My new selfmade 5 x P7 Flashlight

Packesel

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

this will be my new flashlight.

cpffl19mrv.jpg

cpffl27ia6.jpg

The heatsink and the head are not ready, yet. The 6 x 18650 are connected in series and should give 2,75 * 6 = 16.5 V to 4,2 * 6 = 25 V. This should be enough to drive 5 P7 with a buck driver. Perhaps I 'm going to reduce the current to 2A. In spite of that the flashlight should be still bright enough.
Now I have the problem to find 5 reflectors for my project. They should fit without any problem so that I do not have to modify them. Is there an alternative to 5 McR-27?

Some specs so far:
length: 31 cm in my drawing
weight: about 1,5 kg
diameter body: 6,0 cm

Regards

Packesel

collector

Newly Enlightened
Any (metal) reflector can also be cut down...

What's the diameter inside of the head where the reflectors need to go ?

DocD

Enlightened
you could try this with the hole opened up http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18842
who knows what the beam might look like just an idea but i,m liking the design though would be nice to have a torch body that fits the larger men and womens hands :grin2: cheers DocD
ps may a magnetic switch with twist head :poke: been done befor and people could covert to a dive torch to expand your target sails

Last edited:

Packesel

Newly Enlightened
The head and the heatsink are not ready. The largest available borofloat lens at flashlightlens.com measures 89.05 mm. This would be my limit.
At www.ledil.com I have found a BOOM-S-P7 reflector. It looks quite good. Maybe there is a better solution. :confused:

easilyled

Flashaholic
If space is an issue I've heard that the McR20/McR20S reflectors work quite well with P7s.

The reflector holes would need to be enlarged and the beam would be more of flood than throw.

Packesel

Newly Enlightened
OK, I have modified the head and added 5 Boom-S P7 reflectors.

cpffl3joyo.jpg

cpffl4sozk.jpg

cpffl5fqem.jpg

The length of the Boom-reflectors is 14.34 mm. In the last picture you can see that the whole heatsink can be adjusted a little bit. It can be screwed back for about 10 mm. So any reflector up to 24 mm should fit. The diameter inside the head is nearly 80 mm. 5 McR20 should not be a problem any more. :)
But 5 McR27 will never fit. The head is to narrow. 4 could fit if I optimize the head a little more.

The DX-reflector is not what I 'm looking for. It is designed for 5 cree xre, not 5 P7 or 5 MCE. IMO it cannot handle the heat successfully.
I do not know much about diving. So this would only be a simple flashlight. :)

Jumi

Enlightened
The DX-reflector is not what I 'm looking for. It is designed for 5 cree xre, not 5 P7 or 5 MCE. IMO it cannot handle the heat successfully

Boom reflectors are plastic, reflectors purpose is not to conduct heat.
(except in P60 modules:D )
Juha

Packesel

Newly Enlightened
It looks very nice. If it were a waterproof (to 100m) dive light, I'd sure be interested in getting one!
I do not know much about dive lights. Sorry.

Boom reflectors are plastic, reflectors purpose is not to conduct heat.
(except in P60 modules:D )
I agree, but look at the heatsink. It is to small for 5 P7. The weight of my heatsink is about 0,5 kg (=1,3 lb =17,6 oz). This is more than the whole UltraFire MCU WF-1000L (12,24 oz)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18071
The reflector or heatsink your are talking about only has 2,5 oz (=0,2 lb =0,07 kg). This is a big difference.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

You get 5 mirrors in a smaller space (or larger mirrors in the same space) if you arrange them on a circle not a cross

eg.
dsc1952ik6.jpg

Not P7s but you get the idea ! Of course you don't have a central LED anymore so take your pick.

Cheers
Pete