Deerelight DBS V3 - Advice needed

druidmars

Enlightened
Hello fellow flashaholics,

I have been keeping the DBS in my radar for a while and now there's even the V3. I don't have much interest on the new MC-E, rather on the R2, since I want a thrower. So far so good. However, I see that in the dereelight website there are two kinds of R2 mentioned:

WH R2 and WC R2. The explanation provided is that WH is warmer than WC. So now three questions:
1- which would be better to use in the woods? (since it would be its primary purpose)
2- is there any chance of a few of you good souls show me some pics of both?
3- distancewise, how far is the torch lighting?

Thanks for your patience!

ergotelis

Enlightened
Get the WH.
When i bought the Dereelight R2 WH, i was a bit dissapointed, i wanted whter tint. But when i took it for the outdoor usage against the WC's i saw that it was much better. Everything was lighten up better. Cool white is not that good for long distance shots for me finally. WH illuminates much better. Now i have 2 custom dereelight pills, one with WC and the other with WH. I prefer the WH for DBS and WC for another flashlight with P60 drop in.

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
Can someone who has both please throw the 5A tint into this equation? Naturally better than WC outdoors, but how about compared to the still-R2 WH?

jenskh

Enlightened
I have WH R2, WC Q5 and A5 Q2. I like the A5 tint most, but the light output is so far less that I do not use it in my DBS where I want max throw. I use the A5 pill in my CL1H for more close range illumination, and use the WH pill in my DBS. I by far prefers the WH tint to the WC tint.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I have three pills for mine and one MC-E. I love the WH but mine seems warmer than other people are reporting. It actually looks slightly yellow when next to the WC. I love it outdoors as it shows up colours brilliantly and especially reds.

Greg G

Enlightened
WH hands down outdoors. I have a DBS V3 with an R2 WH, and a separate pill that I installed in an L5. Both are great. I installed a Q3-5A emitter into one of my single 18650 lights last week, and while it is good, it's a little too warm for me at this point in the curve, and I prefer the WH better.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have been keeping my eye on a DBS V3 and prefer a warmer tint. Recently got a warm Quark that appears to have a tint like a 5B and possibly a very little toward the WH side comparing with the beam shots on FlashlightConnection.com. Prefer a single output light so my only option appears to be the 5A which I'm thinking may be too warm :confused:.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight has a Q4 5B pill now, but the output will be slightly less than the R2 WH. I haven't had a chance to compare LUX readings between my DBS R2 WH, and my DBS with the Q4 5B pill installed, but I've heard from some people who like their DBS with the 5B/5A tint.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
I have a DBS V3 with an R2 WH and the MC-E.

The R2 WH is absolutely great for outdoor use. The color rendition is very accurate.

clintb

Enlightened
You saying no need for 5B or A?
I have the R2 WH from way back when it was a limited time thing. Initially, I thought it was too yellow, but once you get outside, it really works its magic. I also have the Q3 5A, and R2 WC. The 5A; too darned warm. If the warm tint was more like the LiteFlux LF2XT, that would be perfect. R2 WC is less about color rendition and more about maximal blinding light.

So, out of the three (WH, WC & 5A), I prefer the WH for outdoor use.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Slightly off topic, but I REALLY like the extension tube to allow 2x18650 batteries. Long runtimes and I think the light looks much better and more balanced with the additional length.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Dereelight has a new extension tube for 18500s. Its shorter and not as unwieldy, but still has the good runtimes. Also, with this setup, you can run the MCE pill too. BTW, the Q3/4 pills are a little warm, but with an OP reflector, they really make objects outdoors extremely visible. Not as much total light, just easier on the eyes and therefore "clearer", so to speak. Reminds me my old Streamlight incan stinger, but with tons more output.

Still, Its hard not to love the slightly warmer tint of the MCE compared to the R2s. With a 3 mode pill, medium is just right for 90% of the time (with huge runtimes) and high is great to have when you need the 500 lumens.

pobox1475

Enlightened
^ Man you guys got me thinking way too much now :eek:oo:. I just got home from a bike ride and now wonder if a DBS has a handle bar mount that I can use. Together with the tint decision I feel overwhelmed. I'm thinking that a WH will suffice for my outdoor needs. Ideally I don't need a extreme thrower and good spill will be a plus. I can't ride fast enough to excede the beam :laughing: ...

I guess my ideal light would be DBS V3 (single v.s. 3 stage output debatable) with OP reflector, WH or 5B tint and configured to run off 18650's only.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man you guys got me thinking way too much now :eek:oo:. I just got home from a bike ride and now wonder if a DBS has a handle bar mount that I can use

This one works very well :) http://flashlightconnection.com/Mounts-Containers-etc-/EZ-Bike-Mount-for-Flashlights-p126.html

As far as tint goes, both the WH and 5A or 5B provide great color rendition outdoors... kind of comes down to personal preference. Our stock of the 5B's and WH's is getting thin. Dereelight ran out of the 5B Q4's a while ago, but I'm pretty sure they sourced some 5A Q4's... I'll have to check with them. They also have the WG tint now, perfect for those who aren't sure to go with a WC (cool) or WH (slightly warm). The WG is in between the two. :D

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ That is nice. Is it possible to get a WH DBS with single output that uses 18650 only with an OP reflector?

Yep, that would be the 1S R2 WH version. It has a smooth reflector installed, you would have to order the OP reflector on the side. Here's the link for the light: Click Here

The OP reflector is in the Dereelight Parts and Accessories section.