Fenix PD20 review

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD20

The Fenix PD20 is the latest iteration of the Fenix line of 1xCR123A based lights. This pocketable form factor seems to be rapidly becoming a staple of many brands packing a powerful torch into a very small size.

Fenix PD20

Meat and Potatoes

To call the PD20 a new model would be slightly overstating the facts. It really is much more of a series of evolutionary updates from the venerable P2D. As such it behaves as much the same light with some key changes that are, in my opinion, generally improvements.

The PD20 still sports the same user interface as it's predecessor; featuring both the head-loosened General Use mode (low-medium-high-SOS) and the head-tightened Turbo mode (Max power-Strobe) with all of the varying levels a mere half click of the tailcap away. This user interface allows quick access to both minimum and maximum power while tucking the other modes in relatively easy to get to locations, yet still out of the way.

The Q5 binned Cree XR-E LEDs that were considered premium options on the previous model are now the standard emitter. This boasts an output of 180 lumens on Max and is really an impressive amount of light for an unit this size. It is noticeably brighter than many lights in it's class. Unfortunately, as Fenix merely swaps out the emitter for more efficient versions, not only does the Max brightness increase, but the Minimum as well.

Fenix has addressed a couple of my pet peeves from the P2D in this model. There is now physical anti-reverse polarity protection preventing you from frying the light by putting a CR123A cell in backwards. Also, they have removed the bright flash of light when starting the light in the low mode. Another apparent new standard is the choice of a textured reflector rather than the former smooth one. This renders the beam that much more even and inviting than previous. Definitely a welcome addition.

Textured Reflector

The remainder of the changes seem to exist in the body shape and aesthetics. Fenix has definitely shown their increased knowledge of milling and machine work. The light has been given anti-roll function, slight crenelations to the bezel, better knurling on the tail, and a slightly more exposed tailcap switch. To my overly critical eye, these changes, though welcome in theory, tend to give the light a little bit of a patchwork appearance in practice. I'm not certain I like the overall outcome. However where a light should look it's best is not in your hand or on a table, but in the dark shining on your intended illumination target. Also since aesthetics are purely opinion based, I am sure that there are those who truly love the new design over the sleeker look of models past.

Constructive Criticism

One area I am not at all fond of for this light is the switch. I can understand selecting a reverse clicky switch for this style of UI so I will not fault it there, however this particular model seems to be incredibly touchy about when it is being pressed. An extremely casual brush against it will often trigger it to the next mode and intending to change modes can accidentally switch it all the way off. I would personally like to see something with a little more resistance used for this light.

Also focusing on the tailcap, I must draw attention to the scallops around the switch that I assume are there to offer slightly better access to the still recessed button. The idea is to give your thumb more purchase while retaining the ability to tailstand. In my opinion this is a mistake. All that is really being accomplished is limiting tailstanding stability and not really affording an access premium to the lights operation. This isn't as much trouble in a short light such as this as it is with other longer lights that use the same technique. I still believe that this is one area that should be all or nothing. Either give us a full base to stand on, or grant us tactical access to the switch. Don't mix and match. It doesn't work.

My final critique is for a light with this many modes, it doesn't seem right to not have a genuine low mode that is more compatible with fully adjusted night vision. As Fenix introduced the higher efficiency LEDs they should also have re-programed their lights to reduce the low to more extreme levels. This would even further increase the runtime as well as give the light a more broad spectrum usefulness to tackle any situation.

Fenix PD20

Conclusions

Even with a few minor annoyances, this light has packed a voluminous quantity of usefulness into a very pocketable size. With the outstanding efficiency of a Q5 bin Cree, Fenix has provided a very adept and efficient product at a reasonable price. An excellent choice for those times when space is at a premium, but quantity of light cannot be compromised.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
I received a PD20 at Christmas. Comparing it with my L2D-CE, I swear the L2D throws further. I know perception isn't terribly reliable but it sort of surprised me. What the PD20 has a lot more of is spill. When shining into my backyard, the PD20 really lights it up where the L2D seems to put more of it's light into the hotspot. This seems to contradict most of the reports I have seen regarding the PD20.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds to me a little like the difference between a textured reflector and a smooth one. The extra light in the spill would be the effect of the texture dispersing some of the light and smoothing out the artifacts.

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Nice review.

My Friend has one for EDC he loves it.

I opt for the 2xCR123 PD30 but I see his and it really tempting to save that much space in my pocket

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad little review, thanks. :twothumbs
I agree with your criticism, especially the all or nothing for the tailcap. Personally I think that design will be bent out of shape much easier due to an unfortunate fall to a hard surface; it's just not as tough.

As for the wanting of a low low, I agree and have said so for awhile. The thing is that the great efficiency of the Fenix lights comes from the variable current controller. And a power LED really drops efficiency when the current goes down below a certain level (~50mA irc). In order for a Fenix light to get a lower low afaik they'd need to add a PWM circuit into the light which would add to cost and maybe muck up the UI. :mecry: So we're kind of stuck until they change the circuit to be more like that of the Zebralight H60.

bodhran

Enlightened
Great review. I've had mine for a couple of months now and don't go anywhere without it in my pocket. Many of the Firemen I work with are buying them now for their helmets.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad little review, thanks. :twothumbs
I agree with your criticism, especially the all or nothing for the tailcap. Personally I think that design will be bent out of shape much easier due to an unfortunate fall to a hard surface; it's just not as tough.

