dive lights beam shots

obeck

Newly Enlightened
On a side note, I got my first ARC LS yesterday... and LS1. I put a fresh set of batteries in my
Ikelite Mini-C (4C cells driving a halogen bulb). The ikelite is about 13 years old. The LS1 was
differently colored but at LEAST as bright at the Ikelite. I was astonished! I am not sure which
Luxeon color would be the best for scuba, but I imagine that the scuba world would buy
waterproof luxeons enmasse as a backup dive light.
Advantages: very bright, very small and light weight, no worrying
about being caught completely without light due to dead batteries, and no worries about carrying
spare bulbs or handling halogens.

I dont do a lot of night diving, but I still carry a light on nearly every dive to improve colors underwater
and to look into nooks and crannies.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
obeck said:
.........I dont do a lot of night diving, but I still carry a light on nearly every dive to improve colors underwater
and to look into nooks and crannies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't dive much any more but this is the reason I usually would pull out a light. Unfortunately the LED's are not full spectrum and they are a bit shy on providing red to the picture. Of course red is the first color band to be filtered out by the water so it's the one color needed to be added. After diving in Maui this year in shallow water with good vis, I reflected on the thought of perhaps even a red LED light might be interesting in such conditions for adding the missing color to ambient. Has anyone tried this?
I seem to recall 30 years ago people using red filters on Nikonos when shooting black and white film in an attempt to restore a color balance. This would allow the red critters to lighten up in contrast.
Perhaps the new Luxeon's with warmer color will find a niche in dive light applications.

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
To continue on my thinking above (If I'm all wet, please set me straight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), I think a cool light to dive with would be a water proof A2 with red LED's! Certainly the regulated incandescent portion would be great for full spectrum light and perhaps the red from the LED's could be used in close for finding the reds that are present but not visible in ambient.

- Don

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an old beamshot i took a while back. I don't know if i ever posted it up before...so here it is.

On the left is my UKE Light Cannon HID and on the right is my Tigerlight. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the Light Cannon is noticably brighter than the Tigerlight. Not only is it brighter, but it makes the tigerlight look very yellow and weak in comparison.

fc9795c1.jpg