BB400 Q3L vs. MM Plus Q3 your pick?

Joeyv8

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if this belongs to this thread or the mod one.
If I'm wrong, pls move.

I just follow the thread about new MM design (MM Plus Q3) that supposes to be brighter than old MM.
Regardless of MM Plus Q3L since it has yet to be released.
The BB400 Q3L is also still the king.
So my question is "Will the MM Plus Q3 outshine BB400 Q3L?"
What's the light quality can we expect from MM Plus with Q3?

What would you pick?

For me, well....I'll just follow the tradition of CPF by getting both since they are both pieces of art IMHO.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Well, actually the older version of the MM starts out MUCH brighter than the BB 400 anyway, so the MM+ will be truely amazing! Somewhere around 800mA IIRC. The difference is that one is voltage regulated(MM), the other is current regulated(BB). So they're both kings in their own right. Even though the MM isn't current regulated, the runtime curve still isn't all that bad, slight dimming over the high brightness portion of the curve, just not quite as flat as the BB. See the reviews forums or here for runtime plots of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's any doubt the MM+ is going to be the brightest, even ahead of the Q3L BB400... We shall find out soon...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Joeyv8

Newly Enlightened
Guess the MM Plus Q3L coming out late June will also be on my shop list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone knows how Q3 compares to Q3L ? a big dif'?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L refers to the voltage needed to light up the LED (forward voltage)... There's no direct relationship between it and say, brightness or color... But when you talk voltage and current increase/decrease, the higher or lower you are from Vf, the more the LS is usually brighter/dimmer (someone might need to check me on that)...