Yet *another* light from Fenix?

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
So I get yet another Fenix email about a new flashlight. No doubt many of you got it too. This one is introducing the LD30R. Ok, l'll bite.

I'm checking out the specs and notice this disclaimer/note:

Please note that even though this product is

named after the LD30, they are very different

lights in size and performance.

ld30r-ld30-comparison.jpg
LD30 top LD30R bottom

WTF? This is like getting an email from a dealer touting the 2024 Corvette SE and finding a pic of a Chevy Malibu. So the LD30R does have some different and improved specs, enough I think to warrant a completely differnt model number, not just an appended one.

Fenix is getting to be like Olight in bringing out light after light with very few changes and in one or two lines, just garish graphics and "Special Editions".

I need an interactive spreadsheet, a program for each light, and a tour guide to wade through all of these lights. To it's credit Fenix offers a decent comparison mode that seems to compare spec for spec. Many sites have very poor comparison modes with missing metrics. Worse, some will list specs that don't truly give you information as to how their products actually differ.

</rant>

I've got a couple of Fenix lights, the latest being a TK20R V2 Esq SE. Or something like that. It's a nice light but not an EDC, so I've been looking for something to replace my Olight Warrior Mini or something like that. So every time I get the dreaded email that will either cost me or disappoint, I have to look. I guess I want a powerful, compact EDC but the reality is having to compromise on those metrics to get a light small enough to qualify as and EDC.

This has been somewhat cathartic. For a guy who's not a collector, I'm amassing too many lights in search of the Holy Grail of illumination. Realistically, I may have to compromise and look for a well appointed shot glass.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's not just lights it's most everything. Look at iPhones. Each year they come out with a new model and it's exactly like the old model but with a slight change.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I used to call them "flashion of the week" lights a few years back. Not just Fenix but other makers too. Each one brighter. But then the platuae hit and many stopped doing that.

Ahh, the lumen wars. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that getting a light with 1000 lumens was a big deal. Now just a short time later, 1k has been dwarfed. But I like it. It's exciting & fun to be living during a period of such rapid battery & LED technological development. I believe it would quickly advance to even brighter lights if new breakthroughs would come through for heat dissipation.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Literally just got the Older LD30 in the mail. Sweet light!
Very compact for an 18650. Love it! No desire to get the LD30R.
I've got a handful of Fenix models that size. No desire to add one more.
Original LD30 might be the overall best EDC 18650 LED light out there.
(If we're talking tactical light, I'd pick something else.)

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't buy a Fenix when I know about Convoy, Lumintop, Thrunite, Acebeam, Jetbeam, and the other 20 that are more than half the costs of Fenix. If I'm determined to spend that on a chinese light then I'll get a Zebralight.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I like the fenix lights I have bought, but considering they mostly use butt ugly green or blue tinted emitters it's hard for me to buy any new offerings.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone somewhere in the world is taking a look at that light and loves everything about it. While I prefer longer lights shorter ones are better because more holsters to fit them are available.

We need to encourage more designs not less. Imagine if MagLite did more of the same or Surefire or Streamlight had just a few basic designs.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a "standard" light (= normal Single Emitter Power) I will never unterstand how anyone, especially when reading in a lights forum, can purchase a ready made (= in no way moddable/upgradeable) light, that gets "obsolete" when a newer / slightly changed model comes out.
? ?
--> Think flashlight host, one that fits ones "needs" :) and p60 insert, from time to time upgraded

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For a "standard" light (= normal Single Emitter Power) I will never unterstand how anyone, especially when reading in a lights forum, can purchase a ready made (= in no way moddable/upgradeable) light, that gets "obsolete" when a newer / slightly changed model comes out.
? ?
--> Think flashlight host, one that fits ones "needs" :) and p60 insert, from time to time upgraded
If one can push the on button and light comes out it's not obsolete in my view. Behind the times? Sure, but so is my 1995 made pickup truck and 1950 made house.

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this Fenix E25 since it came out around 10 years ago. It's 2xAA. 3 mode. Throwy. Battery tube diameter is small and sometimes certain AA will get stuck. Press and hold for on/off. I recently did some maintenance on it since it was lost in a pile of tools for years. Still works
IMG_9730.jpeg

Would I buy another? Probably not