seems to have them for $20.

Bud

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you are in Raleigh(North Hills Mall) or Cary(Crossroads), and maybe Durham, too, madi05, there are REI stores. I've seen the Gerber in Cary recently.

Geoff

madi05

Enlightened
cool im going to raleigh tomorrow actually , lol is it inside the mall?

is it worth 20 bucks just to get a clip to u ?

thanks
madi05

snakyjake

Enlightened
May we get another picture showing how the clip is attached? Or a YouTube video for a how-to (I like motion pictures)?

Is the clip attached securely, or is it kinda flimsy.

I'm not going to spend $20 for a clip, but perhaps I can find a cheaper alternative that works just as good.

Thanks for posting the pics :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Madi05, North Hills Mall is not really an indoor mall any more after a total makeover. It's all open now with separate store entrances. REI is in there, but I can't really describe exactly where, since I've only been there once. Just drive or walk around til you see it. Shouldn't be too difficult. The REI at Crossroads (near intersection of I40 and the Beltline) is also in a strip shopping arrangement.

If you don't already have a light like the Gerber Infinity Ultra it's probably worth $20 for it and to get a clip for your incoming LF3XT. Since I've already got similar lights, I'm going to wait a bit for a better clip, maybe.

Geoff

litetube

Enlightened
what are these "top arms" on the Gerber clip that need to be cut off? does it hold tight to say a pants pocket lip with this clip or is it a softer bendable metal for light duty only?

Budman231

Enlightened
LF3XT Belt Clip - Better Pics

what are these "top arms" on the Gerber clip that need to be cut off? does it hold tight to say a pants pocket lip with this clip or is it a softer bendable metal for light duty only?

Here is a pic of the clip with the arms at the top. Basically I cut off the metal parts extending up from the clip. This is a pic of the Infinity Ultra.

This is a very heavy duty clip and holds tightly to the light as it wraps around the light itself. Matter of fact is is the most heavy duty clip I have ever seen on a light ! Its stronger than the EX10 clip believe it or not. It snaps tight to the light and holds very nicely on a pocket.

Here's some better pix ... (if you click on each pic it will bring you to a lager version on Imageshack)

Bud

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is sounding better and better. I wonder if Gerber will sell just a clip? On the other hand I could have it today if I can come up with a need for an Ultra. That shouldn't be too hard.

Geoff

snakyjake

Enlightened
This is fantastic. I'm very relieved that a clip is possible and works well.

This also gives some good ideas to see if we can find other clips. Or maybe someone has the talent to make these?

Most places seem to sell a clip for $2-$5 (plus shipping). So the Gerber is like spending $15 on an extra spare light. At the least, the Gerber could make a good gift, or sold on eBay.

litetube

Enlightened
Thanx for the extra pics Budman. Can you say at this point if the light would tend to suffer from accidental activation when clipped to say jeans pockets? or is the button sufficiently recessed?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm wondering how tough it will be to get that clip in place without getting the special pliers. I'd hate to scuff up my precious if can help it. Since that clip is made for a AA light it's going to take some fairly serious spreading. Do you suppose it will be possible with very careful opening up with needle nosers?

Geoff

Budman231

Enlightened
I have been carrying it this way and so far no accidental activations. Of course as a common practice, I always set my lights to the lowest setting when in my pocket. That way even it it does go on I won't kill my battery or torch my leg. :)

As far as getting the clip on, I was able to slide one of these on the P2D before without the pliers. Since the LF3XT is wider I could not do it without either damage to the light of mt fingers. The spreader pliers work great and I figure are a good toolbox investment at $15.

You would struggle to open the clip up enough to slide it on without one. I tried a bunch of home brew methods (including needle nose) and all were no good. Can't pull it apart enough and keep it steady to slip it on. It is a very strong clip with thick metal.

Bud

Budman231

Enlightened
How easy is it to take the clip off?

Any serious scratches to the light when removing the clip?

I took it off and no scratches appeared. Only did it once... I wouldn't be sliding it on and off to often though.

Basically just slide it off. Takes a bit of muscle to do but it comes right off.

Bud

juplin

Enlightened
My friend in Taiwan gave me several off-the-shelf clips with different sizes and shapes. I finally install one type of clips in both LF3XT and LF5XT successfully.:crackup:
(Please press the photo to enlarge if you like.)

I use reverse pliers to install/remove the clip.

When you squeeze the handles of the reverse pliers, the jaws will open to expand the clip to prevent the coating from scratch during install/removal of the clip.

Take advantage of the recess of the cross lobe while the clip is installed/ removed with the reverse pliers. (I forgot to wipe the dust.:mecry:)

The nose of the reverse pliers will expand and hold the clip to prevent the coating from scratch. :grin2:

After the clip has been installed, unloading/loading of the battery will not be disturbed. :naughty:

Last edited: