Another Malkoff Question

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

I'm looking to decide on my first Malkoff Light for EDC use. I've read nearly everything I can find on the specifics I'm about to mention, but think I might be misunderstanding certain terminology or naming schemes.

As it stands, I think I have narrowed down my choices to either a M61 HOT V2, or M61 SHO head. Going to go with the hi/low switch installed, as I've found myself desiring a lower setting when EDCing a modlite, for example. Also going with Malkoff specifically for the build quality, reputation, and regulated output. I have other lights with incredible output on turbo mode, but I'd like at least one that maintains the classic "what you see is what you get" output level throughout.

If I were to use either of the above heads on the MD2 body, running a single KeepPower 18650, does anyone have a recommendation for one over the other? It seems like the lumen output between the two is close, but the lux output of the M61 HOT V2 is significantly higher, yet has a lower draw than the SHO? This is where I feel like I am misunderstanding something, but can't quite figure out what that is.

The second part of my dilemma is I think I would much prefer the 18650 MDC body with the pocket clip built-in, but am I mistaken in my assumption that the 18650 MDC body is not compatible with either of the above heads?

I like the look of the Bodyguard, but the automatic step down does not appeal to me, at least not for this light specifically.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can -shed a little light- on my confusion.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly, you can fit the VME head on the MDC 18650, and that will accept the M61 SHO.

However that won't give you a high/low option.

For multi mode with the MDC 18650/VME head you'd need the M361 LMH drop-in.

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
If I recall correctly, you can fit the VME head on the MDC 18650, and that will accept the M61 SHO.

However that won't give you a high/low option.

For multi mode with the MDC 18650/VME head you'd need the M361 LMH drop-in.

Okay, thank you for the info and for taking the time to respond. Looks like I'll be sticking with the MD2 body then.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to decide on my first Malkoff Light for EDC use.

Just depends on what your hard-user needs are.
I can better assist you when I know how many hours out of 24 you're sending lumens down range.
Do you need the run-time of an 18650 and the output of a larger MD2 head?

No doubt the MDC is easier to EDC... order the battery tube size you prefer and this head:

I prefer the 14500 body size:

With some EDC items, I say carry the biggest you can...and others items, such as flashlights, I say to carry the smallest you can.

Either way you can't go wrong, so don't get too caught up in all the options.

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
Just depends on what your hard-user needs are.
I can better assist you when I know how many hours out of 24 you're sending lumens down range.
Do you need the run-time of an 18650 and the output of a larger MD2 head?

No doubt the MDC is easier to EDC... order the battery tube size you prefer and this head:

I prefer the 14500 body size:

With some EDC items, I say carry the biggest you can...and others items, such as flashlights, I say to carry the smallest you can.

Either way you can't go wrong, so don't get too caught up in all the options.
We might be on to something here! I have always preferred using rechargeables, 18650 is convenient because I have plenty of cells and chargers - I like the output of the MD2 heads, but that LMH head might just do the trick.

As far as use estimation, that's a tough one to quantify. It varies wildly from very little to quite a lot. I'm sure that's not particularly helpful, but I'll give it some more thought and try to come up with a better figure.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried every MDC body, the AA is my favorite paired with a 3 mode MDC li-ion head. Fits the hand perfectly. If you want high CRI excellent tint drop ins if you decide on the VME or MD series you can check these out at Illumn. They are Nichia 219b 4000k 95 CRI. Very nice. They have a 3 mode as well

Link here:
Illumn.com Malkoff

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
We might be on to something here! I have always preferred using rechargeables, 18650 is convenient because I have plenty of cells and chargers - I like the output of the MD2 heads, but that LMH head might just do the trick.

As far as use estimation, that's a tough one to quantify. It varies wildly from very little to quite a lot. I'm sure that's not particularly helpful, but I'll give it some more thought and try to come up with a better figure.

So, excluding VME options because the only reason you would get a VME is if you want a screwed pocket clip or a two mode head. M61 HOT will not fit into a VME head.

1696541402661.png

Honorable mention:
21700 body + M61 SHO Hi Low = $232.96
21700 body + M61 Hot Hi Low = $213.97

Attachments

• 1696541345679.png
    1696541345679.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
I've tried every MDC body, the AA is my favorite paired with a 3 mode MDC li-ion head. Fits the hand perfectly. If you want high CRI excellent tint drop ins if you decide on the VME or MD series you can check these out at Illumn. They are Nichia 219b 4000k 95 CRI. Very nice. They have a 3 mode as well

Link here:
Illumn.com Malkoff
Awesome thank you. I will certainly take a look.

