DEREELIGHT CL1H V4 (3SD R2 WC) REVIEW

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
OK, folks,

Here is my initial observation of my new Dereelight CL1H V4 w/3SD R2 WC bin. But once again, I need to emphasize that these are just MY OPINIONS…so please, be gentle with me!

In the first picture below, you will see how the light was delivered to me. It came in a cool little box that had magnetic contacts to keep it closed. (Cool touch)! It also came with simple instructions (a single sheet folded in half), an extra SMO reflector (a smooth reflector) to take advantage of it's throwing capabilities, and a bunch of different-sized "O" rings. I wanted to have the colder, crispy-blue light that makes for a great thrower…so I ordered the fantabulous WC bin. (Whereas the WH bin has a more neutral white light). As soon as the light arrived, the SMO reflector was the first thing that was installed…even before the battery.

b180275144.jpg

I absolutely loved the build quality of this light, as well as the black finish. (The finish on this light reminds me of the finish on Surefire lights, which I think is exceptional). I would know more about it's metal and finish if I were to engrave my name on it…but more on that later. It also came with an attached metal clip. The clip seemed pretty heavy duty, and it took a lot of effort to lift it off the body of the light. (I liked that). If I were to use the clip, this is the quality I would expect in a clip.

b180275145.jpg

b180275146.jpg

If you look at the above pictures, you would see that the shape of the light is awesome. I loved the size and feel of the light. I especially noticed the "melted features" of the light. (It had no sharp or rough spots). Great attention to detail! The head was also nicely shaped. It was rounded, and had a slight upside-down "V" shape. This was great, as I carry my lights head down in their holsters, and it ensured that it would not get caught in the lip of nylon holsters. (Whereas the "blocked head" of my Fenix TK11 will sometimes snag. But this will be remedied shortly, as I am building a custom leather holster).

Another important aspect of this light was that the button on the tail cap was NOT recessed below the metal surface. This was very important to me, as I use the light in a modified cigar grip when used in conjunction with my pistols. And when in the modified cigar grip is being employed, the knuckle on the back of my firing-hand finger depresses the button on the tail cap. If the button was recessed below the metal tail cap, I would not be able to use it.

Below are two more pictures for you to see the switch button. The light came with a fluorescent switch, and also with a black one. Notice also that the tail cap does NOT have any crenelations. Kudos…as they are not really needed. Also notice that the metal part of the tail cap is a cool "bowl shape". I like that as well. Nice, clean, features.

b180275147.jpg

b180275155.jpg

Now look at the below pictures. This is my light collection – the Olight M20 Warrior, Dereelight CL1H V4, Fenix TK11, and the simple but priceless, Surefire P6. (Not too many lights, but all useful…and purchased with a specific purpose in mind). Take special note of the heads on the Dereelight and the Fenix TK11. Do you see the difference? The Fenix TK11 has a square, blocked, head which sometimes catches on the nylon holster when being removed. Whereas the Dereelight has a very smooth and melted "V-shaped" head, and will NOT catch on anything.

b180275516.jpg

b180275166.jpg

Now look at the tail caps of the "Four Companeros". See how the Dereelight and the Olight M20 Warrior both have a "bowl-shaped" metal tail cap. I like that.
b180275163.jpg

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the light beam. It was awesome!!!

I put it side by side with my Fenix TK11 (which is my EDC light, and a monster thrower), and they were very close. The light of the CL1H V4 (with the WC bin and the SMO reflector) was exactly what I was looking for. The Fenix TK11 threw better…but it was close.

OK, now for the negatives…

Tummm, tummm, tummmmmmmmmmmmm. *Drum roll, please*

The biggest MISTAKE (that's right…MISTAKE) that Dereelight made, was making the user interface operable from the switch button on the tail cap.

What the heck were they thinking?!

To cycle through the different modes, you momentarily "half depress" the switch button on the tail cap to make the adjustments. Once you find the mode (brightness) you want, you can either hold the button for one second, or you can fully depress the button until it CLICKS to the permanent "On" position. The last light mode will now be memorized.

But think about it…TACTICAL LIGHTS are almost always used with a momentary ON switch. You "half click it" to the ON position for a second, scan the area, then let it go. (Which turns OFF the light). But if you were to do that with this light, you would be cycling through all it's modes.

Blah!

Horrible!

