Custom L1 (my first mod)

foxtrot824

Enlightened
First off let me apologize for the poor quality pictures, I only have a 2 megapixel camera that happens to be attached to my phone:thumbsdow.

I have been playing with Surefire and Surefire legos for a bit now but this is my first major mod. I started with a newer Cree L1 that I used the head for something else and was left with a body. I then picked up an old school ribbed KL1 head. I removed the regulation circuitry and swapped in a P4 led. I have kept the optics stock but I am looking for an orange peel reflector that will fit. I then removed the L1 step up board and replaced it with a badboy rev 4 500ma board (I think this may be a step down for light output). I finished it off with a clip off an E1B and rc123. I have been toying with the idea of using a single rebel LED but I am still looking for optics that would fit that as well, I'm open to suggestions.

I can try and get some beam shots but again my camera is very poor and would not be an accuract representation of the actual light output.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I then removed the L1 step up board and replaced it with a badboy rev 4 500ma board (I think this may be a step down for light output).

Be very very carefuly now that you have replaced the driver with a Badboy. The Badboy converter does not have open load protection. You if you ever remove the head & activate the switch by accident you will fry the board. Guess there's really no reason to remove the head but if it is ever slightly unscrewed to the point where it's not making connection with the body & you accidentaly push the momentary switch, the driver will go :poof:.

I guess good practice would be to always check that the head is on tight & if ever removing the head for some reason, remove the battery first.