ARC or LD01 SS??

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
ARC AAA v LD01 SS
I will be getting one of these two lights very soon.
My decision I think is mainly resting on the durability of the LD01 SS.
I want to feel like I can do anything to this light. I want to not baby it at all, and not worry.
LD01 being stainless.. How tough is it? I can;t really find a definitive answer anywhere.

In short.
Whats the most outrageous torture you'd be comfortable to put
a. LD01 SS though
b. ARC AAA through.

Comments from people that own both would be awesome. When I know the sturdiness of the Fenix I'll have to weight it against the many extra lumens, but that's for later.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that the LD01 SS is only a couple of months old so it lacks long term history.

The Arc AAA-P has a longer history (years).

There is also a significant weight difference, though that may not matter to you if you do not carry other EDC gear.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both-

the arc would be tougher because i lacks a glass window.

other than that, its a toss up.
the SS appears thicker but it would be hard to hurt the arc body regardless.
but are o-ringed.

the arc is much smaller.
the SS is much brighter and more flexible.

buy both. you'll use them both.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the LD01 SS will put out way more light, has a whiter light (not sure which Arc you are looking at, Arc GS?), and has multiple levels. For me if I had to choose between my Arc GS and LD01 SS, the Arc GS would have to go. I wouldn't think twice.

The LD01 SS seems plenty durable. Shouldn't SS be tougher than aluminum?

The LD01 SS will be heavier than an ARC. For it's size, it has some weight, but I actually like that, because it feels solid.

I'm not sure which is actually more durable, but I think the only significant factors between the two is size and weight. So if size and weight isn't an issue, I'd go with the LD01 SS.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC AAA v LD01 SS
LD01 being stainless.. How tough is it? I can;t really find a definitive answer anywhere.

The LD01 SS is a very rugged light that I'm sure will last a life time. I cannot picture anything under normal use that could cause it to fail.

What does the g stand for?

god
gum
Kenny g
a grand
gerry
girlfriend

Inquiring minds want to know.

Welcome to CPF

Bill

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've EDC'd the Arc AAA since 2003 and still love it, but...

The Arc really isn't THAT much smaller and the body won't be as rugged as the thicker SS of the Fenix. Do you anticipate abusing or, possibly, crushing the light? The Arc will be lighter, if a few grams matter.

The Fenix has more run time on low, is more efficient, and has far more brightness if needed. The electronic reliability is probably a wash.

Over all, IMHO, the Fenix is a better value, but that's not the sole reason many of us choose our lights. Me? I like them both for different reasons.

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
The Arc AAA-P has a longer history (years).

There is also a significant weight difference, though that may not matter to you if you do not carry other EDC gear.

Good point on the history. I'm sure most people would be acquainted with their LD01 SS though :D

I do carry other edc gear, but not that much, and regardless, I doubt the weight should bother me.

the arc would be tougher because i lacks a glass window.
Thats a good point too.
buy both. you'll use them both.
Absolutely, someday.
I can't afford them both now though.

What does the g stand for?
This name has been long since abandoned actually.
But the great thing is, It can and does mean anything :nana:

The LD01 SS is a very rugged light that I'm sure will last a life time. I cannot picture anything under normal use that could cause it to fail.
I think that small statement right there just pushed me over the edge.
It seems like the LD01 SS is pretty dang tough, I'm sure it will do great for my needs.
I wanted a light that feels solid and IS solid. I'm pretty convinced both of these offer that. When lumens and efficiency come into it LD01 wins.
I'll get the LD01 SS
:D

Thanks for the quick and informative replies guys.

<3 CPF

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some pics? Here's an ARC DS and ARC GS with the LD01 SS and a blue E01:

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
GORGEOUS pictures WadeF

I see there's a reasonable size difference their.
The LD01 could be on my keyring, or in a back pocket, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Weight will make me love it more, I'm positive.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix LD01 SS is much better value for money.

The Arc is a classic (and cooler than a Fenix:cool:) but is a good bit of money especially considering that the E01 is comparible - if not better in ways, and a lot cheaper too.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix LD01 SS is much better value for money.

The Arc is a classic (and cooler than a Fenix:cool:) but is a good bit of money especially considering that the E01 is comparible - if not better in ways, and a lot cheaper too.

+1 to that. I like th E01 compared to the Arc in some ways (if for nothing more than the sheer value), and I'd take the LD01SS 1000x over the E01... so by transitive properties...
:devil:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Fenix. A lot of good arguments can be made for the Arc. But the sturdy Fenix LOD is pure flashaholic fun as well, imo.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to that. I like th E01 compared to the Arc in some ways (if for nothing more than the sheer value), and I'd take the LD01SS 1000x over the E01... so by transitive properties...
:devil:
Hehe. He should just buy both (EO1 + LD01 SS) and be done with it.
I carry both at present for the best of both worlds! :candle:
str.gif

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LD01 SS and love everything about it - I think you would appreciate it as more than a tiny backup. Since the model is only a few months old it doesn't have the arc's history of durability, but the previous Fenix model, the L0D, was known to be very reliable.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for both. Really love the LD01SS on my keyring, but feel naked and go nowhere without an ARC in my pocket (it's so light you don't even know it's there). Seriously, they fill entirely different roles. The ARC is truly an "every minute carry" light - incredibly lightweight, especially with Lithiums - and perfectly suited to most low lumen needs. The ARC's durability and reliability is legendary, to say the least. The LD01SS, on the other hand, is a good temporary fill-in for a missing auto headlight (with 10440's this is no joke!). But there's a price to be paid for high, show-off, lumens: first, it's far heavier, and second, even on low with an alkaline, the LD01SS is too bright for some uses.