On top of that, I was initially going to purchase the JetBEAM MIII. But someone mentioned that if I disliked a "hard to press" switch button, that I would hate the JetBEAM MIII. So I didn't buy it. But now the Dereelight came with a brutally hard button to press.

So to end, I was totally turned-off by the funky, hard to press, switch button. And the straw that broke the camels back (the super big one) was the fact that half depressing the switch button would cycle the flashlight through all of it's light modes…instead of staying ON in the last remembered light mode/brightness.

Bummer!

I was really looking forward to this light. Especially since Jay (FlashCrazy) was kind enough to keep in constant communication with me, and ordered me the 3SD R2 WC bin (crispy, white light) that I wanted.

So to end, the light is getting returned. But I will be using the refunded monies to purchase something that I want, with the attributes that I am looking for in a tactical light.

If you wat to see a funny video, click on the following link to see my review on YouTube. (YOU TUBE REVIEW). It was the very first video I have EVER posted on YouTubE, so please...don't laugh.

Thanks for your ears, folks.

In Christ: Raymond

primox1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing!
Good write-up and pictures :thumbsup:

What if you get 1S instead of the 3SD pill...then you dont have to worry about the levels changing on you.

Last edited:

Pabs D

Newly Enlightened
Nice youtube review, man. Agreed, you need a 1sm-2 or 1S for your needs.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I agree with the switch, it is annoying me but i like the light enough to keep it. The switch gets easier after a few days use. I have another pill on order.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmmm...

I've been meditating on it more and more, and I really do love the feel of this light. But there's NO WAY I'm gonna keep that funky UI-controlling button switch function!

But you guys did bring up some VERY GOOD POINTS!

The first is that I could get the 1S, or the 1SM-2 pill. But if I do go this route, I have a few things I need to figure out:

From what I see, the difference between the "1S" and the "1SM-2" pill, is that the "1S" will only let you use 18650/17670 batteries only. And the "1SM-2" will let you take 2 x Cr123 or 2 x RCR123, single 18650/17670, or 2 x 18650, 4 x CR123, 4 x RCR123 when using the optional extension tube.

So the difference between the above two choices are the battery options you have.

And the second point: the "1S" = 1.2A emitter drive current, whereas the "1SM-2" = 1.0A emitter drive current.

So here are my questions...

1) I am strictly using 18650 batteries. So which one will give me the brightest light output?

2) What is this "emmiter drive current"? If I am understanding correctly, will the "S1" choice give me more power due to the higher emitter current?

3) If the "1S" module is brighter, can I swap out the module...or do I need to return the light and get another one with that specific set-up? (Cuz I REALLY, REALLY, like the R2 WC bin that Jay got me)!

And lastly, if the above is possible (being able to swap out, or exchange the light, for a single mode module), also hearing that the switch button will "lighten-up" is a huge factor in my considering to keep the light. I really disliked having to press the button with noticeable force to click it to the "ON" position. But if I know that it will eventually get easier with time, then I can live with that...especially sinceI really love the feel and shape of the light.

In all honesty, I have been looking around at comparitively priced tactical lights (Wolf's Eyes, Regalight, Night Core, etc...), and I haven't found anything that caught my attention like this light did. And if yoo are going to mention EagleTac or JetBEAM...fogitabowdit! I absolutely hated the design of the EagleTac T10L (see my other review), and the JetBeam was definitely not to my liking. (Those recessed button switches [tailstanding function?] on the tailcaps were not to my liking at all).

Anyhoo...I guess I have a little thinking to do before I make my final decision. I would like to keep the light if possible. But it would need to have a single light mode, it would need to have the R2 WC bin, and I would need to know that the button would loosen-up after a while.

Hmmmmm...but that light sure was sweet, huh? :twothumbs

Guess I gotta get in contact with Jay a little later to see what we can do.

Thanks again for your ears (and responses), folks.

jenskh

Enlightened
I think also the SM modules gives 1.2 A to the emitter now, but I think they will quickly fall out of regulation with a 18650 battery, so the 1S is the best for this battery. It is no problem to switch only the pill, but you will have to agree with the dealer how to handle this. Good luck.

PS. I have the V3 of this light with a soft push button, and I am not so tactical that the 3SD module makes any problem for me.

electric sheep

Enlightened
The switch will moment on with gentle pressure against knuckle if used with sidearm and is now lighter in general after only about a week. I thought all pills where now 1.2a? I have the extension tube but cannot use it with the digital pill and need the pill on order, then i can use all options. I like you only use one 18650's but when my SM pill arrives i can use two or RC123's ect.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Woo-Hoo!

