EOS battery drain

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
After perusing various parts of CPF over the last few months its come to my attention that some lights continue to draw small amounts of current even when they are off. Is this why my EOS is dead a month or 2 months after I install fresh batteries?

And could someone please explain why there is a continuous current draw?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch is not mechanical. It does not break electrical contact from the batteries. It's an electric switch which connects the battery to the circuit all the time hence the minute, constant current draw.

656nm

Newly Enlightened
To elaborate, the EOS uses a multi level driver, and the switch itself only sends a signal to the electronics telling it to select the next level. Depending on the MCU used, it could draw anywhere from uA up to a few mA when off.

Most of the current generation of programmable lights have the same design. If the switch does not click on and click off, it is probably always using some power.

d1337

Enlightened
After perusing various parts of CPF over the last few months its come to my attention that some lights continue to draw small amounts of current even when they are off. Is this why my EOS is dead a month or 2 months after I install fresh batteries?

And could someone please explain why there is a continuous current draw?

This seems strange. I have had the same batteries in one first EOS for over 9 months and the batteries are still alright. Are you using NiMH rechargeables? If you are that could be the problem. Many NiMH batteries loose their charge (self discharge) over the course of a month or two.

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
I have the first version of the EOS and its a few years old, but it has always had this issue. I'm using Rayovac and Duracell alkaline batteries, they are dead within a few weeks of sitting in a drawer. Plan to switch to LSD Nimhs for most AAA, AA and C applications down the road. Yes the EOS is regulated, but it also "clicks". I would love to buy 3-4 more of these headlamps to stash with lithiums (or LSD Nimhs) for emergencies, but if the batts are dead in just a few weeks why waste the money.

It sounds like this may not be typical of the EOS, anyone have any other experience?

likeguymontag

Enlightened
[...] Yes the EOS is regulated, but it also "clicks". [...] It sounds like this may not be typical of the EOS, anyone have any other experience?

It's a momentary switch, I assure you. Contact PT and see what they have to say. They may send you a replacement at no cost.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its an electronic micro switch ( momentary) , yes it kinda "clicks" but its still a momentary... Its that white thingy up there..

dsc04092va3.jpg