Rayovac Xtreme 4W 3C LED question:led change 2008?

rob1326

Newly Enlightened
New here, first post. Just got the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W 3C LED at Sears for price match of $24 and noticed that the 2007 marked blister pack LED's had a small yellow square area around the LED. 2008 package light that I chose did not have this. Anyone care to speculate what this means in terms of still Cree led, circuit, performance?

(Also, being new to this, am confused how manufacturers can say 100 hour runtime, when this light has been tested and gets a lot less? Is there a reasonably priced light that will go 100 -200 hours at reasonably useful brightness like an old 2D cell or 2 X AA light? Have my eye on the Garrity Aluminum 3aaa 1 LED K009 that claims 220 Hours?)

Thanks,
rob

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you mean the difference between this and this? If yes, then all that means is a difference in manufacturing plant. They both have the same performance if they are from the same flux bin.

As for runtime, don't believe it. The light is probably direct drive(not regulated, no circuit) and I'm guessing 10 hours to 50% at most. As for usable light, I'm not sure maybe 100 hours is possible. As for 3AAA lights, at 200 hours, you might be able to see the LED glow. The runtime is either random or till the LED can't be seen glowing(as in well past usable light).

An old 2 cell light at 100 hours? I don't think it'll hold barely usable light to 50 hours, much less 100. 2AA much less(the minimag hits 50% output at 40 minutes and starts at 8 lumen, in comparison, a good LED light on low stays at arouns 10 lumen for 50 hours before dropping out of regulation).

:welcome:

rob1326

Newly Enlightened
The LED looks more like the second photo- the one that says Cree Xlamp. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for run time- as has been noted, the package says DC/DC "Regulated circuitry provides maximum light output throughout life of battery." How would this change your estimate???

Appreciate the other info.

rob