Good news.

I got in contact with Jay, and he's sending me the "S1 R2 WC" pill (cool tint) to work with the 18650 batteries I use. The "S1 R2 WC" pill is regulated with the 18650 battery, so it will be my best bet. (Steady, regulated output, with only one single light mode - bright).

When I receive it, I will send back the "3SD R2 WC" pill I currently have. (Good riddance).

Wow...Jay be "Dee Man"! Great customer service, quick responses, and very honst in his personal communication with me.

OK, I guess I'll do a follow-up review when the new bin comes in. (If anyone really cares).

Thanks again, folks.

PS: What is the burn time on this light with a new set of 18650's in place? (Burn time, and lumens).

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo-Hoo!

Good news.

I got in contact with Jay, and he's sending me the "S1 R2 WC" pill (cool tint) to work with the 18650 batteries I use. The "S1 R2 WC" pill is regulated with the 18650 battery, so it will be my best bet. (Steady, regulated output, with only one single light mode - bright).

When I receive it, I will send back the "3SD R2 WC" pill I currently have. (Good riddance).

Wow...Jay be "Dee Man"! Great customer service, quick responses, and very honst in his personal communication with me.

OK, I guess I'll do a follow-up review when the new bin comes in. (If anyone really cares).

Thanks again, folks.

PS: What is the burn time on this light with a new set of 18650's in place? (Burn time, and lumens).

I had exactly the same experience as you, but with a DBS :). Bought the 3SD R2, hated the UI, and was very pleased with Flash Crazy's service in helping me to swap it for a 1S R2. I would have suggested doing what you've already done if I read this earlier :)

Runtime should be about an hour and a half with perfect regulation. I haven't seen runtimes on the current 1.2A multipower circuitry, but I highly doubt their multipower circuit would be as efficient with 18650s as their 18650-only circuit. As for lumens... exactly the same as the pill you just sent back. (If I guess a number, either way somebody's going to shoot me :eek:)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found after you use the 3SD pill for awhile it becomes second nature to quickly step through the modes. I can literally switch between low, medium, and high in a flash.

It's kind of silly to bash the CL1H because you don't like the operation of the 3SD when there are two different 1 stage pills to meet your needs. :) That's what makes these light so great, it's a modular system.

gilly

Enlightened
I found after you use the 3SD pill for awhile it becomes second nature to quickly step through the modes. I can literally switch between low, medium, and high in a flash.

It's kind of silly to bash the CL1H because you don't like the operation of the 3SD when there are two different 1 stage pills to meet your needs. :) That's what makes these light so great, it's a modular system.

A BIG +1 on that.

The CL1H is a darn good light, and the modularity of it is unparalleled amongst all the lights out there right now!

Winx

Newly Enlightened

I also agree.

I like the way 3SD works. Suits me fine.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, Folks...

I didn't mean to offend anyone, nor to bash their decision to select the 3SD R2 bin!! *I repent in sack cloth and ashes*

Those were just my PERSONAL observations, based on the way "I" would be using the light. The SD3 R2 bin was not meant for tactical purposes, as much as it was for a general purpose light. I guess I was basing my initial observation on it's shortfalls for tactical usage, and not by it's intended usage - every day carry. It was unfairly judged.

My bad!!

If I step back and look OUTSIDE of a tactical environment, I can absolutely see the advantages of the SD3 R2 bin for every day carry.

And I also wanted to thank everyone for jumping-in and "edu-ma-cating" me on the availability of the "1S R2 WC" cool tint bin. I guess Dereelight has all it's corners covered.

Like I mentioned in my above post, I have decided to keep the light. Especially since I really fell in love with it's ergonomics, with it's solid construction, with it's awesome throw, and with it's cool white R2 WC bin.

I'm really looking foreward to the lights new function. Jay sent me an email letting me know the S1 R2 WC bin is on it's way. (I got his last R2 WC bin). He' he' he'.

Thanks again, folks.

And once again, I need to reiterate...this is a great, constructive, and disciplined forum.

