My greatest creation ever.....

yekim

Enlightened
I have done a bunch of board swaps and jerry rigged tons of lights together from spare parts that I have received from the fine folks here @ CPF, but this one is my favorite. I can't remember who I received it from, it came to me in a baggy, a project that was abandoned. I Wish I had taken a picture of the bag or my progress.

Anyhow, it started life out as a 2aa .mil style angle head lite. It had two complete siblings that went to bring joy to my friend's kids.

Photo17.jpg

Hopefully you can see the Luxeon something or other in here. I have no idea what it is, just a spare mounted on the remains of a heat sick from a Terralux conversion that died. It is driven by a L2P driver that I received from millermods. The main reason I did a LED conversion on it was because one of the brass straps that came off the rivet from the switch inside had fallen out requiring me to run wire inside, since I had the soldering Iron out....

Photo18.jpg

Bright enough, it was not meant to be a monster. Lately I have been finding myself enjoying lights for other reason other than sheer brightness.
Photo19.jpg

I am just proud of the focus. The things I did to get this light to work are nothing worthy of sale by any means, my skills are in making things work with things that don't work, and beauty and craftsmanship sorta get stuck by the wayside.

Anyhow, thanks for looking.

yekim

Enlightened
No optic.

The reflector's tail was shaped so that a bulb fit inside so it was a matter of divining a way to get a LEd to fit in there. The little heat sink was just the right size and with a little shimming and glue it is held in place...I am a bit less proud of the method of mounting the driver board. At least it is really nice 3m electrical tape, in red no less.

I wish I could remember the fellow who sent it to me, i might have to go through some old IM's it has been a while. I do remember that they had intended to do a lux swap but got sidetracked, so that was kind of the motive. I have had this light for a while in a little sandwich bag.

There is nothing fancy about it, just for me it was my first "real" incan to LED swap.

Crimony, I was looking back and discovered that these are L1P not L2P drivers. I am sure I have a fix for this somewhere, it was a bit on the bright side, maybe a home made spacer...

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't that light take a standard pr2 style bulb? Wouldn't it be easier just to shove a drop in module into there? We don't do things because they are easier do we? I'm thinking that if I chose a host it wouldn't have been a plastic one for an LED mod.

yekim

Enlightened
Didn't that light take a standard pr2 style bulb? Wouldn't it be easier just to shove a drop in module into there? We don't do things because they are easier do we? I'm thinking that if I chose a host it wouldn't have been a plastic one for an LED mod.

This is a "whatchagot" project. If I had the proper stuff it would not be near as fun for me. I got a junk box full of parts and pieces and this was just something that came out of there.

Ever seen the show "Whose line is it anyway?" That is me with flashlights or anything mechanical...

:devil:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intended to use that as a small PR SMJLED host. With the SMJ unit installed, it didn't light up. Chances are, I just needed to reverse the polarity of the batteries, and I should have tried that first. But I didn't, and while troubleshooting it, I inadvertently popped the tab off the switch. (grr!)

I have too many projects lights in various stages of completion, and chances are I would have never got back to the anglehead.

Nice work! Glad to see you were able to make good use of it.

yekim

Enlightened
That popped tab is what spurred me to go LED. I needed to run a wire to get it to work, and then it would be a pain to rig up the contacts, so it was kinda easier to do it this way.

I just perused our IM's and you also mentioned a 3xcr123 mod for it.....now that I look at it a 9p's LA could be easily made to fit.....hmmmmmmm. A LED module with a light (350-500mah or so) driver running 2aa. I need to find more of these things :)

It should make a kid somewhere happy as heck when I am done with it. For now I am just going to run it 1aa with a dummy. My friends hate me because I have turned all their kids into flashlight junkies.