Four Cell Mini Mag And Opalec NewBeam!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I bought two of the old discontinued "Maximizer", (a one AA cell MM body extension and special bulb), kits for the mini Mag. They didn't make much difference in brightness but the one AA cell body extension is very well made and matches up with the MM body perfectly. They eventually were put away because the Maximizer replacement bulbs were wildly expensive.

When Oplalec came out with the NewBeam, I found one of the Maximizer body extensions and tried the NewBeam making a 3 cell mini Mag. It worked great! I decided to try it with TWO of the Maximizer extensions to make a 4 cell MM but I couldn't find the other Maximizer and figured it had been lost through the years.

I stumbled on the "lost" Maximizer awhile ago and finally made a 4 AA cell MM! It works even better than the 3 cell MM with the NewBeam! It's at least 25% brighter with the 4 AA cells. It's probably being overdriven a bit with the 4 cells but so far so good and it keeps working fine.

It's a bit unusual looking as it's 11 1/4" long! As I said though the Maximizer extensions mate with the MM body perfectly so it's one unique and neat looking mini Mag! With 4 AA cells, the batteries should last almost forever with the NewBeam. It also has a nice comfortable feel and it can double as an emergency baton if needed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pix, please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is this "Maximizer" still being made? What kind of finish do they have? Someone on the board here makes a AA extension in his shop, but I don't know who it is or if they're regularly available or if they were a one-time run.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I would like to know too. Could run a MM+. A one cell extension for mini mag would be ideal. Bill

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
CNCDan is making these sometimes, but he is not always able to do them. You might want to email or PM him for details.

paulr

Flashaholic
Why mess with this? Several companies (including I think Brinkmann) are making 3AA lights comparable to the Minimag. Some even already have LED's, like the Lightwave 2100, CMG Reactor 3 (Luxeon!), etc.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am looking for a 3 AA cell host for the MM+. I like size of mini mag, and with added cell extension still would not be too long like other 3 cell AA lights. Bill

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill, you can order a Brinkmann Legend 3AA from Brinkmann's site, or if you can find some at Walmart or your local sporting store, it's a good host for an MM+ or a BB... You'll have to be careful, as you don't want to drive the MM+ with 3 lithium AAs; it'll more than likely make the LS release its magical smoke... 3.7-4.5V (NiMH or Alks under load) are probably the highest you'd want to go in direct drive mode...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry but I don't have a web photo host so I can't post pics. If someone wants to e-mail me, I can send them a pic to post.

The "Maximizer" is long out of production because they never sold very well. Even with the "special" pin bulbs they included in the Maximizer kits, you only received about a 10% increase in brightness. At about $15.00 a pop at the time, (about 10 years ago), people stayed away. They came in black only and were textured to exactly match the MM's. Their anodizing was superior to the MM's though and the finish is much more durable. They are handy now with LED technology. Doug is correct in that CNCDan has made MM extensions.

Falcon,
Awhile back, Wayne, (dat2zip), told me his sandwiches wouldn't work with anything above 3 volts. Has that changed?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,
I'm driving the BB400 in my McLux with 3.7V from a Lithium Ion battery, and it's buzzing happily around, albeit in direct drive. But it's bright, and it works...

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
Sorry but I don't have a web photo host so I can't post pics. If someone wants to e-mail me, I can send them a pic to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Gene,
there are ways around that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am a big fan of ImageStation myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For more info about posting pics, please check this thread:
How to post pictures.

Hope this helps,