Nitecore D20 Q

Superdave

Enlightened
We've been doing some runtime tests on some lights at work, also monitoring temps with a Fluke IR thermometer. I noticed tonight that unlike all the other lights my D20 didn't really heat up. Startup temp was 76F and after 10 minutes it only got to 89F. The tint did start to change after 5 minutes indicating a lack of good heatsinking.

Any thoughts on this?

We tested a SF L4, after 10 minutes it got to 127F, and my MCE 6P got to 112F after 5 minutes. :)

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
We've been doing some runtime tests on some lights at work, also monitoring temps...

Any thoughts on this?

hmmm... I'd say that heat dissipation took a backseat to curb appeal and "features" in the overall design. You've got to have your priorities! :laughing:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might not be good. Where did you meter? The side of the head or did you try to point it right through the front? If the body is not properly sinking the heat that's bad. If the heat is being dissipated though no problem. My IR meter seems to be able to get an accurate reading right through the lens on most lights, which I would think would be close to the actual die/pill temperature.

Since you said you saw a tint change, that's not good but if it was just that associated with the normal rapid temp rise at start, then no big deal. If it continues to change that would be a sign, and metering through the lens I would think would spot the temp rise even if metering the side of the head did not.

Last edited:

Superdave

Enlightened
we metered all the lights on the side of the head. I'll try again on the front when i get a chance..

I really like the D20 but it's not quite what I expected. I guess the newness has worn off a bit. I might put it up FS in the marketplace soon. It's only a few weeks old. :)