As for the wanting of a low low, I agree and have said so for awhile. The thing is that the great efficiency of the Fenix lights comes from the variable current controller. And a power LED really drops efficiency when the current goes down below a certain level (~50mA irc). In order for a Fenix light to get a lower low afaik they'd need to add a PWM circuit into the light which would add to cost and maybe muck up the UI. :mecry: So we're kind of stuck until they change the circuit to be more like that of the Zebralight H60.

Excellent point. There is a spot where the XR-E looses efficiency with lessening current, however I have a suspicion that the low mode on the PD20 is not quite down to that level. I will have to check it against my Spartanian II later today and see how it compares to lvl. 4 (which is 50mA and the first level w/o PWM I believe). I'll let you know what I find (unfortunately based entirely on perception).

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! :thumbsup:

I also share your critics about the tailcap and the low while I didn't have any special problems with the switch yet, perhaps mine has a slightly different behavior? The only problem I have is related to the small size of the light and my quite large hands : It's difficult for me to switch it on or off with one hand, the tailcap doesn't me in that point. I got a PD30 as well, no problems on that side anymore!

Now, I don't understand one thing : My PD20 (and the PD30 also) has a smooth reflector! :confused:

Fenix speaks about an overall new designed reflector for both lights and it's clearly smooth in their pictures, even on the beamshots you recognize it as SMO. I would have wanted a textured reflector, because I'm not happy with the beam, I preffer a brighter spill while I don't like Cree-rings. Fenix doesn't say a word about a textured reflector. Why do I always end up with the SMO while I preffer OP? :ohgeez:

Flenser

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a P1D-CE, and love it.

Aside from the tail-cap switch on the PD20, why would one prefer a PD20 over the P1D-CE? It's a little larger than the P1D, and for a small light, that would seem to be a negative.

Does anyone think Fenix will release a PD10 that is an update of the P1D?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a great review!

Actually a PD20 is already in my shopping cart together with among other lights a LD20. Today I had not considered P2D and L2D because of the slipper surface and bad holding. These successors have better grip, and in my opinion the new design is an improvement! Will wait some week before sending away the order.

Regards, Patric

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured my P2D at 50mA on low, which I think is close to the efficiency drop-off of XR-E's, but I can't find the efficiency chart. It runs 50, 220, 470 on low, med, high, and 1100mA Max.
There is a spot where the XR-E looses efficiency with lessening current, however I have a suspicion that the low mode on the PD20 is not quite down to that level. I will have to check it against my Spartanian II later today and see how it compares to lvl. 4 (which is 50mA and the first level w/o PWM I believe). I'll let you know what I find (unfortunately based entirely on perception).

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
A few of points about the pd20, firstly, the new tailcap design is unstable tailstanding at best, also , why design a "small" light only to put it in a bulky TK10 type holster, the p3d/p1d type holster would be more suitable for a small EDC.
The strobe flashes at a much higher frequency than the old p2d but imho is slightly too fast as opposed to the p2d which flashed (again imho) too slow.
The lower low is much better than the p2d.
The PD20 is availiable in BOTH OP and SMO just be careful you get the one you want!
In SMO it can throw nearly as well as my TK11! and is a lot less ringy.
In reply to Flenser,I also have a p1d q5 and an lod , altho the ui's and identical ,I love the lod but cannot live with the p1d's ui, there is no comparison between the p1d and the pd20, they are totally different lights , also, my pd20 appears to be much brighter than my p1d (using the ceiling bounce method)
Geoff

chibato

Newly Enlightened
The PD20 is availiable in BOTH OP and SMO just be careful you get the one you want!

fenix-store.com/4sevens does not seem to give an option and I couldn't find anywhere on the site where it specified which reflector you get, so I contacted them and was informed that they are all OP. I also checked fenixtactical and batteryjunction, but did not find it listed on those sites either. Where did you get the SMO?

BTW, thanks for the great review aardvarksagus.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix-store.com/4sevens does not seem to give an option and I couldn't find anywhere on the site where it specified which reflector you get, so I contacted them and was informed that they are all OP. I also checked fenixtactical and batteryjunction, but did not find it listed on those sites either. Where did you get the SMO?

BTW, thanks for the great review aardvarksagus.

I got my SMO from qualityflashlights.at

I'll never understand why Fenix doesn't give informations on their website about the reflectors, and that from the beginning of the sales on! I didn't wait for an OP as I didn't know they offer one! :scowl:

The SMO is less ringy than the OP? Maybe, but until now I thought it was just the opposite... :confused:

The throw is great with the SMO and the hotspot is somewhat tight and really bright.

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
Lighthound also offers both reflectors.

In SMO it can throw nearly as well as my TK11! and is a lot less ringy.

Similarly, IMHO, the hot spot on the textured PD20 throws almost as good as the TK10... but the spill on the TK10 is brighter and smoother.

Last edited: