TK20 or TK11 or ..

freek

Newly Enlightened
Currently I'm looking for a more compact replacement light of my 4D Maglite with led. I'm looking for a thrower, as I'm using my Petzl for close by. I'll mainly use it in the forest and open field for outdoor activities.
I came across a couple of interesting ones. So I checked forums, specs, movies, reviews etc to compare them. I found some images on the throw as well, but best comparison is always having them in your own hands ;)

-Fenix TK11 (R2) max 240 lumen
-Fenix TK20 max 150 lumen (due to the neutral white led it's supposed to be better for outdoor use and use in foggy and rainy weather.)
So quite a difference in lumen, different batteries and different led.
But what about the throw, anyone experience with them?

Any advice is welcome helping me to make a decision.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK20 is a very good 2AA thrower, practically as good as the TK10. TK11 is slightly better. It also dependes of which kind of battery you want to use. Also what kind of tint you prefer. TK20 tint is very like incan light.

Regards, Patric

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to TK20.

It´s my best Fenix ever! Solid, built for outdoors, and the LED does not look exactly like an incan. Actually, it´s not that cold white LED, nor yellow like an incan bulb. It´s a yellowish LED, but whiter than a normal incan.

I love mine... great for outdoors due to it´s solid construction and HUGE throw for a 2xAA light.

Can´t go wrong on it! :thumbsup:

There is a lot of TK20 reviews in CPF, with lots of pics and opinions.

Last edited:

Stromberg

Enlightened
If AA format isn't necessary, I'd go for the TK11 R2. It's incredible thrower for its size and gives nice runtime too with 18650. Also works with CR123 primaries and rechargeables so you can choose what suits best for you.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
It really depends on which battery type you are wanting to use.
The TK11 will out throw the TK20 but the regulation is not as good and it uses 18650 batteries which you may or may not like.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
the Olight M20 Warrior is pretty similar to the TK11 but has a bigger reflector and thus throws better

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the TK20 outdoors as my main light. The "neutral" tint is indeed better than the pure white, you see things in forest better with it.

If we go on a nightcache, I take another light with me, the TK10 for example. i like the OP reflector and the smooth beam. I won't say that it throws better than the TK20, but it's better to locate reflectors. The TK11 surely will throw further.

As the TK11 and the TK20 are quite different, I can't tell you which one you should buy. Best is, you read reviews, have a look at the beamshots (outdoor!) and decide which one will be better for your needs! :thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my TK20 for outdoor use. Makes a good beater light. :) I'd like to see a SF F04 style diffuser for it as it would make it better for close range tasks.

freek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the fast reactions.

I've read some reviews already and browsed quite a lot through CPF. Checked for some beam shots. Found another site with quite some nice images on it.
http://www.ledmania.cz/fotky-venku
and of course checked the movie on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjlCIaihXc
but then I still had that feeling, hmm I like them both :thinking:

about the batteries, well AA is everywhere available and cheap. But this is not really an important issue for me, I'll use rechargeables anyway. so I don't mind if it is AA, RCR123, or 18650

on throw at normal condition I would expect that the TK11 would beat the TK20. But I was wondering if the TK20 would really function "better" in outdoor situation (in the forest or open field) due to the neutral white led, which gives a bit that yellow tint. Or if its just a nice sales chat and the TK11 performs just as good in the forest, but with a further throw.

I'm thinking of buying the TK20 (and PD30 for another purpose), but I won't be surprised if I'm ordering another thrower within a few months. something like the RaidFire Spear. Just nice for the collection :grin2:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested the TK10 against the TK20 in a forest and to my eyes, the TK20 really works better. I would say that things have more contours, while white light flattens them.

I remember a thread (about the Sundrop IIRC) here, where somebody said that there was an aminal in the trees he couldn't spot out with his (or her) LED while another one had a weak incandescent where you immediately discovered the animal in the beam.

The PD30 is great too, quite small, but powerfull. The combination with the TK20 could be interesting too!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint of TK20

About the tint of TK20 it's very pleasant for the eyes, more comfortable than the cooler tints. And it reveals details better against dark colours like brown and green. But I will oppose it's neutral white. While incan lights have a yellow tint, TK20 has a beige tint. Anyway according to my personal color seeing.

Regards, Patric

firelord777

Enlightened
If your use is the outdoors, the answer is obvious, get the TK20. But if you don't care about details out in the forest or whatever, get the TK11. although it is brighter, it is more expensive, not to mention the lithium primaries that are expensive over time and in an emergency situation, where for example you are in a car crash at night and it is raining, the TK's body will be much easier to grip and will penetrate the rain much better.

I always prefer my TK20 over the TK11(my opinion) because, althought the TK11 is smaller, the TK20 is rugged, reliable, and is easy on my eyes, meaning I don't have to strain my eyes just to see if that really is a bird on a tree at a distance.

Or get both, although I sort of regret the TK11, very expensive batteries.

-Brighter doesn't mean better-

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any neutral or warm tint LED's but that's just cause I like cool and white.
Fenix makes a couple great AA lights. My first Fenix was the LD20, a beauty. It's a good thrower for it's output 180 lumens, the TK20 has a larger reflector so it'll be a great light too.
The TK11 on the box says 285 lumens, I bought one and it is quite abit brighter than my LD20 and slightly brighter than my PD30 which is very compact.
My advice is buy both, find out which you like to use for what, one can be for your coat, other for work. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
As one of the resident Eagletac fans, I'd recommend the T20C2 Mk II eagletac. It throws considerably, and is a nice light. 300 actual OTF lumens.

The cheaper T100C2 Mk II also has decent throw - it is less lumens, but throws almost as far. It's almost, but not quite 1/2 the price.

The T100 only has 2 settings, and the lower setting is lower than the 60 lumen medium setting of the T20C2 Mk II. But, it's a great light for the money and is my night stand light (so the low setting doesn't blind me when I need it to find something in the middle of the night).

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love both my TK11R2 and TK20 equally. Two great lights, very solid and durable.

The TK11 does throw more than the TK20.
The TK20 has better color rendition.
Different battery types, long runtimes on low, which is not that low in both cases.

Try the Pick 2 exercise and see if one fits more than the other: Throw, color rendition or battery type.

For more picture comparisons, see my huge flashlight comparison thread in different outdoor environments:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282767

I say you'll likely want both anyways... I did!