Which led flashlight to use instead of Mag Solitaire ?

Jaunedeau

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

In the building I live in, the ligthing of the corridor is very bad : I d'ont see well the keyhole of my door, the light switch is 3 meters from my door, and a few days a month the light don't even work.

So I need a light, handy, keyring, flashlight that I can always have with me, but don't use more than 30 seconds a day.
I have two mini mag solitaires with incandescent bulb that I boughtfor $15 a piece a few years ago. They do their job well (I change the alkaline AAA once a year).

But now I'm going to buy (or make ;) ) a battery charger, and now we have those low self discharge 800mAh AAAs, and those super efficient leds (well, maybe not that efficace when you need a charge pump on them, but still better than the incandescent 1.5V), so maybe it's time for me to look for a flashlight :
-Still light so I can have it on me all the time (with my keys)
-Well constructed (don't want to buy another one in 6 months, but it don't have to be built like a tank, the mag solitaire is sturdy enough for me)
-Produce a bit more light than the solitaire (I d'ont mind if I have to recharge the batteries every 3 months, so it can draw 4 time more current than the solitaire, and with 2 or 3 time more effciency, it would mean 10 time more lumen)
-Run on 1 AAA (CR123 not easy to find here, and I don't want to buy/make a 3V lithium charger for only one cell !)
-A more even repartition of the light if possible
-Cheap. I've seen many great flashlight in the $50-$77 range on ebay, but I'm looking for something below $20.
-I don't really care for SOS and 256 output levels :)

Lots of candidates on DX's CREE AAA page.
-Tank007 seemed perfect (more than 50 lumen, 7.5cm, and cheap), but quality of the switch and body doesn't seems to suit my needs :(
-"DX Cree R2 Cree LED Buckle Flashlight" is said to be not as well build as the solitaire, but still might be good enough and has R2.
-Rominsen RC-B3 should be interesting (good reputation of rominsen for the quality, more lumen than solitaire and will last long enough. If the the hea was not 0.5cm larger and 1.5cm longer than the Tank007, I would not hesitate picking this one. Also it's P4 when UF A3/A6 is Q5)
-Ultrafire A6 seems to be well constructed, is light and Q5, but does'nt like the 1.2V of AAA nimh. Ultrafire A3 seems to like them (and it's bright, I would have to recharge every 2 months or so, but if quality is ok and like output is worth it... why not !
-Finaly, the Nichia GS from the Fenix E01 might not compare to the CREE, but build quality will certainly be at least as good as the solitaire, light output might not be worst, and it $15 (but is there a point in buyer it to replace my solitaire ?)

Any help / other models ?

Regards,
Jaune

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased the Buckle light KD sells, MAX version, and am pleased with it. It is well built and puts out about 60lm with an eneloop. They also have a couple of models of the same light that put out less light for longer runtimes.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Finaly, the Nichia GS from the Fenix E01 might not compare to the CREE, but build quality will certainly be at least as good as the solitaire, light output might not be worst, and it $15 (but is there a point in buyer it to replace my solitaire ?)

If you only needed to change your Solitaire battery once a year, you could stick a lithium primary in an E01 and probably be good for 10 years. :D It has great runtime, and it's regulated so no gradual dimming like the Solitaire. It sounds to me like it would fit your needs very well.

Jaunedeau

Newly Enlightened
>If you only needed to change your Solitaire battery once a year, you could stick a lithium primary in an E01 and probably be good for 10 years. :D It has great runtime, and it's regulated so no gradual dimming like the Solitaire. It sounds to me like it would fit your needs very well.

Even with a 700mAh LSD nimh, I'd have to recharge it once at most twice a year, which is acceptable. The probleme is that it might not be very very bright (global output seems to be about twice the solitaire, but center light seems to be half of it) Can you confirme ?

>I recently purchased the Buckle light KD sells, MAX version, and am pleased with it.

Yes, this one is also in the list, but I was not shure whether KD could ship to europe. After verification it seems to be ok, so maybe this is the one (even if I will have to recharge every two months :p)

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello imho anything is a better option than the mag solitaire . I will say you cant go wrong with the fenix eo1 especially the ss ltd edition ,nice thinking of one for my own key ring . Lol cliff

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for an LD01 and why not go for the Stainless Steel version (although it is a bit heavier).

This way your good for your everyday needs, but have more when you need it in a car or power outage, etc.

I've not tried the LSD in them yet, because as posted above a Lithium AAA is so simple and lasts forever.

If the LD01 is too bright or too many modes for you, then replace the bulb in your Solitaire with an LED (SMJLED) and rock on.

Another solution is the Micro-Stream, AAA, simple on/off click switch, very reliable, less than $20.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with a 700mAh LSD nimh, I'd have to recharge it once at most twice a year, which is acceptable. The probleme is that it might not be very very bright (global output seems to be about twice the solitaire, but center light seems to be half of it) Can you confirme ?

Going by memory of the Solitaire, with fresh battery and focussed beam, the Solitaire's 'spot' might be brighter. Solitaire's soon start to dim though, and I'd say the E01 has a generally more useful beam for wandering dark hallways, and regulation keeps it consistant.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
For what you need, these fauxtons might serve you really well. Much brighter than a solitaire, and one would likely last you quite a while:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12270

Not much to them and they are direct-driven, so nothing really to break. However, if you want something that is quality and will last many years, go for a Fenix LOD/LD01 or E01.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Not so long ago (1 year?) one could still buy led upgrade kits for the Solitaire. They were 3mm leds that even used the stock reflector and had an output like a Fenix E0 or somewhere between an ARC BS and CS. I still use it and it is quite useful for it's intended purposes.

Nowadays, sadly, the Solitaire is the only Maglite for which no upgrade kits are readily available from Nite-Ize, Terralux or whoever.

So... I suggest getting the Fenix E01. Should you be interested, you can also have a look at a Peak Matterhorn, ARC AAA or Fenix LD01.

All will put out far more light than the Solitaire and will serve you well.

Kind regards,
Joris

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want "forget about it till you need it" then the E01 is just right. Its the best, Maglite solitaire direct replacement in the price range you seem to be looking for.

if you want something more all round balanced, and a really decently powerful light for more situations, the LD01 is good.

Crenshaw

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Marduke

Flashaholic
The E01 is going to be your best bet. It's cheap, way more durable than your Solitaire, and could go years between battery changes.

It is several times brighter than your Solitaire. Put a AAA lithium primary in it, and it will last for about 10 years on that single cell with your usage.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
I have the Tank 007 and am very pleased with it. The switch has very good feel, overall construction seems great, and it is very bright with a pretty nice beam and a long throw. I was going to buy a Fenix but as long as the Tank keeps working I won't need to. You could buy two 007s for under 20 bucks, and I know other CPF people will recommend the high dollar lights but so far I'm fine with the Tank.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the EO1. It will blow away a Solitaire in every area.
Runtime: Solitaire-11 minutes to 50% brightness
EO1-11 hours before going into moon mode for another 10, double with a lithium battery.

Build quality:Solitaire- Type II anodize and plastic reflector (causes loss of light more than glass or no lens)
EO1- Hard anodized, knurling, with no lens to break, no bulb to break

Bulb lifetime: Solitaire-10 hours per bulb EO1-100,000 hours

Price: Solitaire- $5 EO1-$12.50-$15 (difference in price is gained back in saving from paying less in batteries and bulbs. It pays for the difference in price before it's first battery goes dead.

An LD01 will spoil you too much. You'll be on a never ending quest for something brighter and smaller.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Micro-Stream!

Very good clickie with a great beam, it uses a SMD LED like the Nichia Rigel (might be the Rigel)
Also the clickie won't engage by accident as it takes force to depress.

Can't say that for a twisty like the Solitaire. Last one I had lost its head.