Malkoff drop in and Focusing

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
Been reading a lot about mag-lite mods and have seen a few posts about having to turn the mag-lite head way more that usual to get a good beam. Anybody on here have this, if so is it with the OEM reflector that you have to cut yourself or one of the Malkoff brand?

Marduke

Flashaholic
You have to turn it more because you have to remove the cam on the bottom of the reflector. The cam is for quick focusing. Without it, focusing is done the same way the MiniMag is done.

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind turning the head a bit more, but i don't want the head hanging on by only 1 thread either

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Malkoff drop-in is one of a few maglite LED drop-ins with a heatsink. The heatsink prevents the reflector from fitting unless you cut off the cam or get a precut one.

The quixk focusing is done with the cam which moves the bulb. After it is cut off, the focusing is done with the threads moving the reflector and takes more turns to work.

:welcome:

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
Can you guess how much focusing is really needed to get a good tight beam? I can see how you need to move the head because the cam is gone from the OEM reflector. I thought i read in one of the threads that somebody with the drop-in felt like the head was about to come off when he had it adjusted properly. I am mostly looking for throw, if i want more of a flood, i would probably get an orange peel or stippled reflector

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector is held in place between the bezel ring and the body of the head
By screwing the head in or out, this will move the reflector backwards or
forwards, therefore allowing you to focus the beam.
Further focussing can be achieved by how deep or shallow you install the
dropin in the Mag.
Fred, trust me, you will not have any problems focussing the Malkoff for
more throw:)
I have two Malkoff Mags set up for throw, BTW use a smooth reflector
for maximum throw :devil:

I think maybe you are confusing the "unscrewing the head until it is about to fall off"
issue with Mags with aspheric lens installed

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
I forgot how you can set the drop in slightly further in or out which should help with focusing. Do you know if Malkoff has smooth as well as orange peel reflectors? For whatever reason, i want to be able to go back to stock configuration. I am probably going to get a "real glass" lens as well

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I looked the ones Malkoff sold are stock Mag reflectors
with the cam cut off.
It is a very easy job if you wanted to do it yourself. The Malkoff
site even tells you how to do it :naughty:
A OP reflector will give you a more floody beam. For a cheap one
try KD and while your there get a "UCL" lens as well :D
For a better quality reflector, you can buy one right here from
Fivemeg, he has a sales thread in the BST section.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought my first 2 Malkoff D-cell Mag drop-ins and I use the M2 camless LOP reflector with outstanding results. I am so pleased with this set up at this time that it is hard for me to sufficiently convey my satisfaction.

I had the Sandwich Shoppe enlarge the opening to .500 to accomodate the Malkoff.

If Malkoff ever came otu with a multi-level drop in, I would almost be in near big flashlight Nirvana.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked when I posted the link and their website showed 44 of them in the SMO variety and about the same number in the MOP variety:shrug:

SMO should be the smooth variety.