Last edited:

xpea

Newly Enlightened
Raymond,

thx for your honest review and your feeling about the light. I also own a CL1H V4 3SD Q5 WC and personally I LOVE the switch, one of the best I've seen on any flashlight. The pressure to activate it is fine for me (especially with gloves) and it seems durable like hell ! Trust me, so many flimsy switches passed on me in the past with other lights that I know the ones unreliable, and the new Dereelight one is a keeper ! Of course, at the end it's a question of taste, but I'm sure you will be used to it quickly and maybe, like me, you will finish to find the other switches flimsy...

For the runtime, I reach 1 hour 44 (50% brightness) fully flat regulated (only last minute drops quickly in intensity) on my 3SD on high with one Samsung 2800mah. Pretty nice with the amount generated by the C1H on high :rock:

and the UI... well maybe it's not the best out there but it's a forward clicky so you cannot expect the same operation than with a reverse clicky. One good example to follow is a UI like the new DarkTort or even best like the Surefire Optimus. Not sure if Alan can do it but the Dereelight modularity (and it proved in the past it's not only marketing words) and attitude towards market demands make me confident on better solution in the future.

Finally, I highly encourage you to keep the light a little more to catch his spirit. Good things always take time to appreciate :)

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Oh my gosh!

Jay contacted me yesterday (Thursday), that the new "1S WC R2" bin was on it's way to me. And when I got home today (Friday), the bin was waiting for me on my doorstep!

Wow, talk about Warp-12 service.

Anyhoo, the parts were immediately swapped-out...and what a difference a pill makes!

The new 1S WC R2 bin is super nice. It is a ONE MODE light - always on it's highest setting. I absolutely love the fact that the momentary "ON" function stays on it's highest setting, and it will also remain on it's highest setting when clicked ON. It now works PERFECTLY with a modified cigar grip.

The switch button on the tailcap is still a tad tough to depress (see my YouTube review on the first post), but I will give it a little time to "soften-up and relax". And if it doesn't, that's OK, as I have another trick up my sleeve. More on that later...if it doesn't "soften-up".

Let me say that I think I received an exceptional WC bin. (Cuz you never know with different bins. One may vary from the next). The light is super cool white, it is a monster thrower with the SMO (smooth) reflector, and the center "hot spot" is much cleaner than my Fenix TK11.

I actually took them both outside a few moments ago, and I could BARELY tell the difference between the two - throw-wise. But when pointed at nearby objects (30 to 50 feet away), the Dereelight CLIH V4 is much cleaner and smoother. It has less "Cree Rings" than the Fenix TK11.

For the money (in my opinion), the Fenix TK11 is a fantastic value. I can find them on eBay for $60.00, shipped to my door. (I purchased 4 of them this Christmas season as give-away gifts for friends). But for a QUALITY, better-fitting, more ergonomic, smoother, tactical light...hand's down, it's the Dereelight CL1H V4. (With the "1S WC R2" bin).

If I'm not too lazy, and if my shooting plans for my "mountain weekend" don't go through, I will post a quick YouTube review.

Thanks again, Jay. (FlashCrazy)

Last edited:

xpea

Newly Enlightened
Very happy you like your new pill :thumbsup:
You have experienced one of the biggest Dereelight advantage : the proven modularity concept. With it, everybody can find the light they like :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This topic keeps reminding me of my in transit (hopefully) Dereelight order. Getting a 2nd CL1H V4 with extension tube, the new MC-E 2.4A pill and CL1H D26 reflector for it, a 4SD RU R2 WH pill for my C2H, and an extra CL1H OP reflector. I'm going to have to lay out all my Dereelight stuff and take a picture, lol.

primox1

Newly Enlightened
Raymondmillbrae...you've gotten me very interested in the cl1h now with all your positive comments on it. Seems like an awesome light, from an honest company and great dealer. Glad you are enjoying the new pill! :thumbsup:

jonathank

Newly Enlightened
Reading this thread has gotten me thinking about a third pill for my CL1H. I use the light for bogyman detection while hiking with my dogs in the woods at night, and as a backup to my headlamp. I too really just want the simplicity of off/on and momentary on. You can half click the 3SM for sort of momentary-on, but it's easy to lose the high setting. I really never use anything but high with this light. Pill #3 coming up! The modular nature of Dereelights is a two edged sword. Advantage: To get added functionality, you don't have to buy a new light. Disadvantage: To get added functionality, you don't have to buy a new light.:grin2:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my CL1H V4 3SD Q3 5A in a similar fashion while walking and mentally count to 3 before releasing the momentary on to maintain the same setting w/o clicking on.