SureFire G2L Alum Bezel Has Diffusion Film?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a replacement aluminum (hex) bezel with the threaded retaining ring for a G2L. The old window was prefectly clear. This one looks as if it has diffusion film on the window. However, it doesn't seem to be on the outside. I haven't tried to pick it off the inside, in part because if it's on the inside I'm guessing SF intends it to be there.

Do all the aluminum bezel G2L lights ship with this film on the window, or is it a protection film (in which case it should be on the outside, but isn't)?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Some of the P60L drop-ins had a smooth reflector so Surefire added a diffuser to make the beam smoother.

That could be one of the diffusers but I'm not sure.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's right - In the early days of the P60L with the G2L SureFire experimented with whether it was better to put the beam smoothing on the reflector in the form of the stochastic "orange peel" finish, or with a thin sheet of diffusing film on the inside of the window. They got things together and went with the reflector finish.

cfromc

Enlightened
I've tried the G2L all different ways, mirror P60L w/clear Lexan, w/diffused, OP P60L w/clear, and w/diffusion. The mirror P60L w/clear threw the best and was a (very) little ringy and the OP P60L w/diffused window threw a little less and had a smooth beam and the other two combos were in between. Surprisingly the difference between all four was not nearly as much as I expected.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, interesting. I've got two of these that are the same. P60Ls with smooth reflector and Alu hex bezels with dif windows. I've used the P60Ls in 6Ps with pyrex windows and they were fine so maybe I'll peel the diffusion film out of the G2 bezels.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the "smooth" P60L without the diffusion film does produce a noticeably worse beam, to my eyes. Any minor gains in terms of throw aren't really worth it, in my opinion. I would rather have the smooth beam.

Regards,
Tempest