Headlamp recommendation to match with remote 18650x6 or x4 battery block/pack

cwoodffr

Newly Enlightened
Title kind of says it all. I use a big battery setup for long run time but looking for something better than what I have currently which is a Kaidomain BL2S
It works pretty well but seems to kick down in brightness after a while.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you're going through that much trouble...

From my nighttime mtn biking experience, I'd look for something w/ a GOOD/PROPER reflector for a great beam pattern.

Also, you're going to have a step down unless it's got great thermal mgmt or you keep output within limits. Can't negotiate w/ the laws of physics.

cwoodffr

Newly Enlightened
Can you explain further? I have the battery box and it all works quite well. We ride in sub zero temps so I want the extra room on battery life. I have only found high quality lamps that come with the manufacturers battery setups vs bare headlamps. With respect to step down, do you mean that the ~8v that these put out is too much? They are described as "with DC and USB interface; DC interface is for connecting 8.4V Bike light, USB interface suitable for connecting 4.2v Bike light head lamp, or charge cell phone in emergency"

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Simple. Small cooling fins and lamp not using LEDs with highest efficiency, XM-L2 are little outdated. 2200lm output (if true) from two XM-L2s mean they are little overdriven and therefore produce a lot of heat and maybe overheating protection trips when you see kick down in brightness. If you do not want this thermal stepdown, you either need to look for better LEDs, better heat management (more fins, copper pcb) or lamps with more LEDs or everything together - higher efficient LEDs produce less heat and prolongs runtime (more energy goes to light, less energy to heat).

We have our Lucifer L+ headlamp (soon upgraded to 3500lm) using XP-L2 W3 bin, its compact and uses highest efficient 3mm LEDs I know. You can run its second highest mode (1800lm) and stepdown wouldnt be an issue. Generally its more of an issue when walking, standing still or when your stop during your mtb ride. See picture attached, cooling fins must look like this to cool down properly 2000-3000 lumen output:

CelovkaZebrovani03.jpg

I can calculate how more efficient is the XP-L2 W3 than your current XM-L2 if I know its bin (maybe U2)?

Last edited:
1800 lumens is the Lucifer headlamp's "cruise" output level? Holy s**t!
(My regular headlamps are hanging their heads in shame...😞)

That noted, I'm also aware that Lucifer products come with an equally exceptional price tag. You do however get what you pay for. Thankfully, most of my backpacking excursions only require modest output levels of light. I rarely need more that 200-300 lumens in camp, and only occasionally more when hiking in woodlands at night.

Tell you what though, if I win the lottery, I'm gonna get me one.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Its not that expensive :) but its how it is, I would like to sell them for half prize, but I wouldnt pay my bills. Actually, I recommend to all my customers not to buy the most expensive lamp because it doesnt mean its the best lamp for everyone. I also rarely need more than 1700-1900lm. Camping 200lm, running with 400-800lm, running orienteering race 900-1700lm. Even 400lm is fine for mtb rides, although 800 are noticeably better.

I owe brother sirpetr an apology of sorts. I wrote that I thought his lights were pricy, but that was because my only exposure to the Lucifer headlamps was via an Alaskan musher who spent about US$500 on a 5000 lumen headlamp for use training his dogsled team and in running the Iditarod sled race. In view of sirpetr's post above, I visited the Lucifer website and found to my delight that there is a range of headlamps that feature exceptional engineering at a price pretty much in line with the better headlamps on offer from mass-market manufacturers. There is a little bit of a premium to be paid for top shelf materials and engineering, but looking at the technical specifications (you have to click on the Technical Information link at the bottom of the webpage), it's clear that the small price premium is worth it.

So, it looks like I've identified my next headlamp. Now I just have to choose which one...

cwoodffr

Newly Enlightened
Its not that expensive :) but its how it is, I would like to sell them for half prize, but I wouldnt pay my bills. Actually, I recommend to all my customers not to buy the most expensive lamp because it doesnt mean its the best lamp for everyone. I also rarely need more than 1700-1900lm. Camping 200lm, running with 400-800lm, running orienteering race 900-1700lm. Even 400lm is fine for mtb rides, although 800 are noticeably better.
Can I run your lights with my 4x and 6x 18650 battery packs? If so, do you sell a version of the lamps without battery setups? Headlamp and mounts only?

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Can I run your lights with my 4x and 6x 18650 battery packs? If so, do you sell a version of the lamps without battery setups? Headlamp and mounts only?
If they are 8.4V batterypacks and have DC5.5/2.1 connector then yes, you can use them, however we cannot guarantee perfect connector fit as every manufacturer can make the sleeve around it little different. We can sell it without battery and charger, value of batterypack or/and charger would be deducted (we sell them seperately so you can see the prize). If you were to order, write me email and I tell you how to do it as its not order option now.