5W Luxeon running on AAs?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know everyone is anticipating the release of the retail versions of 5W luxeon LEDs (KL4, TL-3 LED, etc.) but in the areas of mods, does anyone have any plans to power the new 5W luxeons with AA batteries. I'd love to see a drop in module that I could use my NiMH AA batteries in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry for the Noobie question, but the more I read on here the more my mind starts to conjure up ideas. Its almost like a sickness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens Blaster VI is a 5W flashlight that can be run off of 3x CR123 or 6x AA size batteries (supplied with two battery holders)

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Energizer is currently running a 5W using 7 AA and one 2.2 ohm resistor. Bright and warmed up a bit.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
At the risk of flooding my e-mail, to be fair I must tell you that a DIY kit is in the works so you can run your 5W just like THIS ...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
At the risk of flooding my e-mail, to be fair I must tell you that a DIY kit is in the works so you can run your 5W just like THIS ...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the neat 8 AA PT Surge assembly be easily modified to give a 8 AA in series instead of the 4 series/parallel arrangement ? I really like that compact gismo.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, I don't have a surge, so cannot tell. However, if you are thinking about modifying the surge to accept 5w, be warned though. The body of surge is plastic, and cannot take the excess heat from the 5W. Without proper heatsinking, it is death to the led.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked into Electrolumens 5Wer and was very impressed. However, with Arc and Surefire's regulated lights, I've become very spoiled.

Does Wayne have any intention on making his Blaster VI regulated? I'd buy it today if it could give me a constant output over the life of the batteries like a Madmax or BB500!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
The PB or the Zebra Charlie???

[/ QUOTE ]

The PB -- see post number 34 HERE...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Oh my... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I wasn't going to spend any money for awhile after spending a small fortune to set up my UBH II, but now...