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
So, excluding VME options because the only reason you would get a VME is if you want a screwed pocket clip or a two mode head. M61 HOT and quite possibly SHO will not fit into a VME head. I don't have a SHO so I can't verify.

View attachment 50169

Honorable mention:
21700 body + M61 SHO Hi Low = $232.96
21700 body + M61 Hot Hi Low =

Thank you! I'm going to do a deeper dive on some of these options also.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried every MDC body, the AA is my favorite paired with a 3 mode MDC li-ion head.

Pretty much perfection if you choose to pocket carry.
Larger lights may fill a specific need better, but for general all-purpose in the pocket just because hard-use.....the 14500 body with 3 mode MDC is the winner.

Now if you're going to holster a light like a stud, then sure get the larger light.
Wearing a kydex holster bezel down puts you in extreme-user category.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahaha yes. I tried carrying an MD2 daily and I just couldn't. I really enjoy the light and think it's fantastic, just not for me. I'd consider myself a light/medium user. I'm not quite hardcore enough for extreme user flashlight duties, but if I'm gonna holster a Malkoff, it'll be an MD3 or MD4. Go big or go home

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
I seem to be getting hung up on the voltage specifically.. the M61 HOT V2 says "The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive."

Newb question, I'm sure, but I'm assuming this means the voltage when fully charged? Obviously the keeppower 18650 are labeled with 3.7 nominal voltage, as most 18650s are.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
Hey Sleeves. Not sure if it helps but I'm currently edcing the m61sho on a MD21700 body and the m61hotv2 with the high lo switch, crenelated bezel, tri cap and a thyrm switchback trying to figure out which I like better. Performance wise they feel really similar. The hot is a little cooler of a light and it has a way brighter hotspot. If im shining them both at the ceiling in a dark room the HOTv2's cooler tint wins out. I could be imagining it, but the SHO also feels like it heats up faster and the beam edges are much harder while the hot fades softly. Also if you're going to do the cren bezel and tricap it's just about the same length as the md21700 with the flat bezel.
C393FAC2-6110-46A2-8EB2-3EED12A2AF0A.jpeg

Sho
076FE725-83EB-403D-9520-E1F2CF7FEF76.jpeg

Hotv2
551E6200-1A91-4737-A479-01AE806E80EC.jpeg

Those pics are in a room with the light on but it's just more exaggerated in the dark.

Not sure if any of that helps just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Best of luck!

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
Hey Sleeves. Not sure if it helps but I'm currently edcing the m61sho on a MD21700 body and the m61hotv2 with the high lo switch, crenelated bezel, tri cap and a thyrm switchback trying to figure out which I like better. Performance wise they feel really similar. The hot is a little cooler of a light and it has a way brighter hotspot. If im shining them both at the ceiling in a dark room the HOTv2's cooler tint wins out. I could be imagining it, but the SHO also feels like it heats up faster and the beam edges are much harder while the hot fades softly. Also if you're going to do the cren bezel and tricap it's just about the same length as the md21700 with the flat bezel. View attachment 50184
Sho
View attachment 50186
Hotv2
View attachment 50187

Those pics are in a room with the light on but it's just more exaggerated in the dark.

Not sure if any of that helps just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Best of luck!
Thank you man! I think i'm leaning toward the HOT V2.. Were you able to order it with the crenulated bezel? I saw the tri-cap option, but not the bezel on the order page.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx to all who have been providing such Malkoff golden goodness in the form of quality insight / expertise to all like me, who have the interest, but are lacking such knowledge - all in one thread. You're helping more besides the OP here, so good on y'a!l ;-)

I stumbled my way through my recent MD2 setup acquisition (which I'm pretty happy with), but am now armed with more good information for when I find more in the budget. I have a feeling in the future there might be a little more money going back to my old home state.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 21700 fenix deep pocket clips fit the Malkoff 21700 like it was made for it. I've got a post somewhere with it on.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SHO and HOT most likely share the exact same driver. The SHO is practically an M61 with the HOT driver. SHO has an orange peel reflector but a nice throwy SST-20. HOT has a TIR optic and will have "twice" the throw of the HOT based on double the candela — at least in a lab setting.

The heat felt with the SHO and HOT should be nearly the same as the drivers are the same and overall output are the same. Heat is unused energy that is not converted into light. Or Heat is from a battery over discharging.