Lanyards on your EDC? Must have? Do not care either way? Hate them?

Lanyards on your EDC? Must have? Do not care either way? Hate them?

• Must have a lanyard on my EDC lights

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Prefer to have a lanyard on my EDC lights

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • Do not care either way if I have a lanyard on my EDC lights

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Prefer not to have a lanyard on my EDC lights

Votes: 42 28.0%
  • Must not have a lanyard on my EDC lights

Votes: 22 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I think most people on the forums will agree that for an emergency use flashlight, some sort of a lanyard is a "must have". How about for your EDC lights, though? Do you like having a lanyard on your EDC lights? Do you not like lanyards on your EDC lights? Do you not care either way?

I am more of the "do not care either way" camp for my EDCs.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been EDCing a light for 5 years now and never felt the need to have a lanyard. For me it just gets in the way, and is more likely to get caught on something before the actual event of $#17 hitting the fan.

I'm in the "do not care either way" camp as well.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I don't usually have my EDC or any other light on a lanyard, but lights used for outdoor applications must be equipped to attach a lanyard quickly and easily. There are those times when you really don't want to become separated from your light. Incidents on boats come to mind...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my EDC lights with lanyard holes have one, I am very prone to dropping lights:sigh: and I find it is a must:thumbsup:. I only wish my EDC-P7 had a hole for one:mecry:.

ozner1991

Enlightened
i so dislike lanyards. they get in my way, one more thing that can fail when i want it to work, they wear out, something that can snag when i try to grab my light.

just my 2 cents

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I always put a short rawhide "pocket pull" on my small AAA and AA (L0D, E0, E01, Arc, Proton Pro) lights to help removal and give a bit more to hold on to. They've saved a few ugly drops. Also gives a loop to hang up the light. I guess you could call them lanyards.

Geoff

RGB_LED

Enlightened
It really depends on the light... for my small edc lights (1xCR123 / 1xAA) such as NC EX10 / D10 / P2D / UF C3, I tend to use a lanyard since it actually helps to keep it in its holster if it doesn't have a flap on it. In actual use, I will usually just wrap the lanyard around a finger or two and not around my wrist.

For 18650 lights (SF 6P, Deree CL1H, etc), I usually don't like having lanyards but prefer clips... but I guess that's another survey.

mwaldron

Enlightened
I used to really hate them, they seldom made it out of the packaging of any new gadget before it was disposed of in the trash.

...but...

Lately I have been developing an appreciation for them, especially the shorter hand straps. I still don't want them on my EDC gear, they just get tangled in my pocket and prevent me from getting to my light or knife when I need to.

I've been looking around and snagging them up wherever I could to include 2 or 3 of them in my gear bags. There is something to be said about being able to "drop" your light or HT and not have to worry about it going splat on the ground.

Tangential to this, does anyone know of a good source of quality hand straps or short lanyards? I seem to have "lost" all of mine in a previous life... :) Quality ones appear to be fairly hard to find.

scottaw

Enlightened
I said must not, but that's for edc, for camping/hiking I use an L1 with a lanyard around my neck and a headlamp. but for edc and my uses, clip is the way to go.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Tangential to this, does anyone know of a good source of quality hand straps or short lanyards? I seem to have "lost" all of mine in a previous life... :) Quality ones appear to be fairly hard to find.

If your light does not come with one, you can always do it yourself with some basic lanyard supplies. The reward of going the DIY route is that you get the exact lanyard size, color, etc. that you want.

But anyway, back to the original topic...

So far, the poll is leaning towards not having a lanyard on the EDC lights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a very short braided elastic fingerloop (like people use to tie their hair), usually wrapped tight around the tail of my Fenix 1AAA whichever. Out of the way but I can deploy it if I need to, and makes a nice teeth cushion when wound.

I don't consider it a lanyard...or is it?...

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
I use a Fenix P3D in a holster as my EDC and on occasion, I've wished for the lanyard to be on it..like when dangling my light over an area where dropping the light would lose it..and there's wind or other elements that can compromise my grip?

Home defense situations where I'd carry my P3D in hand and gun in the other (even though my gun has a TLR1 weaponlight, I prefer to initially clear/illuminate my home with the handheld light), I think it would be wise to have a lanyard around my wrist for when it's time to drop the light and get two hands on the gun. But then maybe it's advantageous to toss the light and a lanyard may impede that.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
None of my EDC lights has a lanyard on it as I find they get in the way for me. However, they are all capable of taking one, so I can attach one if I think it is needed.

The L1D I keep in the car as an emergency light, does have a lanyard attached.

GreyShark

Enlightened
I use one on my 6P which is my EDC. It's only big enough to pass one finger through. The major advantage is that I can flip the light onto the back of my hand and be able to use both hands for a task but still have the light immediately available. It also makes a nice alternative to those weird combat grips for a cigar type hold.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything I EDC gets a lanyard. Most are ones I made myself out of inexpensive 550 paracord and some lanyard parts - all of which cost very little per light. They are easy and they all have a lobster claw or similar on the end so I can unhook the light from the cord if needed.

Dave.

Newly Enlightened
I have one on my EDC and on my heavy-use light, both for different reasons. On my L4 it is to provide a clip to attach to a belt loop so as I don't loose it, but also so as it hangs out of the way in my pocket and can easily be grabbed when needed. It also makes teeth-holding a bit safer. On my 9P it is there because I bought it! :p Also, as I whipped the body to make it more comfortable to use in the cold it kinda made sense to go the whole hog.

Here's both:
lanyard.jpg

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I use one, sometimes I don't. It mostly depends on if the light has a clip or not for me.

I sell lanyards on the marketplace. Check the link in my sigline for details. :D