Trying to decide between a 09 Fit and 09 Yaris for my next vehicle..

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris?

I'm thinking one of these two, 09's, will be my next vehicle. I like subcompacts.

Every professional review I read on the Fit is overwhelmingly positive. CR gave it the best in class for the 09. Unfortunately the price tag reflects that. Every professional Yaris review I read is not overwhelmingly positive, until you talk to the actual Yaris owners. They love the car, it's reliability and the cheaper savings over the Fit. Toyota has an extremely good offer on it's website for the 3 door hatchback, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two...

likeguymontag

Enlightened
Anyone have a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris?

I'm thinking one of these two, 09's, will be my next vehicle. I like subcompacts.

Every professional review I read on the Fit is overwhelmingly positive. CR gave it the best in class for the 09. Unfortunately the price tag reflects that. Every professional Yaris review I read is not overwhelmingly positive, until you talk to the actual Yaris owners. They love the car, it's reliability and the cheaper savings over the Fit. Toyota has an extremely good offer on it's website for the 3 door hatchback, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two...

I have not driven either vehicle, but I have read a number of reviews. You're right, every review of the Fit is universally positive. Most reviews of the Yaris are fairly positive. The Fit gets my vote though, and yes, partly because I'm a Honda guy. It has a chasis stiff enough that it can be tuned into a decent, if underpowered, track car. It's ergonomic enough that it won Top Gear's Mom Test. Of course, it was competing against a Peugeot and a Renault, but hey.

Don't forget the residual value when it's time for another new car. Right now, Fits are so in demand that they're essentially sold out. A friend had to wait three months to take delivery of his because it was being shipped from Japan. The Yaris may not be in such high demand, which is good for buying one now, but bad for selling it later unless market conditions change.

Whatever, test drive both of them, and get the one you prefer. Life is too short to drive a car you don't like.

I recommend the Ford focus or Volkswagon Passat.

A Focus is a roughly comparable car. The Passat is not at all similar, and is a strange suggestion for someone looking at the Fit and Yaris.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my '08 Fit and from what I read the '09 is even better. I did not look at a Yaris but did compare it to a Scion XD and just felt the Fit was a bit more refined. Are they dealing at all with the Fits? At the time of purchase last July, gas was $4 a gallon and the economy hadn't sunk quite as far and the dealers were not budging from the MSRP and in fact it was hard to find one without dealer added fluff options.

Here is a good fit forum that answered a lot of my initial questions.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother loves his Peterbilt truck but I would never recommend one to anyone on the Internet.

With regards to the Fit and the Yaris, flip a coin. They're both good cars. I thought about getting a Yaris, myself, for driving to/from work but we don't really need a third vehicle so it's not going to happen.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a car last month. I had also been looking at the Fit and the Yaris. For me, the Yaris was a bit too small and didn't have as many features as the Fit. The Fit I test drove was an '08 model, not an '09. However, I had the same concern over the price. In the end however, I ended up buying a Nissan Versa. The initial attraction was that I was able to get it for over $3000 less than the Fit. Other pluses were that it had almost 4" more rear seat legroom, much better drive quality (less noise and vibration), and did not seem as cramped on the inside. Some other points that were pluses for me but maybe not for others were that it was available without power windows (break too often) and the sedan I bought was 7" longer than the hatchack and had a huge trunk for daily storage. Now for the drawbacks. The better ride comes from extra rigidity and thus weight so the gas mileage is a little lower than the Fit. And the Fit wins the appearance battle too, the Versa is just a plain little car. And although the Versa's front seats recline fully and the hatchback's rear seat folds down, neither has the fold flat seats like the Fit. The "swiss army knife" versatility of the Fit wins the interior storage battle also.

For me, styling was a side issue and the ride quality vs. mileage balanced the two cars out. I didn't figure the interior versatility and styling benefits of the Fit was worth paying $18K instead of the $15K for the Versa. The one thing that did make me consider spending the extra $3K was some of the reliability ratings I saw online. But deeper research on the Versa showed a lot of the initial quality problems reported were for the 2007 model, specifically a batch of bad fuel pumps, that seemed to have been mostly corrected in the 2008 model. And I saw no specific problems reported for the '09 modes, so I figured it probably wasn't worth the extra $3K since any initial problems such as were reported with the '07s should bbe covered by the warranty.

