lighting up prison cells

donnylast

Newly Enlightened
I'm buying my first decent flashlight.http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060 I learned about this torch on this forum. This light takes a 1x3.7v 18650 rechargable battery that I assume does not come with the light. I like the idea of a rechargable lithium battery,because to tell you the truth,I hate buying batteries. These batteries cost about 10$ and the charger about 23$. I guess this will lead me to buying more flashlights that take this style of battery. I have had second thoughts about this torch being too bright,because I'm using it to shine in prison cells. I'm basically on suicide watch,and I don't want to wake up an unstable inmate,but I need to see inside the cell to make sure they are alive. We are issued old style Mag, and Mini-Mag lights but they are substandard. Some cells have a small, tight woven mesh window that is a impossible to get a beam into.I'm looking for some advice on my choice,or some feedback on another light that will help me look out for my inmates.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it that the cell walls are possibly painted white? a high powered light is going to reflect right back at you! personally I'd be opting for something with variable output levels to better let you tailor it to your specific needs :thumbsup:

Think outside of the square... if you can't get a beam into the cell through the screen, shine a high output light under the door (and light up the room), HID perhaps? :devil:
BTW nice choice of form factor (18650)! :D

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Hello Donnylast and welcome to CPF! :welcome:
If it were me (thereby granting myself permission to spend like h*ll) I'd opt for nightvision ($$$) goggles or a monocular unit. Otherwise, it's "back to basics" (and reality), wherein a much more reasonable choice for your application would be a SureFire of the appropriate output that meets your operational criteria.
  • Download SureFire's Flashlight Comparison/Specifications Chart here (.pdf)
The SureFire E2L_Outdoorsman appears :D to have the characteristics you're seeking (3 lumens LOW / 60 lumens HIGH).

Wishing you the very best with the make/model you ultimately choose.

Cheers!

-Clive

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Sorting through my light collection to meet your needs, I'd pick either a Jetbeam II or a Nitecore D10, EX10, or D20.
All of these have variable intensity and easy to operate user interfaces.
The Jetbeam lets you program the intensity for three preset levels and it always comes on at the same level. I have my first level set to low so I don't wake up my wife when I make a midnight run:D
The Nitecores do have mode memory, but it's not implemented very well. However, they are only two quick taps from low or high, and you can easily ramp them up or down; you are not limited to three presets like the Jetbeam.
The Eagletac lights are very nice, two-level lights, but their low level is still pretty bright.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It sounds to me like a light with a spot type beam would be most effective. Flood would not be so important, nor would a great deal of power. I'd be looking for one with an optic that delivers more of a "moon beam". I think Target (if you're in the States) has some models that perform like this for a very reasonable price (~$20).

Geoff

corrections operator

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you need a multi-stage light, something with a low around 30 lumens or lower...

Have you tried ceiling bouncing the light? That has worked well for me when I've done cell checks at o'dark thirty. Also have you tried using a blue or red filter? I've used both and they seem to work well.

djblank87

Enlightened
The reality here is that any light on low could wake someone up when its shinned in ones face. I wouldn't jeopardize my safety, the safety of the inmate and the safety of the other staff members by worrying about a flashlight waking up a psych patient, yes you have to respect them but you do not have to risk you're safety, get a Fenix TK10, TK11, 6P with Malkoff M60F or M60.

Better to be sure that the inmate isn't up to something than to wish after the fact that you should have light up the room better.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I definitely would not go with a DX light for prison night watch duty; if you're enjoying the 18650 format, you should look into some of the trusted-name-brand recommended lights above, which are far more robust and reliable.

donnylast

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great links and suggestions. These cells with the mesh windows are a real pain. There are nightlights {count lights] but those wake a guy up worse than the torch. I would love to use a night vision device, but bringing our on flashlights into the institution is bending the rules as it is, and those things are expensive as h3ll.I'll make my purchase, and post my results. Thanks.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jakks EyeClops NVG for $67 after tax at Target?

If you're still fond of 18650s, you might consider the Ra Twisty with battery extender tube. Very low 'low' setting (maybe you want the night-vision-red one?) and the things are built like an Abrams - it'll probably outlive you, if you don't lose it.