I have been very happy with the Versa since I bought it. Going from a V8 F-150 to the Versa did take some getting used to. But it was just the strangeness of a new vehicle after 10 years in the truck. Some differences due to the size, but nothing actually uncomfortable or objectionable. My only real complaint is the placement of the cupholders. The ones for the rear seat are fine sandwiched between the back of the front bucket seats. But the ones fro the front are not comfortable for me. I have the seats fully back, so the front cup holders are too far forward and awkward to use. You have to go over the gear shift lever and under the overhang of the dash. Temporarily, I am using an aftermarket cup holder that wedges between the passenger's seat and the parking brake. But that bloks the 12V power point and the brake, so I am looking for something better.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If a pic speaks 1000 words, 2 pics speak... volumes? :)

I think you should get a:

Can you tell I love mine? :)

I get good mileage in the city, great mileage on the road. Handles great, and has enough room for a small family.

My only complaint (and this applies to ALL Toyota cars I've ever owned or driven): the seats are not as comfortable as they should be.

Last edited:

Brock

Flashaholic
If you look at real world overall mileage numbers it looks like the Yaris has better overall mpg numbers, if that make a difference. One of my co-workers is a diehard Honda fan and bought the Fit, now she is seriously considering selling it for a Yaris, her mpg numbers are lower than the civic she traded in.

likeguymontag

Enlightened
If you look at real world overall mileage numbers it looks like the Yaris has better overall mpg numbers, if that make a difference. One of my co-workers is a diehard Honda fan and bought the Fit, now she is seriously considering selling it for a Yaris, her mpg numbers are lower than the civic she traded in.

That's crazy, how could that be possible. :thinking: It wasn't a "Civic" CRX HF, was it? It's also crazy that she's considering trading it in for a Yaris. I'm sure the Yaris is also a great car, but she'd lose so much money on the transaction and on depreciation that she'd never, ever make it up in fuel savings.

Maybe she's just having too much fun shifting at redline. :cool:

Brock

Flashaholic
I know, I thought no matter what she does now she's out money, then again maybe it's on a lease? I don't know. She does drive a lot, her boyfriend lives about 250 miles from here and she runs over there every other weekend. Still complaining about 34 mpg (her last one got 37) sounds funny, although I am at 55 mpg over 87,000 miles ;)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I test drove a Yaris sedan and thought it was surprisingly nice. Had a comfortable ride...probably not good for sporty drivers...but I prefer a cushy ride over sport. It had pretty good pickup for a small motor. My understanding, after looking at all the user reviews, is these get better than the EPA claims. 40~45 mpg on the hiway is commen. And also very good around town.

Never drove the Honda Fit, although I did look at them. The dealers were charging MORE than the sticker price...a high demand charge...so to speak. I just couldn`t handle the better than everything else crap "Hey...if you don`t buy it the next guy will". So I never even test drove one. But of course the Honda is a great car too...not going to take that away from them.

Guess this is no help...tough choice. Can you rent one of each...decide over the course of a few days?

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I have a 1990 Ford Festiva. It has 252,000 miles and the gas mileage has dropped to about 44 MPG. I plan to replace it next year when the Ford Fiesta becomes available in the USA. I do like the look of the Yaris and was considering it.

likeguymontag

Enlightened
I have a 1990 Ford Festiva. It has 252,000 miles and the gas mileage has dropped to about 44 MPG. I plan to replace it next year when the Ford Fiesta becomes available in the USA. I do like the look of the Yaris and was considering it.

The new Fiesta is hot. I just love Ford of Europe's "Kinetic" design language. Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta, all so pretty... The only thing the Fiesta needs is a SVT version with a variable-vane turbocharger or something. Now that would be a sweet car.